PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former SMU President, Education Leader Paul Hardin, Has Died

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Former SMU President, Education Leader Paul Hardin, Has Died

Postby AfricanMustang » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm

DALLAS (SMU) — Paul Hardin III, who served as the sixth president of SMU from 1972 to 1974, died July 1 at his home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, after battling ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. He was 86 years old.

“Higher education in our country lost a stalwart, effective and greatly admired member of its community,” said SMU President R. Gerald Turner. “I had the opportunity to become friends with Paul Hardin before my tenure began. It was a joy to have him and his family back on campus in August 2000 for the unveiling of his SMU presidential portrait, which hangs on campus with those of other past presidents.”

Hardin’s portrait is displayed in the first-floor lobby of SMU’s Perkins Administration Building.

Before his tenure at SMU, Hardin had served as president of Wofford College (1968-72). He went on to serve as president of Drew University (1974-88) and as chancellor of the University of North Carolina (1988-1995). Since 1995, he held the title of chancellor emeritus at the University of North Carolina.

Hardin was born in Charlotte, N.C., on June 11, 1931. His father, Paul Hardin Jr., served as a minister and bishop in the United Methodist Church. Hardin earned a Bachelor’s degree in English from Duke University in 1952, graduating Phi Beta Kappa. He returned to Duke for law school, where he graduated first in his class in 1954.

He served for two years in the U.S. Army Counter Intelligence Corps and then practiced law in Birmingham, Ala., for two years. He returned to Duke Law School in 1958, serving first as assistant professor and then as professor until 1968.

A memorial service for Hardin will be held July 8 in Chapel Hill at University United Methodist Church. Read more from the Associated Press obituary here.

http://www.smu.edu/news/2017/paul-hardi ... 03july2017
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: Former SMU President, Education Leader Paul Hardin, Has

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 am

Paul Hardin saw the Kraken among the SMU supporters before everybody else and was fired by the same alumni who perpetually tarnished the reputation of the university. RIP
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:05 am

Wonder if he was able to see the "Kraken" at UNC?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smustatesman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 am

Funny, but Coach Smith was the one paying the players for interceptions and ball recoveries. He's the one who took it directly out of the hands of the alumni and filtered it through his staff. When he found out, Hardin blew the whistle himself, which he thought would only get the school a slap on its hands. Wrong. The Southwest Conference only slapped us on the hands, but the NCAA did more than that. Lesson......you don't p_off the people who hired you and are the school's main financial support.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:33 pm

smusportspage wrote:Wonder if he was able to see the "Kraken" at UNC?

With my 280 days at Sea I have seen the Kraken it's no joking matter. She always gets the all inclusive alcohol package too.
One Trick Pony

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 pm

:lol:
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby leopold » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:02 am

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/how- ... er-7126298

Interesting article. Says when he tried to clean up the program in the early 70's he got asked to go elsewhere. Later on, when applying to become president at another university, he got the job because they were aware of his attempts to clean up SMU's program.

That University?

North Carolina.

As a note, also served in the Army for a few years before becoming a professor.

RIP, killer.

EDIT: Sorry SMUsportspage, didn't see your reference to UNC. My bad.
Last edited by leopold on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 am

Just shows that some swamps are harder to drain than others.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smustatesman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Yeah.......SMU just loves their Krakens from Duke; whether they be graduates of or Deans of Law from them devils in blue.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Semi was a nice addition from Duke.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Around the Hilltop