PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 Men's Lax

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2016 Men's Lax

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am

On a related note, they just released "Casey Powell 16" for Xbox and PS4. It does a pretty good job of recreating the game.

You can download (only) it for $50.

The game doesn't have any licenses, but they get around it in a way likely to get them sued by allowing you to download an update that overwrites the generic teams in the game with all the NCAA and MLL teams.

Son and I played Albany v Denver last night using MLL rules because the kid insisted on trying 2 point shots (sigh). Still trying to figure out the controls, but it has a variety of shots and checks. The shooting mechanics are hard to get used to, but probably just add to the realism. Denver beat Albany by a goal.

It does have a career mode and online play, neither of which I have tried. Next step is to create a Southlake team and an SMU team of course.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: 2016 Men's Lax

Postby SMULaxer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:54 am

gostangs wrote:Rumor is UT SMU A&M and Baylor all do it together. Have heard that for awhile so no idea how real.

Gary Crum said the same thing at the field dedication.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:14 am

Hope lacrosse fans caught the Denver at Notre Dame game yesterday. Denver won in OT 9-8 Denver pretty much dominated through 3 quarters until all hell broke loose in the 4th and ND scored 4 goals in 43 seconds.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:Hope lacrosse fans caught the Denver at Notre Dame game yesterday. Denver won in OT 9-8 Denver pretty much dominated through 3 quarters until all hell broke loose in the 4th and ND scored 4 goals in 43 seconds.

That's why they call it execution
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:31 pm

The 30 for 30 on the Duke Lacrosse scandal is riveting. And as a dad of a lax player, a bit terrifying
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 pm

There's a special place in hell for Nifong. Government actors behaving in such a way should terrify everyone.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stc9 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Texas State drops out of the top 25 after going 2-2 on their road trip east. Wins at LSU & UCF. Losses at FSU & Liberty.

They were the only other LSA team that was ranked. SMU is still holding at the #25 spot (often when having the week off it is out of sight, out of mind)
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 pm

How's the attendance at lacrosse games?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:24 am

SMU club lax games? I only went to the OU game and there were no open seats so I had to sit on the ground. That being said, I was a little surprised at how very little seating there is at the scrum field. Some people brought chairs.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:27 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:SMU club lax games? I only went to the OU game and there were no open seats so I had to sit on the ground. That being said, I was a little surprised at how very little seating there is at the scrum field. Some people brought chairs.

Might be a first in SMU history; "we built a sports venue for SMU and it didn't have enough seating for fans."
PonyKai

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:02 pm

I will say unfortunately the Crum field does not have sufficient seating for d1 lacrosse.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smustatesman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:21 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:I will say unfortunately the Crum field does not have sufficient seating for d1 lacrosse.

Man that's crummy about the lack of seats.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby Boston Pony » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:17 pm

You can get by with 500 - 1000 seats at the field. While some of the largest programs have 5k or play in football stadiums, most are in secondary fields. Many D3 teams play on fields with no permanent seats -- it's fun with folding chairs & BBQ grills right on the sideline areas across from the teams. I think Michigan plays in their indoor practice facility which has limited seating and then play the important games in the 'Big House', which seats more (like 100k more).

I assume that Crum could take a small amount of temp seats if it ever needed to to it. The assumption is that if lacrosse goes varsity, it'll be the Women first followed by Men.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby stc9 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Boston Pony wrote:You can get by with 500 - 1000 seats at the field. While some of the largest programs have 5k or play in football stadiums, most are in secondary fields. Many D3 teams play on fields with no permanent seats -- it's fun with folding chairs & BBQ grills right on the sideline areas across from the teams. I think Michigan plays in their indoor practice facility which has limited seating and then play the important games in the 'Big House', which seats more (like 100k more).

I assume that Crum could take a small amount of temp seats if it ever needed to to it. The assumption is that if lacrosse goes varsity, it'll be the Women first followed by Men.

It is very rare that a club program would have their own facilities. Florida State's lacrosse field belongs to them, since the former HC raised the money, but even then it was shared with the football team during the fall - if they needed to practice on Turf. Crum is very rare since the club team is the primary user. If SMU ever went D I, I would be willing to bet that at least half of the home games would be played in Ford.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I haven't been to an sum soccer game in 20+ years so I don't know what attendance is like, but I don't think Crum would accommodate even the most poorly attended game.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop