PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sex assault scandal no deterrent to applicants at Baylor

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sex assault scandal no deterrent to applicants at Baylor

Postby mrydel » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:07 am

I do not understand why it matters how many applications are sent. Does it hurt if you send too many? I was recruited so I do not know the answers but if I were applying I would send out as many as I could and then select from those that accepted.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smudubs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 am

mrydel wrote:I do not understand why it matters how many applications are sent. Does it hurt if you send too many? I was recruited so I do not know the answers but if I were applying I would send out as many as I could and then select from those that accepted.

That's kinda my thought too Myrdel. I applied to one school for undergrad and two for law school. But I knew I would get into the schools to which I applied. I have zero problem with what she did other than it was a lot of work for all of us to get them out.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 pm

smudubs wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Is the dream school Wellesley? Really hit the upper NE. Brandeis and Carlton are a bit of outliers. No Middlebury or Amherst. A lady worked for me that played softball at Bowdoin. Loved it of course. Kellogg MBA.

10+ apps is standard for high achievers considering out of state.

Yes, Wellesley is her top choice. The reasons Amherst and Middlebury aren't on her list is becasue I didn't have time ti take her to visit those schools. She also didn't visit Brandeis or Carlton, but she really liked Carlton from the research she did and from talking to someone at a college fair. Brandeis didn't require any additional essays and offered her a fee waiver (same reason she applied to Trinity).

As far as the number of applicants are concerned, you are absolutely correct. My wife and I both said we wished her dream school was something like SMU or Baylor. Had that been the case we would have applied to one school and been done, but seeing the list of schools in which she was interested, she had to apply to all of them. Most of these schools have lower than 10% acceptance rates so regardless of how qualified she is, they are all long shots. My son applied to four schools (OU, MIT, UT, and A&M.) We had to force him to apply to everything but MIT becasue even though he had the numbers to get in and was a recruited athlete, it was still a long shot. And he applied early so we already knew where he was going. My daughter is still recovering from mono so she didn't have the energy to get her applications out earlier, so we ha to apply to more schools and only got two in for early decision. I would think people would understand this.

Great stuff. I hope she gets into Wellesley.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 pm

smudubs wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Is the dream school Wellesley? Really hit the upper NE. Brandeis and Carlton are a bit of outliers. No Middlebury or Amherst. A lady worked for me that played softball at Bowdoin. Loved it of course. Kellogg MBA.

10+ apps is standard for high achievers considering out of state.

Yes, Wellesley is her top choice. The reasons Amherst and Middlebury aren't on her list is becasue I didn't have time ti take her to visit those schools. She also didn't visit Brandeis or Carlton, but she really liked Carlton from the research she did and from talking to someone at a college fair. Brandeis didn't require any additional essays and offered her a fee waiver (same reason she applied to Trinity).

As far as the number of applicants are concerned, you are absolutely correct. My wife and I both said we wished her dream school was something like SMU or Baylor. Had that been the case we would have applied to one school and been done, but seeing the list of schools in which she was interested, she had to apply to all of them. Most of these schools have lower than 10% acceptance rates so regardless of how qualified she is, they are all long shots. My son applied to four schools (OU, MIT, UT, and A&M.) We had to force him to apply to everything but MIT becasue even though he had the numbers to get in and was a recruited athlete, it was still a long shot. And he applied early so we already knew where he was going. My daughter is still recovering from mono so she didn't have the energy to get her applications out earlier, so we ha to apply to more schools and only got two in for early decision. I would think people would understand this.

It's definitely understandable to apply to multiple schools--these are highly competitive schools. Hope she gets into the school that best fits her.
deucetz
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:55 pm

At least she's motivated enough to aim high. Saw lots of unmotivated kids over the years
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby whitwiki » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 am

I think the lack of parent control comment may have been a joke. At least that's how I read it.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

mrydel wrote:I do not understand why it matters how many applications are sent. Does it hurt if you send too many? I was recruited so I do not know the answers but if I were applying I would send out as many as I could and then select from those that accepted.

Don't think it hurts...it used to be cost prohibitive back when application fees were $50-$75 per school and you had to write several school-specific essays, but a lot of colleges waive them now and with the Common App you can just check the box of the schools you want your application sent to.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop