PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

College decision time!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: College decision time!

Postby friarwolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 am

tristatecoog wrote:Met someone tonight whose kid is an Eagle Scout. Wait listed to SMU (top choice) and accepted to BU and TCU. Any recommendations for getting off the wait list?

Have the kid write a letter to his admissions contact stating his strong desire to attend SMU and very importantly, he needs to keep his grades up. Next grade period if grades are strong, send that to the admissions counselor. Have patience...........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 am

tristatecoog wrote:Met someone tonight whose kid is an Eagle Scout. Wait listed to SMU (top choice) and accepted to BU and TCU. Any recommendations for getting off the wait list?

I heard we are looking at upgrading our bball locker room [ahem] [cough cough].
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 am

smusic 00 wrote:

The parents filled out the FAFSA but are willing to pay full price. That combo seems to indicate they might swing for naming a locker but not the room. :D

Thanks friarwolf

ponyboy, did your second kid focus on BU all along? The first kid is key. Sibling often follows.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 am

Especially when you throw in significant scholarship $
ponyboy

Postby 72mustang1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 pm

update for 2021
72mustang1
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Have heard we are looking at another step up on student quality - which is hard to believe given where it is now. Will be interesting to see if Baylor has to cast a wider net on acceptences since they seem to be on the downswing.
gostangs

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:15 am

smusic 00 wrote:

Will pre-print diplomas for Bachelors and MBA for 1 IPF. (Frames included)
Bergermeister

Postby oilpony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

My son wants to be a movie director so he applied to both USC and UT School of Film. Unfortunately, he did not get into USC, that was his first choice, but he was excepted into UT's film school. We are very proud of him for getting into a top ten film school. Best part, UT will be a hell of a lot cheaper than USC!
oilpony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Was he excepted or accepted? You might have saved even more money.
gostangs

Postby oilpony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm

gostangs wrote:Was he excepted or accepted? You might have saved even more money.

Oops. Haha. nice catch. he was accepted
oilpony
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm

A friend's kid is studying film at SMU. What do you know about that program? The kid's scores were a bit below average for SMU but apparently there was a nice portfolio included. SMU may be building up its program.

USC and NYU are the best and super hard to get into.

I also heard of someone studying film at ACU. What differentiates programs?

I know another person who got in off the waitlist and is attending SMU. Leadership was key. Stats at SMU's average.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:59 pm

tristatecoog wrote:A friend's kid is studying film at SMU. What do you know about that program? The kid's scores were a bit below average for SMU but apparently there was a nice portfolio included. SMU may be building up its program.

USC and NYU are the best and super hard to get into.

I also heard of someone studying film at ACU. What differentiates programs?

I know another person who got in off the waitlist and is attending SMU. Leadership was key. Stats at SMU's average.

USC is near Hollywood and NYU is NYC (broadway). I feel its easier to draw people in the industry to teach to help supplement their income and find talent as well. Students want to be near the action as well, easier to get auditions when you are close to the action.
deucetz
All-American

Postby oilpony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 pm

USC film school facilities are second to none. The film school is a small version of a major Hollywood studio. It's incredible. Steven Spielberg's name is on one of two main buildings in the film school, George Lucas name is on the other. Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Comcast, Sony are some of the names on the various sound stages. Where the majority of film schools have one sound stage for tv and one for film, USC has three or four for each. They have separate stages for Virtual reality production and on and on. USC graduates own Hollywood. USC alumni is very much like A&M alumni, they are a very close knit group that look out for each other.
When some of the graduates/supporters are, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, Robert Zemeckis, Ron Howard and every major company in Hollywood you have some major fire power.
oilpony
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Wouldn't mind a chance to film the Trojan Dance Force
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smudubs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 am

Barring a miracle, it looks like our daughter will be heading to Trinity. Wait listed at Colby and Brandies. Rejected at Wellesley, Bowdoin, Bates and Williams. Waiting on Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth today. Stranger things have happened, but I am anticipating three more rejections. 96% on the SAT and a 3.5 G.P.A. I guess it's how it works sometimes. At least she got into the only school in the state she was willing to attend and got scholarship money.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop