PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Majoring in Political Science or Business

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Majoring in Political Science or Business

Postby prospy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello Pony fans,

I'm a college freshman that goes to ACC, very interested in transferring to SMU for the Spring or Fall 2019. I messed around my first semester so it will probably take at least this semester and next of good grades to get in as a Liberal Arts major. I would like to be a Landman and possibly go to law school some day, so I know that I won't HAVE to go to get a BBA. That being said, is it worth attending SMU (or another college) for an extra year and postponing my graduation a year in order to get my BBA from Cox instead of majoring in something like Politics or History? Do you think I would I be better off graduating a year later and going to Cox, graduating on time and getting a Liberal Arts degree, or going to another (lesser) school for my Business degree? What would y'all do if you were in my circumstances?

Just want to say thanks in advance for any advice and Go Mustangs! :D
prospy

Re: Majoring in Political Science or Business

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Don't you need a 3.5 GPA at SMU to get into Cox? That may be a bit challenging by the time you transfer in as a late sophomore or junior. Not sure what grades you would need to transfer into Cox from ACC but it could be possible if you ace your classes the rest of the way and show an incredible turnaround.

My recommendation is to get an Econ degree with some business classes that are relevant to being a landman and then go to law school. Don't go to a "lesser school" just to major in business. Showing that you can turn it around at ACC and then excel at SMU will be more than sufficient to get into a top law school (plus solid LSAT of course).
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby prospy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Don't you need a 3.5 GPA at SMU to get into Cox? That may be a bit challenging by the time you transfer in as a late sophomore or junior. Not sure what grades you would need to transfer into Cox from ACC but it could be possible if you ace your classes the rest of the way and show an incredible turnaround.

My recommendation is to get an Econ degree with some business classes that are relevant to being a landman and then go to law school. Don't go to a "lesser school" just to major in business. Showing that you can turn it around at ACC and then excel at SMU will be more than sufficient to get into a top law school (plus solid LSAT of course).

I can probably eventually get up to a 3.5 or 3.6 but it may mean graduating in 2022 instead of 2021
prospy

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm

many grad schools will look at progress and test scores.
Law School doesn't care about business undergrad.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 pm

You should do Econ - get your degree there, and then do the 5th year masters of finance. That way you don't have to wait a couple of years to do a MBA.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dr. rick » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:18 pm

let me clarify a few things. the 3.5 rquirement for cox is in a "core" subset of classes (not all classes): i think they are accounting, econ, stats, english, ... yes, law schools care about undergraduate degrees. if someone applies with 'quantitative' undergraduate (e.g., finance, econ, statistics) they actually get extra points on their admissions. one of our pres scholars (majoring in finance and something else - ok i am biased, so sue me) was admitted to harvard and stanford law. yes, she is very smart.
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Postby edwa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Dr Rick is wrong, i just applied to Cox as a sophmore at SMU currently, need a 3.5 GPA overall to get in, soon to be increased to 3.7.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:28 pm

If you want to go to law school, pick the easiest major imaginable so you can get the highest GPA...and then study your [deleted] off for the LSAT. All they care about is GPA and LSAT...not major
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Do not spend another unnecessary year in college. Go to the best school possible and get the best grades possible.
mustangxc

Postby midwestpony » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

@edwa it will never be a 3.7 GPA, I work as a tour guide in admissions they are going to change the admissions policy before they bump the GPA up again. Stop spreading FakeNews.
midwestpony
Recruit

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 pm

dr. rick wrote:let me clarify a few things. the 3.5 rquirement for cox is in a "core" subset of classes (not all classes): i think they are accounting, econ, stats, english, ... yes, law schools care about undergraduate degrees. if someone applies with 'quantitative' undergraduate (e.g., finance, econ, statistics) they actually get extra points on their admissions. one of our pres scholars (majoring in finance and something else - ok i am biased, so sue me) was admitted to harvard and stanford law. yes, she is very smart.

Its really just the standardized tests - nothing else really matters. Because GPA is very subjective to majors and schools - the only thing that is comparable is standardized scores.
gostangs

Postby edwa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

3.7 is just the rumor going around current cox students.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:57 pm

what GPA is needed when transferring in from another college/university to Cox?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PhantomPhi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Major in business if you want to create jobs and make life more prosperous for people you know.
Major in politics if you want to engage in blackmail, graymail and extortion.
I grew up in Chicago and my maternal grandmother died in 1990 and subsequently voted twice for Obama.
Also, if you are successful in business, you have leverage in politics.
Nothing sadder than a liberal w/o money trying to convince others to raising taxes for a group of slackers.
PhantomPhi
Junior Varsity

Postby dr. rick » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 pm

@coog. the requirements for transfers are the same as SMU students 3.5 in the core classes. It gets tricky to make sure that the courses transfer. otherwise, you have to take them at smu.

@edwa - thank you for pointing our fake news. For the s-school to change requirements, the faculty must approve, then the admin must approve. 3.7 isn't going to happen. we have a (nice) problem where we have the most undergraduate students in our history. We have problems filling the classes with teachers and finding classrooms. the b-school has 24% of students and 12% of the faculty. think long and hard about these stats and how they affect 'student experience.' I have 65-75 graduate students in my class, how does this compare to 10-12 students in an English elective?

@gostangs. you are correct. my point was that STEM classes help in the application process. If you are not a good STEM candidate, you are killing yourself with a lower GPA. Max out the LSAT.

@phantom - take a toke and relax.

best
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop