PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:13 pm

malonish wrote:I don't see anyone on the web arguing that Tulsa was justified. I do see anti police folks protesting every shooting ever- even when the police are in danger. Example: Sylville Smith was shot in Milwaukee after raising a gun at an officer and this was confirmed by body cam footage. The riots and protest over that death diminish the rightful protest over Terrence Crutcher who was unarmed. A more recent example is Charlotte where before the facts were even released there were riots with people being hurt and at least one death. (I watched the wife's video and the guy walked at least 10 feet with officers shouting to drop the gun he had. It was not just a "Drop the gun" sentence punctuated with a bullet as soon as he stepped out.)

The message I really want to get across is that I support 100% the right to protest and the right to speak about these things, don't call those that do deplorable or embarrassing if you disagree, don't call those that disagree the same. On one hand I think it's great that some of the kids are courageous enough to make a stand for something that might have consequences even though on the other hand I disagree with the notion that there is a nationwide system where the majority of members set their alarms for the morning and go to bed thinking of how to oppress or kill people the next day.

It's the implication. It's what you're teaching these kids to think about white people. Does brainwashing kids into hating white people ease or worsen social cohesion? Does letting the idea that white people are keeping black people down proliferate make events like charlotte happen more or less? They've been convinced that this white world is out to get them and they need to tear down that infrastructure..kneeling is supporting this. Kneeling is not violent itself but it is supporting this madness you have a problem with.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:17 pm

JasonB wrote:We had a great event to respect our police officers and a great leader of that organization.

We had 5 students who showed up and played the national anthem, and in doing so supported the event.

And they also knelt because their opinion is that black people don't get a fair shake in life.

Personally, I agree with their position and feel like our society should try to do more to help.

But, regardless of that opinion, I respect the right to have a non-violent means of protest that doesn't hurt anyone.

The country wouldn't be in the state it is in if people's first reaction to new perspectives was empathy rather than hateful scorn.

Oh, okay. Can you name one law or official that either implicitly or explicitly discriminates against people of color? Oh wait that's right, because the civil rights movement worked.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Based on the Tulsa shooting, I am planning to protest women's rights to be in Law Enforcement.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm

malonish wrote:
I'm retreating to my safe space because you didn't issue a trigger warning before that hateful statement.

I'll get a shirt that says TRIGGER WARNING: Most things I say are offensive.

Just to make sure no one is unwarned
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:49 pm

PonyTime wrote:Based on the Tulsa shooting, I am planning to protest women's rights to be in Law Enforcement.

I don't think you can say that. Though one time when I was a teenager a female cop slammed my head into a brick wall for no justifiable reason. Must have been my dark skin
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby deucetz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Institutional racism does exist. Please stop arguing about a peaceful protest. You can argue about riots but to spew ignorant statements as some of y'all continue to due on this topic, just proves why minorities in Dallas will continue to not support SMU the way they should.
Last edited by deucetz on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:15 pm

deucetz wrote:Institutional racism does exist. Please stop arguing about a peaceful protest. You can argue about riots but to spew ignorant statements as some of y'all continue due on this topic, just proves why minorities in Dallas will continue to not support SMU.

Minorities in Dallas support Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, A&M, Tech, Ole Miss, Ok State ...all of which include fan bases that I could argue are even more ignorant than the batch in this thread.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:17 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Minorities in Dallas support Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, A&M, Tech, Ole Miss, Ok State ...all of which include fan bases that I could argue are even more ignorant than the batch in this thread.

True, minorities and people in general don't support us because we suck not because we're racially insensitive.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diamond Girl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Clearly no one read the female Tulsa police officer's side of the story. She's an expert in drug behavior and believed he was dusted on PCP. She continually asked him to stand down, step away from the SUV, etc., but when he reached into the vehicle she didn't know what he was going to get. In fear for her life, she shot him. Unfortunately, she didn't have her taser. I believe her actions are justifiable.

I agree there are bad cops, but there are also bad perps, be they black, white, red, purple, orange. This isn't racism; it's behavior and disrespect of authority.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm

mrydel wrote:The problem I see is it just a show now. Who is going to make the announcement that all is fine and people can again stand? Setting aside the difference in in philosophy, it reminds me of the ice bucket challenge where celebrities helped a cause and the next thing you know 5 year olds were dumping ice water on their little sister for no reason other than to post it on Facebook. Point had been made. It is time to start honoring our nation and in the case of last night our first responders.

While I agree with you, funding for ALS skyrocketed during that trend...so it may not be the best example.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 pm

I think the cause was great but it became just a show no longer serving its purpose.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:36 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
Diamond Girl wrote:Clearly no one read the female Tulsa police officer's side of the story. She's an expert in drug behavior and believed he was dusted on PCP. She continually asked him to stand down, step away from the SUV, etc., but when he reached into the vehicle she didn't know what he was going to get. In fear for her life, she shot him. Unfortunately, she didn't have her taser. I believe her actions are justifiable.

I agree there are bad cops, but there are also bad perps, be they black, white, red, purple, orange. This isn't racism; it's behavior and disrespect of authority.

so why do (unarmed) black people keep getting shot by cops?

Personally, I think her explanation is a crock of [deleted]. I think her side of the story is a CYA maneuver. How could he have reached in the vehicle when the window was rolled up?

You're wrong, she did have her taser.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewat ... 8db88.html

So why do unarmed white people keep getting shot by police as well?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm

As someone who used to be a big advocate against police brutality I can assure you that white people are mistreated by the police as well. Spend a few minutes on you tube.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:47 pm

And unarmed and innocent don't mean the same thing. Michael brown was unarmed and a justified killing.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:01 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:As someone who used to be a big advocate against police brutality I can assure you that white people are mistreated by the police as well. Spend a few minutes on you tube.

should I just go straight to info wars or is there another alt right channel that you can send me to?
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop