PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Majoring in Political Science or Business

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Majoring in Political Science or Business

Postby prospy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 am

if it gets bumped up to a 3.7 there is no chance I will get into Cox. as it Is I would have to stay in school another year so I will probably just settle for an easy major to get a high GPA. what do yall think is the easiest at SMU?

it sucks that SMU doesn't have an energy minor like TCU does... I still think I would rather go to SMU though.
prospy

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Environmental Science may be a good fit for you. SMU > TCU
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:05 am

Nothing wrong at all w/ a Political Science undergrad major. Everyone and their dog has an undergrad finance degree. I work in corporate valuation w/ a Political Science/History double major and my classes at SMU prepared me well for the scrutiny that comes with external auditing and report writing. It just depends on what you want to do. The finance/CPA guys at my firm are great with numbers but struggle with narrative structure, defending their positions, and general business development/marketing.

The best thing you can do at SMU is take advantage of the tremendous networking opportunities for internships. The Dallas business community is flooded with SMU alums. The SMU Career Center is an incredible resource for undergrads. Take advantage of it.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 am

It does depend on the area of law you intend to practice. I do intellectual property, first amendment and entertainment for the most part with a chunk of business and some appellate work. I have a history degree from good old SMU, and much of my day is spent analyzing, writing and arguing. Some M&A and tax guys I work with have more financial backgrounds. Obviously the patent guys have STEM backgrounds. You need to think of the different tools you'll need in your practice area.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop