PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby AustinPerson » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Arkansas taking Chad Morris is what Ole Miss should have done for us with Mike Cavan years ago. Who knows who we could have picked up if Cavan left early on a "high note."
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:00 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Who knows who we could have picked up if Cavan left early on a "high note."

Cavan looking older...is still working...probably a great environment.

https://georgiadogs.com/staff.aspx?staff=411
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Sad what SMU did to him (& all the other coaches) but hopefully he's doing well.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
AustinPerson wrote:Who knows who we could have picked up if Cavan left early on a "high note."

Cavan looking older...is still working...probably a great environment.

https://georgiadogs.com/staff.aspx?staff=411

Probably has a strong golf game now
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gohogs14 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Arkansas had a TE, maybe our best player, quit the team on Friday night after a closed door meeting with coaches over accountability and playing favorites. Players' parents have said the meeting got extremely heated and that 9 or 10 of the players have checked out on Morris now and are mailing it in.

Probably haven't seen the worst of it yet. Just not sure how you could afford to keep him for another year.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:37 pm

gohogs14 wrote:John Stephen Jones listed as starter for this weekend and KJ Jefferson backup.

Looks like the last pass Hicks will ever throw will indeed be a pick 6.

So appropriate and too many on this board could have predicted it. He did well for SMU when we were poor to mediocre and he was throwing to NFL caliber receivers but just made a mistake going to Arkansas. I suspect he knew Buechele was coming and that he would not play at SMU but he should have dropped to CUSA, SunBelt or FCS level so he could have enjoyed his last year of football more.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Jerry was the guy pushing for Chad to be hired . Chad knows that starting JSJ will keep him in their good graces and hopefully he gets another year.
If it’s true the players are checked out and they lose the rest of their games then he just might be gone. If he shows any progress at all and starts JSJ then Jerry will intervene and keep him.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Tight end says he never said he was leaving the program. It will be interesting to see what happens. Attitude counts in the NFL and he is definitely a prospect.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm

I was never a big fan of Hicks, (really disliked his sulking) and I realize he had great receivers, but you cannot completely discount the fact that in less than 3 years of actually starting, he is SMU’s all-time leader in passing yards, total offense, TD passes, completions and 300-yard games.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gohogs14 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Pony81 wrote:Jerry was the guy pushing for Chad to be hired . Chad knows that starting JSJ will keep him in their good graces and hopefully he gets another year.
If it’s true the players are checked out and they lose the rest of their games then he just might be gone. If he shows any progress at all and starts JSJ then Jerry will intervene and keep him.

I think one of Chad's biggest mistakes was bringing in Hicks and Starkel, two guys who can't move at all. His offense, especially with a bad OL like Arkansas has, seems to work best with a mobile QB and even though it was a small sample size it looked great when he was finally able to use one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6CVBdjHRQk

Even with JSJ it looked smoother since he can somewhat move around even though he doesn't have a huge arm and is really small.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

KJ Jefferson was a 4* recruit with an offer from A&M and others. Was he just not ready to play before MSU? Chad mentioned limited playbook and didn't say he was trying to redshirt him.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of youth like you hear about at WVU or other rebuilds. Maybe that's the case but Chad would probably mention that in his pressers.

I wondered if Chad rode in Jerry's helicopter to Chandler's game Friday night.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gohogs14 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:50 pm

tristatecoog wrote:KJ Jefferson was a 4* recruit with an offer from A&M and others. Was he just not ready to play before MSU? Chad mentioned limited playbook and didn't say he was trying to redshirt him.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of youth like you hear about at WVU or other rebuilds. Maybe that's the case but Chad would probably mention that in his pressers.

I wondered if Chad rode in Jerry's helicopter to Chandler's game Friday night.

He probably wanted to redshirt him but the downside of that is it may have cost him his job unless we all of a sudden look great now, which then fans would wonder why we didn't just play him to begin with.

There is a lot of youth. I remember reading during one of the games that Arkansas has the 2nd youngest defense in college football and we are also starting 2 true freshman WRs and another true freshman at RG. Chad leaving to go see Chandler play every Friday and not moving his family to Fayetteville is a hotly contested issue among Arkansas fans. I don't think it's a big deal but when you're losing everything gets magnified.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Lots of youth on UA. Boys against men in the SEC West.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 pm

mrydel wrote:Tight end says he never said he was leaving the program. It will be interesting to see what happens. Attitude counts in the NFL and he is definitely a prospect.

Quoting myself to correct. TE is officially off the team after a “mutual agreement “ between he and Morris.
mrydel

Postby SMU#92 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:27 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Arkansas taking Chad Morris is what Ole Miss should have done for us with Mike Cavan years ago. Who knows who we could have picked up if Cavan left early on a "high note."

Wow! Didn't expect to see that throwback to 1999.
SMU#92
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop