PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

At top public universities, a mixed record for women in engi

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby AfricanMustang » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Federal data show women earned a majority of bachelor's degrees in engineering in 2015 at two private schools with sizable programs. At Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, their share was 53 percent, and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology it was 51 percent.

Women netted at least 40 percent of engineering degrees that year at Yale (49 percent), Howard (45), George Washington (43), Harvey Mudd (42), Brown (41) and Southern Methodist (41).

The national average is about 20 percent, reflecting generations of male dominance in the field. The female share of engineering graduates at most prominent public universities hovers around that mark because those schools have far higher enrollment than private schools.

http://www.readingeagle.com/ap/article/ ... ngineering
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: At top public universities, a mixed record for women in

Postby smudubs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:52 am

AfricanMustang wrote:Federal data show women earned a majority of bachelor's degrees in engineering in 2015 at two private schools with sizable programs. At Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, their share was 53 percent, and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology it was 51 percent.

Women netted at least 40 percent of engineering degrees that year at Yale (49 percent), Howard (45), George Washington (43), Harvey Mudd (42), Brown (41) and Southern Methodist (41).

The national average is about 20 percent, reflecting generations of male dominance in the field. The female share of engineering graduates at most prominent public universities hovers around that mark because those schools have far higher enrollment than private schools.

I can honestly say this from experience. There is no way I would send my daughter to MIT. Great school but is far from a nurturing environment. I am not exaggerating, I saw a girl take a picture in front of the dome this summer and she literally wiped the smile from her face after the picture was taken.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:21 pm

smudubs wrote:
AfricanMustang wrote:Federal data show women earned a majority of bachelor's degrees in engineering in 2015 at two private schools with sizable programs. At Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, their share was 53 percent, and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology it was 51 percent.

I can honestly say this from experience. There is no way I would send my daughter to MIT. Great school but is far from a nurturing environment. I am not exaggerating, I saw a girl take a picture in front of the dome this summer and she literally wiped the smile from her face after the picture was taken.

MIT is a great school, but I cannot imagine sending my daughter there.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:51 pm

How does MIT graduate 51% female engineers? Chemical engineering had the highest proportion when I was in college, and SMU doesn't have that major.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby whitwiki » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 am

I'm not sure, but I imagine they have 2% more women than men in engineering.
whitwiki
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop