PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:43 am

mr. pony wrote:There IS NO institutional racism in this country. Doesn't exist - and hasn't existed for decades.

Yes, because it all magically disappeared when the Civil Rights Act was signed. :roll:
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Some band, students kneel during national anthem

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 am

deucetz wrote:I think every SMU fan understands the death penalty setback SMU football and SMU. We feel the effects of the death penalty today--that was almost 30 years.

The fact that SMU feels any effect of a penalty 30 years after it was handed down is 100% the fault of SMU and its unwillingness to change "model" for athletics for so many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:21 pm

gostangs wrote:Come on moderators. Do your job. 7 pages of political hacks on both sides of an issue that has nothing to do with SMU football. Take it to a political site and knock yourselves out. 5 lame SMU band members that nobody saw since we were all getting another beer does not support having this crud on our football board.

Next topic please.

Do you know the meaning of irony? By insulting the students you are taking a stand. If you genuinely believe the thread does not belong on this site simply ask for it to be removed from this board but do not insult or applaud the band members.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:23 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Regardless if you think it was right/wrong, discrepectful, bad timing or whatever, everyone in this country has the right to legally protest any issue. Personally, I'm not Afirican-American and I didn't know any of the officers killed on that terrible day in Dallas history, if I was/had, I'm sure I'd be more passionate about the situation.

One thing is for sure, the protest got a board of mostly white, educated males to have a thread at least seven pages long to discuss the topic. In that sense, I'm sure they accomplished what they wanted to, that and to get on Sportscenter. lol

I generally agree with your statement. I don't know if any family members of the officers were there but I cannot imaging they'd be happy..particularly at this event

I don't either and don't know the families of any of the victims of police brutality. If you value the life of one person over another then you are showing your bias and missing the point altogether.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:26 am

PonySnob wrote:Image

Do these students know anything about the history of slave trade?

1. The Arab empires (Muslims) began enslaving Africans over 1,000 years ago and oversaw 10 centuries of slavery.

2. Starting around 1600s, African warlords (Black African leaders) started to round up their own people and ship them off to the Americas on primarily Portuguese and British ships in triangular trade with the Americas and Europe for goods and weapons that could be utilized to enslave more of their own people (more slaves actually went to Brazil than anywhere).

3. In the 1800s, the US had a civil war that resulted in the end of slavery in the US. Many white people fought and died for this cause. In fact - over 2 Million. Republican president Abe Lincoln led the cause.

4. From the late 1800s onward, Democrats, the party of the KKK, Jim Crow, and Segregation fought against civil rights until the 1960s when the Republicans were able to push through the legislation.

5. Since that time, Democrats have run most of the largest inner cities in America.

So, just to list, in order, who is responsible for Slavery and the seeds of racism in the US:

Arab Empires
Black African Leaders
The Portuguese
The British
Brazilians
The Confederate States of America
The Democratic Party

BTW - Slavery is still practiced today in two Islamic nations: The Sudan and Mauritania.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 am

This thread and the above post prove that you can get an education from SMU and not be educated
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 am

Stallion wrote:This thread and the above post prove that you can get an education from SMU and not be educated

You, sir, are the uneducated if you received your version of history from Clarence Glover's revisionist History of Black and White class at SMU (which I did take, by the way).

Which facts do you dispute regarding the history of the slave trade? It is pretty well documented.

You can start your education here - at a left leaning African American news site via an author who holds a degree in Psychology from Clark-Atlanta University:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/18/6-common-misconceptions-enslavement-african-people/

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:07 pm

So if I understand your logic correctly, because americans were not responsible for making them slaves they did no wrong for keeping them as their slaves? Also, because others were doing it too americans really didn't do anything wrong?
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:26 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Stallion wrote:This thread and the above post prove that you can get an education from SMU and not be educated

You, sir, are the uneducated if you received your version of history from Clarence Glover's revisionist History of Black and White class at SMU (which I did take, by the way).

Which facts do you dispute regarding the history of the slave trade? It is pretty well documented.

You can start your education here - at a left leaning African American news site via an author who holds a degree in Psychology from Clark-Atlanta University:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/18/6-common-misconceptions-enslavement-african-people/

Its so stupid its not worth pointing out. Any moron knows those "Democrats" largely are the Republicans of today. Plus your crediting the Civil Rights Act solely to the Republican Party without mentioning LBJ who actually should get the majority of the credit for sheparding that legislation through Congress is simply re-writing History. So your argument is disingenuous and full of half-truths that no intelligent person should try to slide by any one but a gullible reader. Its not worthy of a discussion on a forum composed of College educated readers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Stallion I agree with you that those democrats are not the democrats of today - but to call them the republicans of today would also be incorrect. Much of the rest of his point is correct - although the point of his argument seems to be to deflect from racism which of course still exists, although happily waning in the USA.

By the way there is still slavery happening in many countries - it is estimated there are over 40 million slaves in the world today - most of them women and children. Many of the countries still practicing slavery are African - and many are eastern (India for example). It seems our urge to inflict unjust control over others is a human condition that is not dependent on the amount of melanin in your skin

Once again - this is just not the forum for this chit chat. Lets talk about Temple.
gostangs

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Good on LBJ for the Civil rights act but who was it he called uppity and said he'd have voting Democrat for the next 100 years? When will there be a call to rename 635?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Stallion wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Its so stupid its not worth pointing out. Any moron knows those "Democrats" largely are the Republicans of today. Plus your crediting the Civil Rights Act solely to the Republican Party without mentioning LBJ who actually should get the majority of the credit for sheparding that legislation through Congress is simply re-writing History. So your argument is disingenuous and full of half-truths that no intelligent person should try to slide by any one but a gullible reader. Its not worthy of a discussion on a forum composed of College educated readers

The Democrat racist president LBJ deserves a majority of the credit ... OK. I'll give you that, but you can take his own words along with it:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference." - LBJ

If you would like to read more about one of the most racist presidents of the 20th century, LBJ, you can check out the left wing MSNBC coverage on LBJ as a racist - which includes plenty of content that I would be embarrassed to post here.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lyndon-johnson-civil-rights-racism

Please continue to promote the re-writing of history.

My points.

1. Racism is wrong. Slavery is wrong.
2. A lot of people died to end slavery in the US. Many, if not most of them were white.
2. Most people have no idea of the history associated with these issues and with the Civil Rights legislation.
3. Slavery is not a white-black issue as most in the US see it. Skin color is not the issue (someone on this thread get this). It has been a global issue for thousands of years - and is still being practiced today.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smustatesman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:11 pm

"Student Athletes"........is that what you call your slaves today? N.P.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 pm

PonyTime wrote:[You, sir, are the uneducated if you received your version of history from Clarence Glover's revisionist History of Black and White class at SMU (which I did take, by the way).

Took that class back in the day. Clarence was preaching white guilt before it was cool to preach it.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Growing up in the south during the time of massive resistence, THAT was racism. Now what you have is 798 police related killings nationwide this year. 12411 homicides this year so far. There have been 5 times as many deaths from texting as police shootings. 50 times more deaths from tobacco use. So, protest away. Blacks are disproportionately arrested, but all studies show that they disproportionately commit more crimes. Why is that happening? Is it racism? Or is it that people don't know how to move that segment of our society from poverty to the next level. Is it a function of the fact that certain drugs are illegal? This is a multifaceted issue. One solution is just to tell police to stay out of certain neighborhoods. But isn't that racist? Denying police protection to a segment of our society? And that means open season on the law abiding citizens in those cities as well. No easy answers, but the first step is not the cops, but fixing what are the root causes of crime in our country.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop