PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 am

This is a football board. This discussion belongs elsewhere, probably some political web site.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:52 am

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:It's college. If there's anywhere to do this, it's college. In the hierarchy of important things, Maslow didn't even rank this. Is you're so offended, try starting with the idiots sitting or talking or doing other things for no reason other than they're being fat, lazy and petulant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just college. It's charlotte, dallas, aND apparently any other community where any african American is killed for any reason by police. The cancer has SPREAD. It's not just isolated to college. These isn't some college bisexuality phase or a kids will be kids thing. Staying up all night one night partying and the next night studying is something you do in college, not perpetuation of lies about Caucasians. And the statement I'm not saying all cops were all white people are bad is implicitly stating that you think most or a significant percentage are. That's like saying "well there are some black people who aren't criminals. What? Im not saying ALL of them are!

So college is a time to experiment with bisexuality? I guess I missed the boat...always thought it was a time to expand the consciousness of individuals by opening them to opposing viewpoints and challenging their beliefs to reinforce the concept of reason and experience coloring the perspectives and influencing ideals.

Isn't have to agree with them, nor do I have to believe it was appropriate. But I'm sure not going to take more offense when people kneel for a cause (even if I may or may not agree with that cause) during the anthem while they play it than I take for those who scream "Stars" or "O's" or who talk and move around on the sideline or who sit in their seats and eat. And yes, you may feel it offends service members...but that doesn't mean all service members feel offended.
They're not breaking a law and I'm not paying it too much mind, even if I disagree with the tact of their timing on this specific night.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby malonish » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
So college is a time to experiment with bisexuality? I guess I missed the boat...always thought it was a time to expand the consciousness of individuals by opening them to opposing viewpoints and challenging their beliefs to reinforce the concept of reason and experience coloring the perspectives and influencing ideals.

I'm retreating to my safe space because you didn't issue a trigger warning before that hateful statement.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:28 pm

gostangs wrote:This is a football board. This discussion belongs elsewhere, probably some political web site.

It's actually smu football related and it belongs here as much as the traffic complaints, band music, beer selection in the concourse, Boulevard attire and attendance, game presentation and uniform complaints and compliments do.
RGV Pony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:It's college. If there's anywhere to do this, it's college. In the hierarchy of important things, Maslow didn't even rank this. Is you're so offended, try starting with the idiots sitting or talking or doing other things for no reason other than they're being fat, lazy and petulant.

It's not just college. It's charlotte, dallas, aND apparently any other community where any african American is killed for any reason by police. The cancer has SPREAD. It's not just isolated to college. These isn't some college bisexuality phase or a kids will be kids thing. Staying up all night one night partying and the next night studying is something you do in college, not perpetuation of lies about Caucasians. And the statement I'm not saying all cops were all white people are bad is implicitly stating that you think most or a significant percentage are. That's like saying "well there are some black people who aren't criminals. What? Im not saying ALL of them are!

Isn't have to agree with them, nor do I have to believe it was appropriate. But I'm sure not going to take more offense when people kneel for a cause (even if I may or may not agree with that cause) during the anthem while they play it than I take for those who scream "Stars" or "O's" or who talk and move around on the sideline or who sit in their seats and eat. And yes, you may feel it offends service members...but that doesn't mean all service members feel offended.
They're not breaking a law and I'm not paying it too much mind, even if I disagree with the tact of their timing on this specific night.

I was obviously being facetious. Don't play that game. Well if you can find me a police officer who is going to vote for Hillary I will concede your speculation about all service members not being offended.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:33 pm

malonish wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:

I'm retreating to my safe space because you didn't issue a trigger warning before that hateful statement.

He's using hate speech!
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby BigT3x » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Jeeze you people are more sensitive than the social justice types.

The correct response to this is to shrug your shoulders. Some people have different opinions than you do. Get over it.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Did you see the Tulsa shooting? If so what do you think about that? And what do you mean not be tolerated? Should they sick dogs on them and use fire hoses on them like they did in the 60's? Again, maybe this thread should be deleted and just focus on football.

Get a grip, lib.
There IS NO institutional racism in this country. Doesn't exist - and hasn't existed for decades.

And you don't know what happened in "the Tulsa shooting" now do you?
Let's wait for the investigation.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:58 pm

BigT3x wrote:Jeeze you people are more sensitive than the social justice types.

The correct response to this is to shrug your shoulders. Some people have different opinions than you do. Get over it.

Missing the big picture. When their opinion is that white people are evil and people are systemically brain washed down to the age of children and college kids then it's not just their opinion. It's toxic, divisive, built upon blatant lies/ false statistics and needs to stop. Sjws want to promote diversity but divide people more than anyone else. Their opinion is born of indoctrination. They are not entitled to it.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Debate this elsewhere. This is a fan site for SMU fans, specifically football.
gostangs

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:05 pm

gostangs wrote:Debate this elsewhere. This is a fan site for SMU fans, specifically football.

Who are debating something that happens at football games. Specifically smu football.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby deucetz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:35 pm

mr. pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Did you see the Tulsa shooting? If so what do you think about that? And what do you mean not be tolerated? Should they sick dogs on them and use fire hoses on them like they did in the 60's? Again, maybe this thread should be deleted and just focus on football.

Get a grip, lib.
There IS NO institutional racism in this country. Doesn't exist - and hasn't existed for decades.

You're ignorant if you believe institutional racism doesn't exist in some places in the United States.
Last edited by deucetz on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 pm

mr. pony wrote:

Get a grip, lib.

Not that it does or does not exist but I never used the term institutional racism. I think you are projecting. I am just looking at the video. And also the fact that the window was up as the picture indicated so he could not have reached in the automobile as claimed by another poster. Also, I am not a liberal and am against homosexuality and abortion. I think Trump wins the election.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby malonish » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't see anyone on the web arguing that Tulsa was justified. I do see anti police folks protesting every shooting ever- even when the police are in danger. Example: Sylville Smith was shot in Milwaukee after raising a gun at an officer and this was confirmed by body cam footage. The riots and protest over that death diminish the rightful protest over Terrence Crutcher who was unarmed. A more recent example is Charlotte where before the facts were even released there were riots with people being hurt and at least one death. (I watched the wife's video and the guy walked at least 10 feet with officers shouting to drop the gun he had. It was not just a "Drop the gun" sentence punctuated with a bullet as soon as he stepped out.)

The message I really want to get across is that I support 100% the right to protest and the right to speak about these things, don't call those that do deplorable or embarrassing if you disagree, don't call those that disagree the same. On one hand I think it's great that some of the kids are courageous enough to make a stand for something that might have consequences even though on the other hand I disagree with the notion that there is a nationwide system where the majority of members set their alarms for the morning and go to bed thinking of how to oppress or kill people the next day.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:05 pm

We had a great event to respect our police officers and a great leader of that organization.

We had 5 students who showed up and played the national anthem, and in doing so supported the event.

And they also knelt because their opinion is that black people don't get a fair shake in life.

Personally, I agree with their position and feel like our society should try to do more to help.

But, regardless of that opinion, I respect the right to have a non-violent means of protest that doesn't hurt anyone.

The country wouldn't be in the state it is in if people's first reaction to new perspectives was empathy rather than hateful scorn.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop