PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby PonyPride » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes, this thread has been moderated and moved. It's very possible that more latitude has been granted here than in any other thread in this board's history. If not, it's close. The thread was moved because it no longer had anything to do with football. But many posts were left in place that initially sparked a reaction to delete, because many of the issues being discussed are relevant to so many in so many ways. Maybe I deleted something I shouldn't have, and if so, my apologies. But this is a thread that led to political party commentary, name-calling and insults. Of I deleted any that shouldn't, then I am guilty of erring on the side of caution, but those posts, at the very least, needed to be deleted.

We will leave this thread up and active, but if the political stumping, insults and name-calling return, it will be deleted entirely. The issues surrounding these protests merit discussion, but please keep it civil and don't get lured into political campaigning. Thanks.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:23 pm

deucetz wrote:Institutional racism does exist. Please stop arguing about a peaceful protest. You can argue about riots but to spew ignorant statements as some of y'all continue to due on this topic, just proves why minorities in Dallas will continue to not support SMU the way they should.
Have you ever heard of Jerry Levias?
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:08 pm

"Pay attention to me, I need attention!" -anyone who kneels during the anthem
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smudubs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:52 am

I have already posted my experiences at SMU in the past so I will not do that again. I will say, in general, many people here just don't get it. For those of you who believe racism is dead, I will share something that happened recently. My son and several of his friends went to Wendy's in Boston earlier this month. My son arrived earlier than his friends and went inside. While he was insider, he saw people order and be served their food. When the rest of his friends arrived, most of whom are African American, the store refused to serve them. To put this plainly, white customers were served but African-American customers were not.

While this is slightly off topic for this thread, I figured I would share since some of you believe racism is dead.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

Being a victim is a cottage industry in America nowadays. If you want to be a victim the world will have no problem turning you into one.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Yeah racism isn't dead like the white kid who was beaten and robbed in downtown Charlotte during the "peaceful protest". Racism goes each direction. Spare me the victim card.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

White police officer fired after posting a selfie saying "I"m the law today n*gga": (link: http://buff.ly/2dkK4qL) buff.ly/2dkK4qL
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smudubs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:00 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Yeah racism isn't dead like the white kid who was beaten and robbed in downtown Charlotte during the "peaceful protest". Racism goes each direction. Spare me the victim card.

I did not play the victim card. Nor did I say that only one group was racist. All I did was share my son's experience in response to what others have posted. I can not speak to what other people experience. I can, however, speak to what my family has experienced.
smudubs
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Agree w dubs. As a kid who grew a block from and walked to the projects to catch the bus and missed a fair share of school days until I learned to fight back, and as a guy married to someone of a different race, I've seen it both ways and don't think any group has a monopoly on being a victim, being subjected to racism, or having contemporaries who engage in racist behavior. First person experience is something that should command empathy and can be learned from.

Oh, and I'll add religious persecution as it relates to a family member as well.
RGV Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:47 pm

I guess in general when the people that have the most power and authority are racist that is when the most damage can be done to the opposite race.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 pm

And perhaps more importantly, my run-on sentence above is unbecoming of an smu alum. Mea culpa
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Any chance that all of these BLM losers who block traffic and disseminate lies and misinformation to advance their narrative could sign up for the police force? Be the change you want to see in the community. Oh wait, that's probably too hard
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Being a victim is a cottage industry in America nowadays. If you want to be a victim the world will have no problem turning you into one.

I would tend to agree. Those women at Baylor who are playing the victim card should have just sucked it up and moved on.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smudubs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:30 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Yeah racism isn't dead like the white kid who was beaten and robbed in downtown Charlotte during the "peaceful protest". Racism goes each direction. Spare me the victim card.

Before i responded to this, I decided to go and view the video. What happened to the young man is inexplicable. On that we can agree. But like with the police shooting videos, which I have never commented on, I will reserve judgment until more information is available. We have no information that explains what caused the attack. That being said, there is nothing that could have been said that justifies the beating.
smudubs
Varsity

Postby smudubs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:05 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Any chance that all of these BLM losers who block traffic and disseminate lies and misinformation to advance their narrative could sign up for the police force? Be the change you want to see in the community. Oh wait, that's probably too hard

I think we can agree that there are some thug protesters. I think we can equally agree that there are thug police officers. For the record, I do not read your comment to mean that all BLM protesters are "losers." I hope you do not read my comment to mean that all police officers are thugs. If you meant that all BLM protesters are "losers" then I would disagree with you strongly. Any sweeping generalization of any group on either side of this issue should be met with skepticism.
smudubs
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop