PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

College decision time!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: College decision time!

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:42 am

Good for her.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:44 pm

gostangs

Postby oilpony » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:25 pm

smudubs wrote:Barring a miracle, it looks like our daughter will be heading to Trinity. Wait listed at Colby and Brandies. Rejected at Wellesley, Bowdoin, Bates and Williams. Waiting on Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth today. Stranger things have happened, but I am anticipating three more rejections. 96% on the SAT and a 3.5 G.P.A. I guess it's how it works sometimes. At least she got into the only school in the state she was willing to attend and got scholarship money.

Outstanding school. Congratulations to her
oilpony
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:35 pm

smudubs wrote:Barring a miracle, it looks like our daughter will be heading to Trinity. Wait listed at Colby and Brandies. Rejected at Wellesley, Bowdoin, Bates and Williams. Waiting on Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth today. Stranger things have happened, but I am anticipating three more rejections. 96% on the SAT and a 3.5 G.P.A. I guess it's how it works sometimes. At least she got into the only school in the state she was willing to attend and got scholarship money.

So roughly a 1400 on the SAT. It seems like your kids have attended very good high schools so it sounds like she'll be very well prepared to succeed. Congrats on closure...contingent on remaining school decisions. Trinity has very cool, motivated students.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Going through this all over again.
Applying to the master's program for philosophy - something SMU does not have.
Turned down by Tuft's (#1 program in the country) but accepted at Boston U and Houston. Waiting for Tulane, Texas, and Stanford. Will also send out applications to NYU and Columbia.
I got reminded just how nerve racking this is.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 pm

leopold wrote:Going through this all over again.
Turned down by Tuft's (#1 program in the country) but accepted at Boston U and Houston. Waiting for Tulane, Texas, and Stanford. Will also send out applications to NYU and Columbia.

It would be great if more schools told us how their students performed.
http://philosophy.gsu.edu/retention-graduation/ Georgia State's MA in Philosophy program is very forthcoming.

Ithaca College beats every school I've seen in its opaqueness about students' next steps after college.
http://www.ithaca.edu/ir/student-consum ... ctivities/

It would be VERY interesting to see that type of info for SMU vs. UT, Tulane, etc.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smusportspage » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Don't give up on Yale quite yet...http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/11/0 ... -increase/. Article from Nov. 2016 says that they are increasing their 2021 class size by 15%.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:07 pm

smusportspage wrote:

Don't give up on Yale quite yet...http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/11/0 ... -increase/. Article from Nov. 2016 says that they are increasing their 2021 class size by 15%.

Yale admitted 6.9% of its applicants. It's the fourth lowest in the Ivies behind Harvard, Columbia and Princeton. Cornell receives more apps than any other Ivy and Dartmouth is by far the lowest.
http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/04/0 ... ates-drop/

Cassandra was admitted by all eight Ivies, plus Stanford, Amhert and USC School of Communications. Will be interesting to see which one she chooses.
http://highschool.latimes.com/author/starraptureblog/
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smudubs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 pm

smusportspage wrote:

As I expected, she got rejected to the ivies. We were on our way to visit Trinity when she got the decisions. The good thing is we all really liked Trinity and got to see our son who was competing in a track meet at Trinity the same day so we had our first full family dinner together since January. He won high jump and nearly cleared the height he needed to to qualify for the Div. III championships so all-in-all it was a good weekend.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Boy, that is a great weekend!

At a HS track meet tonight. A Clemson grad dad said his senior son at a top DFW public HS likes Clemson as well but is a good football player and is hoping to get "good news" from SMU this weekend at the spring game. Decisions still being made...

Talked with a dad whose son goes to small private college in the NW U.S. FOUR of his five best friends from Plano West went to SMU for business and engineering. The other friend went to OU. I'll guess that Plano West or Southlake Carroll are the top feeder schools to SMU. St Mark's School's #1 feeder is SMU but it's only seven. Highland Park may be too close and isn't as big as Plano West/Southlake.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 pm

My HP class had about 20 to SMU. And hp classes are 20% bigger now.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 am

Had at least 5 and I believe it was actually 7 from my senior class in NLR, AR go to SMU.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Zero from my class of 440 in east TX. Lots of Baylor though. Not sure if any TCU either. One Austin College. Clearly a down year for us. :)

Attended HS athletic banquet tonight -- two going to SMU! Others -- Baylor; USC; Utah and A&M. Two were undecided.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smusportspage » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am

Three from my class of around 850 in Northern New Mexico (Santa Fe).
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:34 pm

leopold wrote:Going through this all over again.

Did you study philosophy at SMU? Heard the other day Sverdlik is leaving. Love that guy.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop