PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's with the power outages?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What's with the power outages?

Postby Junior » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Second this year?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What's with the power outages?

Postby RyanSMU98 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Related question: what in the world is wrong with the parents of these kids?? Heard about the outage on Facebook last night, and by the response from these helicopter parents you would have thought SMU dropped their poor, defenseless children in the middle of the jungle with no food, no clothes and CLEARLY no means to take care of themselves. I seriously fear for our future if these special snowflakes are SO rattled by a power outage.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Well isn't everything so advanced now that you can't get into your dorm without power (electronic locks)?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Bet the Lumen sold out quickly.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby edwa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:44 pm

The new commons the locks are electric, but are run on a seperate system to main power. The main electric locks to get into buildings run on main power and wouldnt work. Main problem was that students included me, were given 39 minutes to evacuate, and when your sitting off campus at a coffee shop to get work done that not a lot of time to make it back, and pack a overnight bag.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:Related question: what in the world is wrong with the parents of these kids?? Heard about the outage on Facebook last night, and by the response from these helicopter parents you would have thought SMU dropped their poor, defenseless children in the middle of the jungle with no food, no clothes and CLEARLY no means to take care of themselves. I seriously fear for our future if these special snowflakes are SO rattled by a power outage.

Very valid point!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Looks like the KAs are going to have to look for alternative housing for a lot longer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:56 am

edwa wrote:The new commons the locks are electric, but are run on a seperate system to main power. The main electric locks to get into buildings run on main power and wouldnt work. Main problem was that students included me, were given 39 minutes to evacuate, and when your sitting off campus at a coffee shop to get work done that not a lot of time to make it back, and pack a overnight bag.

A lot of items to hit here but it seems the student life staff are not adequately prepared for unexpected incidents nor trained to respond. Having said that, it doesn't explain or excuse the response from parents and students. The responses evidence a troubling trend of excessively manicured lives being managed by parents at the expense of students actually learning about life and adapting to the daily machinations of their future existence once the umbilical cord is finally cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 am

Puckhead48E wrote:
edwa wrote:The new commons the locks are electric, but are run on a seperate system to main power. The main electric locks to get into buildings run on main power and wouldnt work. Main problem was that students included me, were given 39 minutes to evacuate, and when your sitting off campus at a coffee shop to get work done that not a lot of time to make it back, and pack a overnight bag.

A lot of items to hit here but it seems the student life staff are not adequately prepared for unexpected incidents nor trained to respond. Having said that, it doesn't explain or excuse the response from parents and students. The responses evidence a troubling trend of excessively manicured lives being managed by parents at the expense of students actually learning about life and adapting to the daily machinations of their future existence once the umbilical cord is finally cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby dr. rick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:20 am

I think you are being way to harsh on the students (although they might need the pacifier for other things). the first messages from the university were to get out of the dorms, without telling the students where they should go. only hours later were they told to go to the towers or to the methodist church. think about it. get out of the dorms, but not being told where to go. maybe sit in the rain, as the other campus buildings were being locked down. failure by administration of planning for emergency. rumor has it that it has something to do with the mythical tunnels under SMU.
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 am

Yeah the secret underground Taj Mahal IPF construction has hit a couple power lines already.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 am

dr. rick wrote:I think you are being way to harsh on the students (although they might need the pacifier for other things). the first messages from the university were to get out of the dorms, without telling the students where they should go. only hours later were they told to go to the towers or to the methodist church. think about it. get out of the dorms, but not being told where to go. maybe sit in the rain, as the other campus buildings were being locked down. failure by administration of planning for emergency. rumor has it that it has something to do with the mythical tunnels under SMU.

I wasn't on campus, so I have no idea really how the students handled it and I'm sure there is room for improvement by the administration in terms of communication and emergency management that should be addressed. I was more taken aback by the reactions of parents that would lead one to believe that their ADULT children are completely incapable of adapting to a challenging situation. It was over the top and just perpetuates the privileged, trust-fund, "mommy and daddy will fix everything so I don't have to think at all" stereotype of SMU. I think our students are better than that (though no doubt there are plenty, at every school, who really do need the pacifier).
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby geno » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:16 pm

dr. rick wrote:I think you are being way to harsh on the students (although they might need the pacifier for other things). the first messages from the university were to get out of the dorms, without telling the students where they should go. only hours later were they told to go to the towers or to the methodist church. think about it. get out of the dorms, but not being told where to go. maybe sit in the rain, as the other campus buildings were being locked down. failure by administration of planning for emergency. rumor has it that it has something to do with the mythical tunnels under SMU.

Oh, the humanity! (Meanwhile, 18, 19, 20, 21 year olds in Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq are making it, though 3 21 year old Marines in Niger just got killed yesterday, with three more wounded. But to face doing without power and having to leave your dorm room for a few hours, unbearable!)
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Why does a power outage necessitate ordering the dorms to be evacuated? We don't expect people to evacuate their houses or apartments when the power goes out.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

With school administrators who believe in things like this as published in the dissertation of Dr Ashley.
ImageImageImage
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop