PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Free Speech Allowed at SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Free Speech Allowed at SMU

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Black Horseshoe wrote:Protest zone inside the horseshoe at Ford. Good way to sell tickets

1. Can they roll down the hill?
2. Will there be fireworks?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Horseshoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:51 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
Black Horseshoe wrote:Protest zone inside the horseshoe at Ford. Good way to sell tickets

1. Can they roll down the hill?
2. Will there be fireworks?

Protestors hit by fireworks get their cause on the Jumbotron. Get the players wanting to score more
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Black Horseshoe wrote:This makes sense

https://mobile.twitter.com/sjaketorres/ ... 4117419008

It always makes sense to bring some facts into the discussion.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Terry Webster wrote:

You're missing the forest for the trees:

1. Why was this rule enacted during the summer term?

2. Why the rule now? And what was the basis for it? Did the student senate vote on it?

3. Original rejection of flags on Dallas Hall Lawn had referenced "triggering" and "offending" of certain students

4. This falls right in line with the admins bungling of the volleyball tribute, and their PC emails on last year's veteran's day along with wimpy emails from Turner after election. My theory is that Turner and his colleagues are so afraid that they may have a University of Missouri situation happen, that they react in this way to appease the small contingent of liberal loons on campus. No backbone or moral fiber has been shown by Turner on not only this issue but past ones as well.

Furthermore, who the hell is Jake Torres (< 200 twitter followers; not official smu personnel) , and why do you think he is stating factual info? After reading his twitter log about this he also seems to be misguided.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:02 pm

"Turner and his colleagues are so afraid that they may have a University of Missouri situation happen, that they react in this way to appease the small contingent of liberal loons on campus"

In this specific case, they are going up against the conservative "loons." The 9/11 flag display is clearly right-leaning while [the preponderance of?] other groups that want to protest will be left-leaning.

I suppose MoMac Park is where the natatorium used to be. That's a very central location. More people walk by that area than Dallas Hall. At least it's not south of the Bush Library or in East Campus. Abbott getting involved is just silly. What about Pete Sessions? Morgan Meyer? Dan Patrick? We need more outrage!!!
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby edwa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am

CBpony wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:

You're missing the forest for the trees:

1. Why was this rule enacted during the summer term?

2. Why the rule now? And what was the basis for it? Did the student senate vote on it?

3. Original rejection of flags on Dallas Hall Lawn had referenced "triggering" and "offending" of certain students

4. This falls right in line with the admins bungling of the volleyball tribute, and their PC emails on last year's veteran's day along with wimpy emails from Turner after election. My theory is that Turner and his colleagues are so afraid that they may have a University of Missouri situation happen, that they react in this way to appease the small contingent of liberal loons on campus. No backbone or moral fiber has been shown by Turner on not only this issue but past ones as well.

Furthermore, who the hell is Jake Torres (< 200 twitter followers; not official smu personnel) , and why do you think he is stating factual info? After reading his twitter log about this he also seems to be misguided.

1 made during summer term so that every event could still happen on dallas hall during the year, if they had changed it during school year people would say its unfair some got to use dallas hall and others did.

2 its all but confirmed that the rule is to stop controversial displays being placed onto dallas hall, SMU doesnt want to have a repeats of the Pro-life demonstration that upset a lot of students.

3 a demostration on dallas hall lawn did upset a lot of students - see pro life crosses

its just being done as a flat out ban so it doesnt seem unfair that smu picks and chooses what gets to go onto dallas lawn. Moving it to momac park allows people to still have demonstrations/ protests/ events without it being as controversial.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 am

So apparently having the demonstrations elsewhere means the delicate students will no longer be upset.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am

edwa wrote: a demonstration on dallas hall lawn did upset a lot of students

What is a ballpark numerical value of "a lot"? Also, how would one define "upset"? Is it akin to my newspaper delivered to my flower bed or grandma got runover by a reindeer? I would venture to say a whole lot of students don't give a rat's about any of this.
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 am

We had numerous Dallas Hall demonstrations and rallies in my day. With Viet Nam in full swing coupled with racial unrest it was something different every week.

We even sat and ate lunch on the Dallas Hall grounds while one group took over the nearby administration building. I do not recall the basis for that one. It was very peaceful and I think the administration enjoyed getting some time out of the office in a beautiful spring day.
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am

I totally see Mrydel with long hippy hair chanting anti-government chants
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 am

I left campus on a Thanksgiving break one year on a day there was a big anti-war demonstration to take place at the flag pole. When I got to Little Rock the national news was reporting that the demonstration had been cancelled because only 2 or 3 people had shown up. It was kind of bad timing for them to have it scheduled on the day of holiday break.
mrydel

Postby edwa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Every i know was upset about it to some degree, it essentially was a ton of crosses, and said each crosses was a life taken by abortion, many students, including pro-life friends of mine didnt like having that in the most prominent place on campus. basically i cant think of a single person that wasnt upset at it. and while it may not have been that upsetting, it still inspired many of my friends to donate money to planned parenthood.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

mrydel wrote:I left campus on a Thanksgiving break one year on a day there was a big anti-war demonstration to take place at the flag pole. When I got to Little Rock the national news was reporting that the demonstration had been cancelled because only 2 or 3 people had shown up. It was kind of bad timing for them to have it scheduled on the day of holiday break.

not unlike our having a home football game Thanksgiving weekend
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Very true
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop