PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rams coming home

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rams coming home

Postby Digetydog » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:36 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:I think there are real issues with the Rams returning to LA. I was assigned to LA for several years in the early 1970s and attended a number of Ram games in the Coliseum. At that time, the attendance was nothing special. Maybe 45 -50 thousand in a stadium that held nearly 100,000. Tickets were easy to get and many locals enjoyed UCLA and USC football much more for a variety of reasons. Laker and King tickets were very tough gets and the Dodgers played so many week night games that their tickets were no problem. The LA area has a variety of more things vying for the entertainment dollar that any place I can think. Californians would just as soon be on the beach as spending a Sunday afternoon stuck in a massive traffic jam just to see a game. Yes, the road systems where the new stadium will be located are nightmares commensurate with all LA standards. Not sure any rapid transit will service this location. Bottom line, the Rams have had only had 4 winning seasons in the last 21 seasons in St. Louis. If the Rams do not have a winner after the first 2 year honeymoon, the franchise will not be supported and the whole thing will be a loser. There was a reason the franchise left LA for St. Louis and those same reasons have not changed. I would not want to imagine what traffic would be like if San Diego made the decision to join the Rams in LA with their fan base initially seeking to drive to LA.

At some point teams like the Chargers and Raiders must come to grips with the idea that they have great fan bases and should curb their greed and stay where they are appreciated and thrive. Green Bay proves this point in every aspect every year.

I would add that LA is 50% Hispanic & 10% Asian, not the most ardent NFL fans.

Between drive time and the game, a fan from Orange County would devote 7 to 8 hours on game day, a fan from SD, over 10 hours. Not worth it except for the truly die-hards.

There are a [deleted] of Mexican-American fans of the Cowboys and the Radiers. IMHO - it is one of the reasons why Jerry didn't want the Raiders in LA.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Digetydog wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:I think there are real issues with the Rams returning to LA. I was assigned to LA for several years in the early 1970s and attended a number of Ram games in the Coliseum. At that time, the attendance was nothing special. Maybe 45 -50 thousand in a stadium that held nearly 100,000. Tickets were easy to get and many locals enjoyed UCLA and USC football much more for a variety of reasons. Laker and King tickets were very tough gets and the Dodgers played so many week night games that their tickets were no problem. The LA area has a variety of more things vying for the entertainment dollar that any place I can think. Californians would just as soon be on the beach as spending a Sunday afternoon stuck in a massive traffic jam just to see a game. Yes, the road systems where the new stadium will be located are nightmares commensurate with all LA standards. Not sure any rapid transit will service this location. Bottom line, the Rams have had only had 4 winning seasons in the last 21 seasons in St. Louis. If the Rams do not have a winner after the first 2 year honeymoon, the franchise will not be supported and the whole thing will be a loser. There was a reason the franchise left LA for St. Louis and those same reasons have not changed. I would not want to imagine what traffic would be like if San Diego made the decision to join the Rams in LA with their fan base initially seeking to drive to LA.

At some point teams like the Chargers and Raiders must come to grips with the idea that they have great fan bases and should curb their greed and stay where they are appreciated and thrive. Green Bay proves this point in every aspect every year.

I would add that LA is 50% Hispanic & 10% Asian, not the most ardent NFL fans.

Between drive time and the game, a fan from Orange County would devote 7 to 8 hours on game day, a fan from SD, over 10 hours. Not worth it except for the truly die-hards.

There are a [deleted] of Mexican-American fans of the Cowboys and the Radiers. IMHO - it is one of the reasons why Jerry didn't want the Raiders in LA.

There are 2 million Hispanics in LA, of course 'there are a [deleted] of Mexican-American fans, but the fact remains Futbol is still the favorite sport. I do believe NFL football is growing in popularity.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:15 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

There are 2 million Hispanics in LA, of course 'there are a [deleted] of Mexican-American fans, but the fact remains Futbol is still the favorite sport. I do believe NFL football is growing in popularity.

Based upon my family's experience and with other Mexican-American families, the first and second generations family members born in the US are NFL fans.
- But, it will be interesting to see if that holds for Central/South American immigrants and for "new" Mexican immigrants.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Hispanics love the NFL, especially the Cowboys. Just go to a cards' game in Phoenix and see for yourself.
smusic 00

Postby soccermom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:07 pm

We were talking about this last night during the game and commented how phoenix plays games in a college stadium and, as far as we know, they don't complain about it and want a gazillion dollar stadium.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm

soccermom wrote:We were talking about this last night during the game and commented how phoenix plays games in a college stadium and, as far as we know, they don't complain about it and want a gazillion dollar stadium.

I believe the only thing college about that stadium is the name "University of Phoenix Stadium". It's a corporate sponsorship.

And yes, a huge Mexican contingent was at the Cowboy Cardinal game that I travelled to in Jimmy J first Super Bowl run. There had to be a least half stadium Cowboy fans, most were from El Paso.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 am

soccermom wrote:We were talking about this last night during the game and commented how phoenix plays games in a college stadium and, as far as we know, they don't complain about it and want a gazillion dollar stadium.

They moved out of Sun Devil Stadium years ago
CalallenStang

Postby whitwiki » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:54 am

whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 am

The University of Phoenix is a for profit, online university. Until JerryWorld got built, the University of Phoenix Stadium was arguably the fanciest in the NFL. That stadium will be on the regular rotation of Super Bowl and CFB National Championship sites?
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop