PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Oh, and all of those testy non-conference games are at home!!

This schedule was built for Morris to show some progress...and give time for his top recruiting classes to kick in.
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby gohogs14 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Maryland78 wrote:Oh, and all of those testy non-conference games are at home!!

This schedule was built for Morris to show some progress...and give time for his top recruiting classes to kick in.

Michigan was originally supposed to come to Fayetteville next year but not too upset that they backed out now. Need every win we can get.

@ Notre Dame early next year might turn out to be a huge game for Morris and how his Arkansas tenure will play out. The offense should have his fingerprints all over it by then.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:20 am

Stallion wrote:Correct Answer:

This gives Arkansas a legitimate shot a bowl game next year-might fall a game short. He doesn't have to beat the SEC -all he has to do is win 4 non-conference games and 2 SEC games and he's a big upgrade on what they had last year. I'd guess Arkansas gets at least 5 wins just like when SMU went from 2-10 to to 5-7 in Morris' 2nd year but was playing for a bowl at end of the season. If you betting that Morris isn't going to upgrade that program then this will not end well for YOU

Write it down

I DO believe he will start for Arkansas next year. He isn't perfect, but the CM offense doesn't require perfection. They will limit him to bubble screens, crossing routes, and fly patterns to limit turnovers. His familiarity with the offense provides him a major advantage and will buy CM some time to develop a young QB.

We will see how his recruiting classes turn out. It is clear that his classes at SMU were very top heavy with a severe lack of depth. There is a reason why so many freshman played last year. He (rightfully so) caters to the recruiting sites and they in turn rate his recruiting classes favorably.

My biggest concern for his success is that while he has a great OL coach, the focus on the OL and DL on mobility and not staying big/strong I think won't play well in the SEC. And while he had major DC issues here at SMU, how he practices also prevents the defense from being competitive.

He should go 4-0 non-conference every year, although keep an eye on the Western Kentucky game. Beyond that, Ole Miss is away, Kentucky is away and trending up. He does get Miss St at home, so that might be winnable. Auburn could slide next year, and Mizzou could slide after losing Lock. I think those two and the Ole Miss games are his only chances at Ws next year in conference. We will see if his Defense and OL are good enough to pull it off.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 am

Maryland78 wrote:Geez, Stallion...really going out on a limb with Arkansas 5-7 record. Their non-conference schedule is:

Portland State
Colorado State
San Jose State
Western Kentucky

If they don't sweep non-conference and go to a bowl game, there might be a full tilt boogie posse chasing Morris back to Texas!

Right, 7 home games and a neutral site game against the Ags in Arlington. This slate is custom built to get to a bowl. "mission accomplished"

Aug. 31 Portland State
Sept. 7 at Ole Miss
Sept. 14 Colorado State
Sept. 21 San Jose State
Sept. 28 vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)
Oct. 12 at Kentucky
Oct. 19 Auburn
Oct. 26 at Alabama
Nov. 2 Mississippi State
Nov. 9 Western Kentucky
Nov. 23 at LSU
Nov. 30 Missouri (Little Rock)
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Wild Mustang » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am

The fact that Ben Hicks has transferred to Arkansas is ridiculous! Ben Hicks an SEC QB. Seriously? I have been laughing for the past 24 hours. Is Ben Hicks related to Chad Morris? How can Chad Morris think that adding Ben Hicks is a step forward for the Arkansas program? Almost all respect for Chad Morris has been lost with this move.

Any conversation of Ben Hicks starting at Arkansas is laughable. Arkansas might not be loaded at QB, but Ben Hicks has no business being a starter at QB for Arkansas. Why do you think that he transferred? Rhetorical question for all the Ben Hicks lovers out there. At least Sonny Dykes has moved on from Ben Hicks.
Last edited by Wild Mustang on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

Chad Morris Is learning how to be #100 instead of #1
Last edited by mtrout on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 am

footballdad wrote:Morris, with Hicks at QB.......in the SEC! :lol:

Ambulance Co. stocks now surging in bull market !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am

Stallion wrote:Correct Answer:

This gives Arkansas a legitimate shot a bowl game next year-might fall a game short. He doesn't have to beat the SEC -all he has to do is win 4 non-conference games and 2 SEC games and he's a big upgrade on what they had last year. I'd guess Arkansas gets at least 5 wins just like when SMU went from 2-10 to to 5-7 in Morris' 2nd year but was playing for a bowl at end of the season. If you betting that Morris isn't going to upgrade that program then this will not end well for YOU

Write it down

"write it down".........in disappearing ink ? The big horse just had another "read my lips" moment :lol: :lol: :lol:
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby gohogs14 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am

Wild Mustang wrote:The fact that Ben Hicks has transferred to Arkansas is ridiculous! Ben Hicks an SEC QB. Seriously? I have been laughing for the past 24 hours. Is Ben Hicks related to Chad Morris? How can Chad Morris think that adding Ben Hicks is a step forward for the Arkansas program? Almost all respect for Chad Morris has been lost with this move.

Any conversation of Ben Hicks starting at Arkansas is laughable. Arkansas might not be loaded at QB, but Ben Hicks has no business being a starter at QB for Arkansas. Why do you think that he transferred? Rhetorical question for all the Ben Hicks lovers out there. At least Sonny Dykes has moved on from Ben Hicks.

He still had a better year than Storey did last year, outside of completion percentage.

Storey: 57.2%, 6.2 yards/attempt, 11 TDs and 10 INTs

Hicks: 55.9%, 6.9 yards/attempt, 19 TDs and 7 INTs

Storey threw an Int every 25 throws, Hicks threw one every 53 throws. Granted it was against SEC competition and Storey didn't have much help, but if they are around the same I guess the knowledge of the offense would give Hicks the edge. Arkansas was only able to install 1/3 of the playbook with Storey. Hicks should have more weapons to throw to than Storey did even though they will almost all be freshmen.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 am

Arkansas O-Line left A LOT to be desired, especially if you are a QB.

Hicks may be in for a beating on every Saturday...if in fact he even gets the starting job.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm

gohogs14 wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:The fact that Ben Hicks has transferred to Arkansas is ridiculous! Ben Hicks an SEC QB. Seriously? I have been laughing for the past 24 hours. Is Ben Hicks related to Chad Morris? How can Chad Morris think that adding Ben Hicks is a step forward for the Arkansas program? Almost all respect for Chad Morris has been lost with this move.

He still had a better year than Storey did last year, outside of completion percentage.

Storey: 57.2%, 6.2 yards/attempt, 11 TDs and 10 INTs

Hicks: 55.9%, 6.9 yards/attempt, 19 TDs and 7 INTs

Storey threw an Int every 25 throws, Hicks threw one every 53 throws. Granted it was against SEC competition and Storey didn't have much help, but if they are around the same I guess the knowledge of the offense would give Hicks the edge. Arkansas was only able to install 1/3 of the playbook with Storey. Hicks should have more weapons to throw to than Storey did even though they will almost all be freshmen.

Factor in points scored directly on turnovers and see what you come up with.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Just listened to an interview with Morris in regard to Hicks. It certainly was not a ringing endorsement talk. He welcomed Ben for depth, spoke about the good high school from which Hicks came, and then spoke well about the other QBs on the roster. Spoke very little about Hicks directly.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:15 pm

What is it then? Hicks looks good on the incoming class breakdown? Hey guys I just signed SMU's all time leading passer! ???
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm

What is is that this board has a bunch of SMU homers that don't know much about college football

Chad Morris will not get a P5 offer-he had several to choose from
Baylor going to a bowl game laughable-not so funny
Ben Hicks won't get any P5 offers-he got at least 2 and had several other opportunities like Georgia
Tech and even UCLA and Florida contacted him. An experienced QB for a Top 12 offense in Total Offense is going to get looks

Specifically Arkansas will not offer Ben Hicks because Storrey is better-apparently Arkansas thought differently after coaching both

Ben Hicks will start from Day 1 at Arkansas and unless he gets hurt there is no one that will take his job
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:54 pm

A team can hand pick cupcakes and go to a bowl with a .250 conference record. What a wonderful system. Tell me, though, how does it help recruiting to see a connected one and done grad transfer win a few softball games?
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop