PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any CFA Charterholders or Candidates around?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Any CFA Charterholders or Candidates around?

Postby RebStang » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:17 am

Just got my results back from Level 1 (passed!) and I'm trying to figure out my study plan for Level 2 in June. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Level 2 prep course or is the CFAI material enough?
RebStang
All-American

Re: Any CFA Charterholders or Candidates around?

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Congratulations! I'm watching an online review course for Level III right now. Kaplan Schweser. If you don't pass in June, you get next year's material for half price. Do lots of test questions!
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby RebStang » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Congratulations! I'm watching an online review course for Level III right now. Kaplan Schweser. If you don't pass in June, you get next year's material for half price. Do lots of test questions!

I'm looking at Schweser and think their material is good. Just wish they provided the videos in the lower priced packages. I know they're good but $1,400 is a tough pill to swallow after dropping $860 to register for Level II (since you can't register until you know which test you'll be taking).

Have you heard anything about the Wiley stuff? Their price tag is appealing to be sure - with my student discount, I can get the package I'd want for less than $700.

Lots of practice questions is definitely good advice. I screwed up my timetable going into December and only took one practice exam and I feel like that really hurt me on the exam. I passed but scored in the 50-70% range on a few sections that I know I should have done better on.
RebStang
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 am

If you're comfortable with Wiley, go with it given the dramatic price difference at this point. Schweser isn't the end all be all. Assume you live in B'ham so hopefully the local chapter has a subsidized live mock exam from Schweser. That's very useful and has great online video answers.

Key is end of section CFAI questions and augmenting with Wiley notes and questions. Good luck!
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby RebStang » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:56 pm

I tried the trial with Wiley right before I went to Atlanta for the level 1 exam and thought it seemed pretty good. Of course, it's hard to argue with Schweser given the number of people I saw with their faces buried in that quick sheet they provide during the lunch break.

I'll have to look into what the local chapter does for candidates. Since I'm in Tuscaloosa now I haven't really been to any of the Birmingham area stuff. One of my professors is very involved so he may be able to point me in the right direction on that. Fortunately, he also wrote a couple of the readings on derivatives for Level II, as well.
RebStang
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop