PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

$1.15B raised by SMU is largest total for a private Texas un

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: $1.15B raised by SMU is largest total for a private Texa

Postby gostangs » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:36 am

I think our payout on the endowment is 4.7 right now vs 5 - not 100% sure on that. Either way your points are valid - there is no way we get to 2 billion without some major gifts to the endowment. Most endowments grow below 10% on average as you pointed out - not 12 %

I do think there is some planned giving that will kick in within 5 years that could move the needle for us - but we are going to need to find some new sources and pretty big ones at that.

I also don't think we will wait anywhere close to 5 years to start the next one. We cant afford not to start another one any longer than 3 years in my view. Too much to do if we are really trying to get inside the top 50.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: $1.15B raised by SMU is largest total for a private Texa

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:44 pm

gostangs wrote:I think our payout on the endowment is 4.7 right now vs 5 - not 100% sure on that. Either way your points are valid - there is no way we get to 2 billion without some major gifts to the endowment. Most endowments grow below 10% on average as you pointed out - not 12 %

I do think there is some planned giving that will kick in within 5 years that could move the needle for us - but we are going to need to find some new sources and pretty big ones at that.

I also don't think we will wait anywhere close to 5 years to start the next one. We cant afford not to start another one any longer than 3 years in my view. Too much to do if we are really trying to get inside the top 50.

Well, SMU: A Time to Lead ended 2002, and SMU: Second Century Campaign started the 'quiet phase' in 2006, and the 'public phase' in 2008.

Perhaps the planning has already started, here is the 2016-2025 Strategic Plan, http://www.smu.edu/AboutSMU/StrategicPlan, so we can hope for the 'quiet phase' to begin in 2019, and the 'public phase' in 2021 and completion of about 2026? Perhaps we shall move up the timeline.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop