PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cox MBA ranked #48

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cox MBA ranked #48

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:50 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2

2017 U.S. News Full-time MBA rankings
#16 UT-Austin
#25 Rice
#31 A&M
#37 UT-D
#48 SMU Cox
#57 Baylor
#63 TCU
#92 Coogs!

Cox seems to be about generating revenue through more degree programs, like the 12 month Fast-Track MBA program which costs $70K for tuition and fees. Once it gets established, that program will probably have less scholarship funding vs. the FT MBA program which is the one highlighted in rankings. I presume this program is largely incremental but takes a bit away from the two year program. Emory's Goizueta School has been successful with both the 1 and 2 year MBAs so this is Cox's model. Their one-year MBA costs $86K in just tuition and fees.

At SMU, there are also a slew of MS programs (Finance, Acctg, Mgmt, Business Analytics and Sports Mgmt). These all help people find jobs out of undergrad that couldn't get strong jobs with some more specialization. The MS Finance is held to 50% foreign students. The key is getting domestic applicants and UT-Austin has a good program as well.

A mentee of mine said that about 80% of the MS Acctg program students were SMU undergrads. They all get Big 4 jobs if they want them.

Anyway, Dean Niemi presents more about Cox BBA and the revenue enhancements and less about the FT MBA program. I presume Turner has been fine with this strategy. BTW, has Niemi really raised a lot of outside funding in recent years? Endowed professorships, scholarships and programs?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Re: Cox MBA ranked #48

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:23 am

Good analysis
Last edited by PonyTime on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RebStang » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:45 am

On the stats side of things, I'd love it if there was a way to distinguish GMAT scores based on whether someone took a prep course or not. I'm a bit biased but I think my 670 with no prep course at all is much more impressive than someone who scored a 720 after spending a couple grand on prep courses.

Of course, that's my fundamental problem with the GMAT, LSAT, etc - is it really an "aptitude" test when you can study for it and improve your score?
RebStang
All-American

Postby smustatesman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:06 pm

I cringe when I see the cost of a Cox 2 year MBA Program. I was accepted to the 1 Year Northwestern Graduate School Of Business MBA Program (Wasn't called Kellogg at the time) 1974/75. If I remember correctly tutition was in the $3,500-$4,500 range.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Bottom line - we have to get kids with better GMAT's before we move up the ranks, and that aint happening without a bunch of scholarships to offer. If you have an extra million - endow an MBA scholarship and help us out.
Last edited by gostangs on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:35 pm

UTD cooks their books by taking over 20% of their MBA class out of the equation and lists most of their international students that do not have jobs at Graduation as "Not Seeking" -- wow! It would be helpful to have consistent reporting methodology.

Reb, I'd imagine that schools with higher tuition have a greater proportion of enrolled students that took a prep course or retook the test. Here's a link from a few years ago:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-myths-fr ... 55310.html
Studies/Graphs - see powerpoint
• Test Prep Works
o It pays to prepare in advance – basically to get higher improvements, it will take more hours and weeks.
• Retake Study – 18% retake
o 1 time per 31 days
o Gains + 31 pts avg. while 30% do worse << just retaking helps improve the score. Retaking and test prep would help even more.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop