PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Student Media Gone

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Student Media Gone

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:11 pm

And again the point is missed by Gostangs. It doesn't matter whether the Daily Campus is print or online, it is the loss of the independent student press that is at issue here. That independence is important- even if one doesn't agree with the Daily Campus (and I didn't much of the time). It's loss reflects very poorly on us as an institution, especially in this day and age.

And yes, this is another in a bigger string of events that just demonstrates the poor stewardship of the university.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Bottom line: SMU is absorbing one of the few outlets that actively reported on its day to day activities and criticized it. This is a big loss.
It sounds like the website will basically be a place to post articles students write in class and you won't hear anything bad about SMU b/c the school now has final say.
The DC is far from perfect (what student media is) but every institution needs eyes and ears observing it. Whether it's the DC for the kids or Scout/Rivals/DMN for athletics.
If we had to rely official SMU press releases from the AD or admin, that would be not good.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 am

skyscraper wrote:Bottom line: SMU is absorbing one of the few outlets that actively reported on its day to day activities and criticized it. This is a big loss.
It sounds like the website will basically be a place to post articles students write in class and you won't hear anything bad about SMU b/c the school now has final say.
The DC is far from perfect (what student media is) but every institution needs eyes and ears observing it. Whether it's the DC for the kids or Scout/Rivals/DMN for athletics.
If we had to rely official SMU press releases from the AD or admin, that would be not good.

Kind of curious about what is currently being taught in Journalism major these days anyway. Considering the current state of the media in the US and the fact that it has morphed from a "holding public and Private sectors accountable" to sensationalism 101, highly agenda-driven, and a business where a profit can be made by increased ad revenue and clicks.

Sounds like SMU has made a business decision here - just as CNN, Fox and every other major media outlet has done - all at the expense of a true free, unbiased and factual media.

Sad day for SMU.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm

some of the best investigational journalism in decades is going on right now-just because its accessed by the internet doesn't change the quality necessarily although standards on the internet collectively has dropped
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Looks like TCU doesn't have a print newspaper but plenty of good stuff here:
https://www.tcu360.com/

TCU 360 is part of TCU Student Media. It is student-led and faculty advised. Our mission is to develop aspiring journalists who use accurate and ethical reporting to inform and serve people invested in TCU. All Horned Frogs are welcome. TCU Student Media is part of the Department of Journalism in the Bob Schieffer College of Communication.

Tulane still prints a weekly printed paper but not sure if that will continue. https://tulanehullabaloo.com/
"The Hullabaloo is an independent, student-run organization that operates out of New Orleans. All material belongs to The Hullabaloo."

I believe that the more accomplished high school seniors would want to be part of an independent operation, although I suppose a school run one could have more resources when not tied to ad dollars.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby b_caesar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:14 pm

mtrout wrote:
Stallion wrote:We wish all the very best to the new editors who will lead our journalists into the next year ofreporting online only with The Daily Campus and hold a tepid hope for the future of the free press on SMU’s campus”

Well that’s encouraging. I bet they sold it as a “world changers shaped here” action. Or maybe it was a title ix issue. Too many males involved in printing.

Textbook smu move.

Can't blame SMU here. Student Media Co. is a completely independent publisher, separate and apart from SMU. SMU had absolutely no part in the final decision to dissolve the company, which was made by the company's board of directors (those "adults" alluded to in the student's editorial).
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby geno » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Looks like TCU doesn't have a print newspaper but plenty of good stuff here:
https://www.tcu360.com/

TCU 360 is part of TCU Student Media. It is student-led and faculty advised. Our mission is to develop aspiring journalists who use accurate and ethical reporting to inform and serve people invested in TCU. All Horned Frogs are welcome. TCU Student Media is part of the Department of Journalism in the Bob Schieffer College of Communication.

Tulane still prints a weekly printed paper but not sure if that will continue. https://tulanehullabaloo.com/
"The Hullabaloo is an independent, student-run organization that operates out of New Orleans. All material belongs to The Hullabaloo."

I believe that the more accomplished high school seniors would want to be part of an independent operation, although I suppose a school run one could have more resources when not tied to ad dollars.

I was in the McDonalds a block away from TCU on Berry Street last week, and there were stacks of something called "The Skiff", which claimed to be the TCU campus newspaper. Did I get that wrong?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am

b_caesar wrote:
mtrout wrote:
Stallion wrote:We wish all the very best to the new editors who will lead our journalists into the next year ofreporting online only with The Daily Campus and hold a tepid hope for the future of the free press on SMU’s campus”

Well that’s encouraging. I bet they sold it as a “world changers shaped here” action. Or maybe it was a title ix issue. Too many males involved in printing.

Textbook smu move.

Can't blame SMU here. Student Media Co. is a completely independent publisher, separate and apart from SMU. SMU had absolutely no part in the final decision to dissolve the company, which was made by the company's board of directors (those "adults" alluded to in the student's editorial).

Yep.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

Yep, geno, there's proof that TCU still prints a weekly paper.

Produced by TCU students and sponsored by the department of journalism, TCU Daily Skiff features a variety of news, articles, events, and information. Every article here is written by students themselves as well as alumni, teachers, staff and more.

UH paper is supported by School with oversight. Supposed to be editorially independent.
The Cougar is published every Wednesday during the fall and spring semesters, twice during the summer and online daily at thedailycougar.com. The Cougar is supported in part by Student Service Fees. The Cougar is editorially independent and student-run within the Center for Student Media. The Student Media Advisory Committee meets monthly to monitor the progress of the publication and hear concerns from the public.

+++++++++++++++
SMU, through Student Media Co., was operating independently, like Tulane's paper. SMU's group, probably like many others, faced enough financial difficulties to disband operations. Now, SMU has to spend the funds to support the Daily Campus and Rotunda. Did it have those funds budgeted for 2018-19? Based on comments below, it seems like they'll find a way to do the Rotunda for now but it's longer term future may be at risk. I assume it's a financial drain as well. Like most other school media operations, SMU's will be funded and overseen by the University. However, it will be somewhat ahead of the curve without a printed paper. I presume that other school "papers" will also cut printed editions in years to come.

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smus ... lve-in-may
“Eroding revenues from the print edition were not offset by revenues from the online Daily Campus leading to financial constraints faced recently by many contemporary and former print magazines and newspapers,” he said.

“The Journalism Division…has great interest in continuing the tradition of The Daily Campus as the proving ground for student reporters,” Sedman said. “The hope is that Rotunda yearbook can continue its 100-plus year tradition past this year.”
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Looks like things did not go well in the attempt to save the paper.
http://www.smudailycampus.com/opinion/a ... ia-company
skyscraper

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 am

Things didn't go well because clearly the board and the school didn't want them to go well. This is seriously disturbing and disappointing. While I have vocally expressed my displeasure with some decisions around campus, I have always been proud to be a Mustang and voiced my concerns because I care deeply for the school. I have to say that for the first time in thirty years as a student and alum that I am ashamed of being an SMU grad. I honestly never thought I would feel this way.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Things didn't go well because clearly the board and the school didn't want them to go well. This is seriously disturbing and disappointing. While I have vocally expressed my displeasure with some decisions around campus, I have always been proud to be a Mustang and voiced my concerns because I care deeply for the school. I have to say that for the first time in thirty years as a student and alum that I am ashamed of being an SMU grad. I honestly never thought I would feel this way.

So how is an independent company shutting down SMU's fault?
smupony94

Postby midwestpony » Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 am

As a current student I can honestly say no one reads the daily campus in print. Some people would read the online articles but with today's changing media landscape they were behind on the times. I have spoken to administrators about the paper. The Journalism Dean will be sure to maintain its total independence from school oversight. Furthermore, it has in my four years done poor investigative journalism. There is not one instance I can point too that it was calling the school out for actionable items - that weren't already being discussed at the highest level by students in student senate.

I'm glad it will still be around, this was a decision by the independent company. Hopefully it can adopt a better vision than what it currently has as it has been slipping. Compared to many of the present posters who are concerned it sounds like the nature of college journalism and quality of th eproduct has certainly changed.
midwestpony
Recruit

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 04, 2018 10:59 am

it sounds like the nature of college journalism and quality of th eproduct has certainly changed.[/quote]

Here's the e
One Trick Pony

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri May 04, 2018 11:40 am

I understand that the board of the SMC is a separate corporation (and one that has been negligently run at best), but SMU did actively weaken the SMC with past decisions, and it could have founds means either means to either help maintain an independent student media, or could step in with systems and protocols to maintain the independence of the student media beyond just a wink from the journalism department. It is the fox promising to run the hen house. The silence and inactivity of the administration speaks volumes about their approach to this problem, especially in today's media environment.

Since we seem to be maintaining the argument that SMU and SMC are at more than an arms length, I wonder what SMU is paying for the acquisition of the SMC's intellectual property. I agree that the quality over the past thirty years has been up and down, and I have on occasion taken issue with DC writers. The loss of the print edition is regrettable but not really the point since the online edition, yearbook and whatever else they would continue to publish should be free from university interference.
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop