PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sex assault scandal no deterrent to applicants at Baylor

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sex assault scandal no deterrent to applicants at Baylor

Postby deucetz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 am

I guess applicants don't care about rape.

I do clearly remember Baylor giving fee waivers for both undergrad and law applications. For undergrad, depending on your class rank they filled out your application and told you the amount that they will initially give you before you even applied. I think their free easy application is partly to do with the number of applications they continue to receive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/baylor/2 ... ol-history
Last edited by deucetz on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Re: Sex assault scandal no deterrent to applicants at Baylor

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:07 pm

It's called a winning Athletic program. That will make the difference.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 pm

One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smudubs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:19 pm

As a parent of a graduating senior, I can say, without question, that the scandal had an affect on us deciding to not have our daughter apply.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:20 pm

I can't believe your kids are seniors I'm old
One Trick Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

No way in hell my daughters (also a senior) mom would let her apply to Baylor
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I'm sure you've taught them Street smarts what about a free ride
One Trick Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Maybe the higher # of early applicants is part of a growing trend to apply to more schools and do it earlier in the year. Baylor's total apps dropped last year. We'll see if total apps and yield take a hit.

smudubs, is your daughter focused on Ivies? I remember her being similarly talented as your son.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby birddogger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am

The universal college application seems to have led to an increase in apps everywhere. Kids are now routinely sending 10 or more out. If BU is waiving the fee, what disincentive (other than Waco, etc) is there, especially if the school is considered a long shot for some and a safety for others?
birddogger
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am

The Common Application has dramatically increased applications to almost all schools - to the point that historical comparisons are not valid.

My HS senior applied to 12 schools. He had a core 3-4 he really wanted but the remaining 8 were simply due to ease of application. Why not get another back up or throw a Hail Mary pass if the effort is minimal. I do know that he applied to one back up simply because the application fee was waived.
So BU waiving the application fee will drive applications up - the admissions department equivalent to a sugar high. But I bet their yield and student quality will be horrible. I think the scandal has seriously hurt the BU brand. Consequently, their student quality and yield will drop - maybe a lot.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby smudubs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Maybe the higher # of early applicants is part of a growing trend to apply to more schools and do it earlier in the year. Baylor's total apps dropped last year. We'll see if total apps and yield take a hit.

smudubs, is your daughter focused on Ivies? I remember her being similarly talented as your son.

She has already been accepted at Trinity in San Antonio. She has also applied to Wellesley, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Brandeis, Carlton, Williams, and one other school in the NE that I can't recall right now. To say we have application fatigue would be an understatement.
smudubs
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Applying to 11 schools is ridiculous . That is lack of parent control.
gostangs

Postby smudubs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:14 pm

gostangs wrote:Applying to 11 schools is ridiculous . That is lack of parent control.

Thanks for the unsolicited parental critique. She is going into adulthood. If she wants to apply to 100 schools, I would let her because it's her decision and I will support that decision. There is no need to "control" her.

That being said, she applied to her dream school and others that she would not mind attending. And when the highest acceptance rate of any of the schools for which he applied is about 30%, you have to cast a wide net. If her top choice had been in the SMU range, she would have applied to one school and we would be done.
smudubs
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 am

Is the dream school Wellesley? Really hit the upper NE. Brandeis and Carlton are a bit of outliers. No Middlebury or Amherst. A lady worked for me that played softball at Bowdoin. Loved it of course. Kellogg MBA.

10+ apps is standard for high achievers considering out of state.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smudubs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

tristatecoog wrote:Is the dream school Wellesley? Really hit the upper NE. Brandeis and Carlton are a bit of outliers. No Middlebury or Amherst. A lady worked for me that played softball at Bowdoin. Loved it of course. Kellogg MBA.

10+ apps is standard for high achievers considering out of state.

Yes, Wellesley is her top choice. The reasons Amherst and Middlebury aren't on her list is becasue I didn't have time ti take her to visit those schools. She also didn't visit Brandeis or Carlton, but she really liked Carlton from the research she did and from talking to someone at a college fair. Brandeis didn't require any additional essays and offered her a fee waiver (same reason she applied to Trinity).

As far as the number of applicants are concerned, you are absolutely correct. My wife and I both said we wished her dream school was something like SMU or Baylor. Had that been the case we would have applied to one school and been done, but seeing the list of schools in which she was interested, she had to apply to all of them. Most of these schools have lower than 10% acceptance rates so regardless of how qualified she is, they are all long shots. My son applied to four schools (OU, MIT, UT, and A&M.) We had to force him to apply to everything but MIT becasue even though he had the numbers to get in and was a recruited athlete, it was still a long shot. And he applied early so we already knew where he was going. My daughter is still recovering from mono so she didn't have the energy to get her applications out earlier, so we ha to apply to more schools and only got two in for early decision. I would think people would understand this.
smudubs
Varsity

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop