PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:56 pm

whitwiki wrote:
mrydel wrote:The problem I see is it just a show now. Who is going to make the announcement that all is fine and people can again stand? Setting aside the difference in in philosophy, it reminds me of the ice bucket challenge where celebrities helped a cause and the next thing you know 5 year olds were dumping ice water on their little sister for no reason other than to post it on Facebook. Point had been made. It is time to start honoring our nation and in the case of last night our first responders.

While I agree with you, funding for ALS skyrocketed during that trend...so it may not be the best example.

Yeah, really bad example. Funds gained from that challenge led to a big breakthrough earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:09 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
JasonB wrote:We had a great event to respect our police officers and a great leader of that organization.

We had 5 students who showed up and played the national anthem, and in doing so supported the event.

And they also knelt because their opinion is that black people don't get a fair shake in life.

Personally, I agree with their position and feel like our society should try to do more to help.

But, regardless of that opinion, I respect the right to have a non-violent means of protest that doesn't hurt anyone.

The country wouldn't be in the state it is in if people's first reaction to new perspectives was empathy rather than hateful scorn.

Oh, okay. Can you name one law or official that either implicitly or explicitly discriminates against people of color? Oh wait that's right, because the civil rights movement worked.

I never made any such assertion. But as far as the last thing you mentioned...

I'll also point out that we held black people back for 200 years until 1963, then gave them exactly 17 years to recover before we made up the story about the "welfare queens" who were too lazy to get off welfare and were having more kids out of wedlock just to get more food stamps. And then there were the stories about how the black culture is really what is holding them back and keeping them from being successful. There have been many incidents like that about politicians taking advantage of preconceived notion about a particular race. There is no reason we should pretend it doesn't exist.

As a human being and (possibly) a Christian, have some compassion for a group of Americans that have an insanely high percentage in prison or in poverty and are a little ticked off about it. Are there some bad decisions made? Yeah there are, because desperate people make bad decisions.

I haven't walked in their shoes, but I try like hell to understand what it is like. I talk to people and learn about what their experience is like. And I respect and have empathy towards that perspective.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 am

I apologize if I lessened the value of the ice bucket challenge. That certainly was not my intent.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:59 am

deucetz wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:And unarmed and innocent don't mean the same thing. Michael brown was unarmed and a justified killing.

Thanks for your opinion God

Oh no problem! Though I take issue with claiming to be god simply for echoing the legal proceedings that were intended to hang Darren Wilson as a scapegoat. And still they found nothing. Whatayaknow
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 am

JasonB wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:
JasonB wrote:We had a great event to respect our police officers and a great leader of that organization.

We had 5 students who showed up and played the national anthem, and in doing so supported the event.

And they also knelt because their opinion is that black people don't get a fair shake in life.

Personally, I agree with their position and feel like our society should try to do more to help.

But, regardless of that opinion, I respect the right to have a non-violent means of protest that doesn't hurt anyone.

The country wouldn't be in the state it is in if people's first reaction to new perspectives was empathy rather than hateful scorn.

Oh, okay. Can you name one law or official that either implicitly or explicitly discriminates against people of color? Oh wait that's right, because the civil rights movement worked.

I never made any such assertion. But as far as the last thing you mentioned...

I'll also point out that we held black people back for 200 years until 1963, then gave them exactly 17 years to recover before we made up the story about the "welfare queens" who were too lazy to get off welfare and were having more kids out of wedlock just to get more food stamps. And then there were the stories about how the black culture is really what is holding them back and keeping them from being successful. There have been many incidents like that about politicians taking advantage of preconceived notion about a particular race. There is no reason we should pretend it doesn't exist.

As a human being and (possibly) a Christian, have some compassion for a group of Americans that have an insanely high percentage in prison or in poverty and are a little ticked off about it. Are there some bad decisions made? Yeah there are, because desperate people make bad decisions.

I haven't walked in their shoes, but I try like hell to understand what it is like. I talk to people and learn about what their experience is like. And I respect and have empathy towards that perspective.

Thank you for pointing out the we held back black people until 1963- akathe end of institutional racism. Didn't see the rug coming out from you there, eh? Having more kids to get more welfare? No one is saying that's why more black people are getting welfare. The argument is that the welfare is indicative of a cultural failing. Democrats don't want black peopleather to succeed..or anyone. They need a steady supply of poor voters dependant on government assistance.

You have yet to answer my question. So basically your only response is a vague shadow of racism exists because it just does since we used to have racism back in the day? Once again, you and every other lib failed this question because there is not an answer that supports your claim.

And don't talk to me about your Christianity- it doesn't distinguish you as any more moral to anyone else and it's offensive to stick your chest out and suggest your moral superiority because of your faith. I'm glad you can believe things on insufficient evidencebut it's ridiculous to suggest that it gives you a moral distinction that we should take seriously. Yes, I understand that you didn't up and out say this but there is no other reason to mention what you believe happens after you die in thus context.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby whitwiki » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:24 am

Fear of the unknown, fear of what's different. These are human things. This fear begets Racism. Don't try to deny that racism is eradicated. But continue with the logical arguments on why it's unnecessary and we will get somewhere. Maybe.

Also, whenever you start blanket calling people liberals as if it's a slur it makes you seem a conservative reactionary. Strike a more calm tone. Embrace other opinions.

Brad and Angelina got divorced we've got bigger problems people /s
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:52 am

Regardless if you think it was right/wrong, discrepectful, bad timing or whatever, everyone in this country has the right to legally protest any issue. Personally, I'm not Afirican-American and I didn't know any of the officers killed on that terrible day in Dallas history, if I was/had, I'm sure I'd be more passionate about the situation.

One thing is for sure, the protest got a board of mostly white, educated males to have a thread at least seven pages long to discuss the topic. In that sense, I'm sure they accomplished what they wanted to, that and to get on Sportscenter. lol
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:56 am

[quote="whitwiki"]
Also, whenever you start blanket calling people liberals as if it's a slur it makes you seem a conservative reactionary. Strike a more calm tone. Embrace other opinions.

Such is the tone that is developed after trying to convince one too many sheep that they are indeed part of the herd. Why is the conclusion you draw that I won't embrace other opinions? Is it not possible that I could have taken an objective look into this, became angered by my conclusion and now adamantly defend it? Or iguess it's just easier to try to make people think that I just can't see things from another point of vieq.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:58 am

Come on moderators. Do your job. 7 pages of political hacks on both sides of an issue that has nothing to do with SMU football. Take it to a political site and knock yourselves out. 5 lame SMU band members that nobody saw since we were all getting another beer does not support having this crud on our football board.

Next topic please.
gostangs

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:58 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Regardless if you think it was right/wrong, discrepectful, bad timing or whatever, everyone in this country has the right to legally protest any issue. Personally, I'm not Afirican-American and I didn't know any of the officers killed on that terrible day in Dallas history, if I was/had, I'm sure I'd be more passionate about the situation.

One thing is for sure, the protest got a board of mostly white, educated males to have a thread at least seven pages long to discuss the topic. In that sense, I'm sure they accomplished what they wanted to, that and to get on Sportscenter. lol

I generally agree with your statement. I don't know if any family members of the officers were there but I cannot imaging they'd be happy..particularly at this event
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:59 am

gostangs wrote:Come on moderators. Do your job. 7 pages of political hacks on both sides of an issue that has nothing to do with SMU football. Take it to a political site and knock yourselves out. 5 lame SMU band members that nobody saw since we were all getting another beer does not support having this crud on our football board.

Next topic please.

No. This topic is about things that happen at football games and most recently at an smu football game. This is entirely relevant. If we can talk about the politics of conference re-alignment and school funding we can sure as hell talk about this.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 am

Not anymore its not. Read back over the last few pages - no mention anywhere of SMU. Time to drop it. It is not about SMU football. Go argue about this topic on a relevant page.
gostangs

Postby deucetz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:06 am

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:The fact that some of you folks believe that institutional racism is not real is mind boggling to me.

I guess that's what happens when all you listen to / watch is Rush, Breitbart, Hannity and the like.

Again, cite one law policy or public official or politician that gives people of color a disadvantage. You people wanna talk about instituional racism but you can point to no one and nothing because it's Not there. That's what the 60s was for

I think every SMU fan understands the death penalty setback SMU football and SMU. We feel the effects of the death penalty today--that was almost 30 years ago.

So why can't you understand how institutional racism works and the way it has set back some minority groups in the United States? Because you just don't want to. Minorities in this country had to fight to get the 1964 (right to vote) and 1968 Civil Rights Act (fair housing), even after getting the 14th and 15th Amendment in 1866. So African-Americans were supposed to be citizens with the constitutional amendments but nothing really changed for them. Do you really think everything just changed after the Civil Rights Acts? The courts are still fighting for desegregation of public schools in certain parts of the country and you think everything is just equal? The first African-American wasn't in Highland Park until the 1990s due to redlining.

I'm sure you understand compound Interest. If some minorities weren't even full citizens until after the civil rights acts, and if they are still fighting for basic rights, don't you think other social groups are still afforded benefits due to them being able to have accumulated wealth and social status long before that?

I will cite another policy, the War on Drugs was not a race neutral law. What we find years later is that war on drugs produced unequal outcomes across racial groups. "Although rates of drug use and selling are comparable across racial lines, people of color are far more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, prosecuted, convicted and incarcerated for drug law violations than are whites."

You're the exact person these athletes are protesting. I guess the joke is on me though, you're just a ponyfans troll.
Last edited by deucetz on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:07 am

Well whether or not the mods delete this I've run "cares" to give.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 am

deucetz wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:The fact that some of you folks believe that institutional racism is not real is mind boggling to me.

I guess that's what happens when all you listen to / watch is Rush, Breitbart, Hannity and the like.

Again, cite one law policy or public official or politician that gives people of color a disadvantage. You people wanna talk about instituional racism but you can point to no one and nothing because it's Not there. That's what the 60s was for

I think every SMU fan understands the death penalty setback SMU football.. We feel the effects of the death penalty today--that was almost 30 years ago.

If smu football had affirmative action applied towards it and could pull the race card anytime the school wanted attention, that'd be relevant.

So why can't you understand how institutional racism works and they way it has set back some minority groups in the United States? Because you just don't want to. Minorities in this country had to fight to get the 1964 (right to vote)1968 Civil Rights Act (fair housing), even after getting the 14th and 15th Amendment in 1866. So African-Americans were supposed to be citizens with the constitutional amendments but nothing really changed for them. Do you really think everything just changed after the Civil Rights Acts? The courts are still fighting for desegregation of public schools in certain parts of the country and you think everything is just equal? The first African-American wasn't in Highland Park until the 1990s.

. Nice try
I'm sure you understand compound Interest. If some minorities weren't even full citizens until after the civil rights acts, and if they are still fighting for basic rights, don't you think other social groups are still afforded benefits due to them being able to have accumulated wealth and social status long before that?

I will cite another policy, the War on Drugs was not a race neutral law. What we find years later is that war on drugs produced unequal outcomes across racial groups. "Although rates of drug use and selling are comparable across racial lines, people of color are far more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, prosecuted, convicted and incarcerated for drug law violations than are whites."

Why does disparity equal racism? Yes you are correct on all points. That doesn't mean that there are still these things holding them back. Is there still residual blowback? Obviously. But these are not reoccurring issues.

Oh the war on drugs...as you stated earlier about all the compounding effects of Jim crow and what not...black people are generally in a lower economic class because of this. You know what most drug dealers are? Low income people trying to make extra money. So it's not possible that more black people might have actually been in possession of drugs? Not to mention that people who live in more depressed areas tend to abuse drugs and alcohol more often. Prohibition drives up the street value and validates the market.

And profiling is a useful policing tactic. Would you like police to start stopping old people and young children? If that's the demographic that commits the most crime then that's what you pay attention to. Don't like it? Commit less crime. This was the best attempt so far though
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop