PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Advice from Houstonians?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Advice from Houstonians?

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am

I now have a job that will have me commuting to H-Town weekly during the workweek. My office will be downtown and I'll be living somewhere between there and HBU, where I'm working on my masters in Apologetics. I know very little about Houston, but plan to take full advantage of getting to know the town.

I'll be doing Airbnb for the first few weeks, but will eventually be renting a studio apartment, garage apartment, or small condo -- something like that. Thoughts on neighborhoods to live in? Places to go after work? Restaurants? Things to do?

Looks like the area around Rice University might be kind of nice...
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Advice from Houstonians?

Postby Chnash318 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 pm

How nice of a place can you afford? Hanover Southampton and Hanover Rice Village are two of the best located apartments in the city because of walkability.
Chnash318
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I can basically afford anywhere, within limits of course. I'm really focusing on neighborhoods. Thanks for the suggestions
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Not too familiar as it has changed so much since I lived there, but it is hard to go wrong with the area around Rice and the Medical Center. I have quite a few friends who live in that part of town.

There are tons of the new-style condos and townhouses closer to town now, but I would assume they are as overpriced as far as real estate goes as they are in Dallas.

Have a great time. If you aren't married Houston girls are ten thousand times more real than Dallas girls!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 pm

I am very happily married, so I'll have to enjoy Houston in other ways.

Leaning towards a loft-style arrangement. There seem to be quite a few options there. This really is a wierd town with the lack of zoning.

And the area you mentioned did look promising as well when I drove through it today.
ponyboy

Return to Around the Hilltop