PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rams coming home

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rams coming home

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 am

Rams are heading back to LA after 20 years. Eric Dickerson is happy!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -to-follow
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Re: Rams coming home

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:23 am

To Cleveland?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 am

So sad at seeing this.
Last edited by PonyKai on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:F*ck the NFL.

Kroenke is awful. Not even Spanos wants to work with him
CalallenStang

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:31 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

Kroenke is awful. Not even Spanos wants to work with him

They are reporting that the Chargers have a deal in principle with the Rams. If the Chargers were going to move to LA, letting the Rams get a head start would have been crazy.

It is going to be interesting to see where the Raiders end up.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:59 am

I think there are real issues with the Rams returning to LA. I was assigned to LA for several years in the early 1970s and attended a number of Ram games in the Coliseum. At that time, the attendance was nothing special. Maybe 45 -50 thousand in a stadium that held nearly 100,000. Tickets were easy to get and many locals enjoyed UCLA and USC football much more for a variety of reasons. Laker and King tickets were very tough gets and the Dodgers played so many week night games that their tickets were no problem. The LA area has a variety of more things vying for the entertainment dollar that any place I can think. Californians would just as soon be on the beach as spending a Sunday afternoon stuck in a massive traffic jam just to see a game. Yes, the road systems where the new stadium will be located are nightmares commensurate with all LA standards. Not sure any rapid transit will service this location. Bottom line, the Rams have had only had 4 winning seasons in the last 21 seasons in St. Louis. If the Rams do not have a winner after the first 2 year honeymoon, the franchise will not be supported and the whole thing will be a loser. There was a reason the franchise left LA for St. Louis and those same reasons have not changed. I would not want to imagine what traffic would be like if San Diego made the decision to join the Rams in LA with their fan base initially seeking to drive to LA.

At some point teams like the Chargers and Raiders must come to grips with the idea that they have great fan bases and should curb their greed and stay where they are appreciated and thrive. Green Bay proves this point in every aspect every year.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 pm

I am happy to see the Rams back in LA but and hopeful the Chargers stay in San Diego and Raiders in Oakland. Nothing is worse than losing your team. I support the Texans, but never like the Oilers.
mustangxc

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:35 pm

mustangxc wrote:I am happy to see the Rams back in LA but and hopeful the Chargers stay in San Diego and Raiders in Oakland. Nothing is worse than losing your team. I support the Texans, but never like the Oilers.

I feel bad for Rams fans because fundamentally there is nothing "wrong" with their existing stadium and their "support" for the team was consistent with the team's performance.

As for the Raiders, I have mixed feelings.
1) The Raiders simply do not have the money to build a $1B stadium in Oakland;
2) The Oakland Stadium is a trainwreck that probably needs to be condemned soon;
3) Oakland and California probably don't have the funds to help build the Raiders and the A's a stadium;
4) Jerry isn't going to let them move to San Antonio; and
5) I doubt that they would agree to pay a $500 "relocation" fee to the NFL to move to St. Louis.

#Rock #Hardplace
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:14 pm

I don't know, seems like the raiders could manage to scrounge up $500 somewhere.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby S....M....U » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:38 pm

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame/SMU football game and doesn't care who wins" - Dwight David Eisenhower

Hail to the Red and the Blue.

S...........M............U

Moody Madness
S....M....U
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 pm

MustangStealth wrote:I don't know, seems like the raiders could manage to scrounge up $500 somewhere.

If that were true, their owner could probably afford a better haircut than this one: http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/ostler/ar ... 757374.php
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm

"Football is family" might be the worst, most transparently [deleted] commercial I've ever seen.
Last edited by PonyKai on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyKai

Postby orguy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Digetydog wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I am happy to see the Rams back in LA but and hopeful the Chargers stay in San Diego and Raiders in Oakland. Nothing is worse than losing your team. I support the Texans, but never like the Oilers.

I feel bad for Rams fans because fundamentally there is nothing "wrong" with their existing stadium and their "support" for the team was consistent with the team's performance.

2) The Oakland Stadium is a trainwreck that probably needs to be condemned soon;
3) Oakland and California probably don't have the funds to help build the Raiders and the A's a stadium;
5) I doubt that they would agree to pay a $500 "relocation" fee to the NFL to move to St. Louis.

#Rock #Hardplace[/quote

Never have been one to worry too much about facilities but the situation in Oakland is untenable. Went to an A's game last season and while enjoyable there is no doubt that place needs to be torn down. The mount davis fiasco ruined a beautiful stadium. The A's owner Lew Wolf is a real estate guy who bought the team and hedged that they would get to the Silicon Valley if MLB renounced the Giants territorial rights. Did not happen. Wolf will likely move the A's to another metro area that is willing to build the A's a new stadium using public money.

The Raiders pleading poverty is absurd. This was the same argument that the SF giants used when they tried to get the city to build them a new stadium using taxpayer dollars. At the end of the day they were able to work out the financing and invest private money into Pac Bell. Worked out quite well for the Giants. Corporate welfare for professional sports franchises is not popular in California (excepting the wealthy Silicon Valley). The Raiders should plan on fending for themselves if they wish to stay in the bay area. Sad for Raider Nation if they chose to leave California but such is the landscape of modern professional sports.
orguy
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Digetydog wrote:

#Rock #Hardplace

Not only that, STL had a proposal for a $1.1 billion stadium for the Rams which the NFL rejected because they asked the NFL to pay for $200 million of it, which apparently is $100 million over the "league policy" (which surely the league could change if they truly wanted to keep the Rams in STL).

The Rams were always LA's team but the way that STL got screwed by this is astounding.
CalallenStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:06 pm

I can't wait to see all of the discussion on ramfans.com in 2018 still talking about the "I'm Coming Home" from the first season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop