PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

10 Colleges That Charge the Most for Room and Board

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 10 Colleges That Charge the Most for Room and Board

Postby Pony^ » Thu May 26, 2016 12:36 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Apparently not accepting freshmen, just transfers, like Florida and Syracuse.

I hope you are right about first years, I thought it did say we were looking for both a few days ago.

If it is just transfers, I'm not sure a few more transfer applications outweigh the negative article.

I hope that we are not looking for more transfer students because we did not get enough freshmen acceptances that met standards.

I also hope we are not pricing ourselves out of the market (even with financial aid).
Pony^
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm

what we need is another Billion dollar campaign for the endowment & scholarship $$$ to lower the cost of tuition. lower price = more student applicants
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby smustatesman » Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm

The reason that R&B at SMU are high is because I MUST GET MY CUT, plain and simple.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri May 27, 2016 1:56 pm

LOL!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Years ago, one of my people handled SMU's line of credit. As a non-profit, it didn't use GAAP, but a form of fund accounting used for non-profits. I'm not sure how standards may have changed but it took me several hours to understand how the university accounted for its financial condition different from a typical for-profit enterprise. In the end it was obvious that annual giving was required to supplement the annual budget, not paid for by earnings on endowment and student fees and tuition. But, to tell the truth, we had no idea how well the university was run, only if it was solvent.

How well was the school run? Only by comparison to other private universities in our peer group, beginning with charges for R&B, tuition and fees were we able to make an educated guess. Today, a better tool might be the university's debt rating, which just went down, and a comparison of relative rates of costs and overhead per student to make relative comparisons of efficiencies. Rating agencies have access to detailed numbers of numerous universities, that most of us don't have access to, enabling them to make decisions based upon real comparative financial analysis.

None of which explains why our student charges are so high in comparison to our peers. But, it suggests we are not very efficient.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 am

Mexmustang wrote:Years ago, one of my people handled SMU's line of credit. As a non-profit, it didn't use GAAP, but a form of fund accounting used for non-profits. I'm not sure how standards may have changed but it took me several hours to understand how the university accounted for its financial condition different from a typical for-profit enterprise. In the end it was obvious that annual giving was required to supplement the annual budget, not paid for by earnings on endowment and student fees and tuition. But, to tell the truth, we had no idea how well the university was run, only if it was solvent.

How well was the school run? Only by comparison to other private universities in our peer group, beginning with charges for R&B, tuition and fees were we able to make an educated guess. Today, a better tool might be the university's debt rating, which just went down, and a comparison of relative rates of costs and overhead per student to make relative comparisons of efficiencies. Rating agencies have access to detailed numbers of numerous universities, that most of us don't have access to, enabling them to make decisions based upon real comparative financial analysis.

None of which explains why our student charges are so high in comparison to our peers. But, it suggests we are not very efficient.

That is a very fair assessment of the situation.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 am

Digetydog wrote:Did you know that you can send your kid to TAMU for less tuition than the daycare tuition for a two year old?

I have proof that it is possible.

yeah, but the A&M student might come out not potty trained.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smudubs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 am

NavyCrimson wrote:what we need is another Billion dollar campaign for the endowment & scholarship $$$ to lower the cost of tuition. lower price = more student applicants

I think you hit the nail on the head. We just went through the college decision process with our son and are now going through it with our daughter. When you factor in likely financial aid, SMU is easily the most expensive school she is considering. And honestly, because of cost and proximity to home, SMU is probably near the bottom of her list.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Something I did not realize is that SMU has had higher incoming freshman Student quality than anyone else in Texas except for rice for several years now. I would guess most people in state think UT is higher due to admission hysteria among the UT faithful. So it could be that location and cost make the decision tough, but at least the quality is there. Rankings will always follow student quality, it just takes a couple of years based on how long it takes that news to be known, and also the rankings are a blend of the average of the last several years.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop