PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Volleyball no longer honoring fallen officer

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Volleyball no longer honoring fallen officer

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:52 pm

deucetz wrote:Bush league communication department.

We have a new President. Not everything is Bush's fault anymore.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:30 pm

I hope y'all are kidding. You do know bush league isn't referring to George Bish.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ebrooks11 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Sarcasm font needed.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 pm

lol. You have to be joking. If they did this because of safe space kids I really am disappointed in smu.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby Ponymon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:39 pm

I just saw the Fox 4 piece this morning and I have to say how disappointed I am in the current administration. That 14 year old girl was as excited as anyone could be and then some politically correct LOUSE decides that it would be INSENSITIVE for the University to show support for the child of a recently murdered police officer. Insensitive to WHO? To top it off, that person calls off the honorary first serve using email to communicate with the family, which is as IMPERSONAL as it gets. And they didn't even have the GUTS to identify themself IN the email! What that person accomplished was to completely EMBARRASS the University. I have been getting calls from friends all over the country laughing at the school's political correctness.

Turner should own up to the University's SCREWUP, get off his duff and give that family a PERSONAL call NOT an email OR a text! He is the President and needs to take PERSONAL responsibility for the SCREWUP. The buck SHOULD stop with him.

I was going to increase my donation to SMU and The Mustang Club this year by a very significant amount but I think that the University needs to provide a better explanation than what Hart gave that family before I do so.

Here is the Channel 8 piece on it:

http://tinyurl.com/j3xe3yj
Last edited by Ponymon on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Volleyball no longer honoring fallen officer

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:41 pm

I believe theyreconsidered
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:13 am

mrydel wrote:I believe theyreconsidered

They revisited the decision. That is good and the right thing to do.

But, the way they revisited and corrected their initial error is entirely inadequate. SMU has spent the past week posting various letters, videos, and texts from professors and administrators. These posts have been about assuaging the fears of the student community that the diversity policies and efforts of a private institution will not be changed by the election of a new US president. Somehow, the intelligent and in tune students think the diversity efforts and policies of a private school are going to suddenly be changed by a new president who won't even take office for another 2+ months. The school administration went out of their way to ensure the students knew where they stood on this...including holding meetings and a wide range of social media outreach.

Compare this to the half [deleted] response to what happened here. Some idiot cancelled this girls day...that's the best way to phrase it. They stole this girls day. They made it worse by doing it via email...because heaven forbid they make a phone call. The response was the same half-assed effort. Unacceptable.

Turner and Hart needed to personally call the family to offer their apologies. They both should have walked her onto the court for the first serve. I hope both of these happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:13 am

Every now and again someone you are associated with does something that really embarrasses you. Congratulations SMU you just embarrassed us and yourselves! It is nice that you enhance this experience by making an enemy out of the Dallas Police Union (enjoy all of the moving violations you are about to receive when you show SMU bumper stickers).

With all of the safe places, protected speech zones for our participation trophy recipient students - SMU has decided that a 14 year old girl, who has actually suffered an emotionally crippling loss, cannot be included. Somehow this child was so dangerous to your sense of selves and your perceived moral perch that she must be removed from our community. Never mind that the original invitation became part of her healing process - she is so dangerous she cannot be allowed to mourn her loss in your presence?

SMU you are in the kid business. Your business is kids! So congratulations, you found the youngest, emotionally weakest and sacrificed her healing to provide professors, staff members and other kids 4+ years older a cocoon around their myopic views. For an institution that is in the business of kids, you sure as hell failed this one.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Junior » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 am

Wow. Just now hearing of this. Didn't realize the pussification of students was alive and well at SMU. This is disturbing.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:52 am

ebrooks11 wrote:Sarcasm font needed.

* This denotes the above *
One Trick Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Junior wrote:Wow. Just now hearing of this. Didn't realize the pussification of students was alive and well at SMU. This is disturbing.

It is as bad as anywhere else
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mathman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Anyone know the real story? The response from Turner is pathetic. Who in the world sent the original email? Hopefully they have been properly chastised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:06 pm

They will be sternly talked to via email
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:39 am

I want some transparency in this sad affair. Who was responsible and what has been done? If this was the result of one of SMU's employees, head or heads should roll. If the Athletic Department, maybe Hart should go. If it was the vote of the volleyball team, maybe the remaining season should be cancelled.

This affair shouldn't be allowed to define our university, it has nothing to do with limiting free speech or political expression. It is worse in my opinion than the Men's Soccer Team at Harvard grading incoming women soccer players amongst one anther on the internet. It is highly probable that one our so-called adults, not a student was behind this and they should terminated. Its time that SMU stop sweeping information under the "rug" and come clean as to what happened and who was responsible.

This young lady's father was murdered, doing his duty. I am disgusted. Only Baylor could have screwed the pooch worse!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Fire Rick Hart? Really...

Probably some millennial new-hire got on the email chain somehow and replied prematurely and out of line. Looks terrible (and is terrible) but what can you do?

Good life lesson to whoever was involved on the SMU end. Never deliver bad news or harsh words via an email.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop