PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:There are tons of schools where Hicks could start but now he will probably get to exhaust his eligibility sitting on the bench. Have fun!

If he wanted to, Hicks could transfer again. The fall semester hasn't begun yet and I imagine a couple of P5 schools will still be looking for a QB in March/April/May.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am

Timothythegreat wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
footballdad wrote:"He surely didn’t “promise” Ben the starting job."..................

I bet Ben would say otherwise.

I mean come on. Nobody is going to grad transfer without thinking they are going to start without competition. Chad definitely promised him the starting job.

There are tons of schools where Hicks could start but now he will probably get to exhaust his eligibility sitting on the bench. Have fun!

Is it also your belief that Morris said he was going to do absolutely nothing to address the gap left by the departure of qb2?

That could have easily been done with a JUCO, sure. But transfers with one year left who were starting at their current school don't transfer unless they know they will start.

Unless, of course, Hicks really doesn't want to play much anymore, and is happy about being a backup quarterback and then move into coaching.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:38 am

Hicks has stated he went to UA and Coach Morris in order to “get to the next level”.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 am

mrydel wrote:Hicks has stated he went to UA and Coach Morris in order to “get to the next level”.

"Get to the next level" of all-time pick 6 rankings?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am

mrydel wrote:Hicks has stated he went in order to “get to the next level”.

Whole new lifestyle. Levels, Jerry. Lots of pillows like ancient Egypt.
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm

mrydel wrote:Hicks has stated he went to UA and Coach Morris in order to “get to the next level”.

That's fair. If Hicks thinks he has that level of ability (to play professionally at some level), then I'm sure he will welcome SEC competition to see how he measures up. Reality check for either Mr Hicks or for all of us who don't think he is as talented as the numbers he posted at SMU. If he wins the starting job, survives a season in the SEC and finds a place where he can make a living playing the sport he loves, good for him.
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:10 pm

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019 ... ng-about-/

Hicks is a graduate transfer, meaning he doesn’t have to take a full class load to be eligible. Ironically, he’s enrolled in a leadership class in his graduate program. The NCAA requires grad transfers to be enrolled in only one class, all Hicks is taking.

Hicks picked out the leadership course, offered online. He told Bo Mattingly in a podcast this week that it takes him 30 minutes of daily work on his laptop to do the reading and answer the questions, then it’s off to football.

“It’s like my job is now football,” Hicks said last month. “I have my degree, so it’s like I’m in the work force now. It’s football all day, every day. I can help others in their tape study. I can be in the football offices all day.”

That’s what you want at quarterback, a player/coach. Morris has said this all spring: the Hogs are better. And, in the next breath, he’ll probably say that No. 8 is the leader. You’ll see Saturday that No. 6 is pretty good, too.

++++
Can players graduate and go to grad school at their undergrad school while taking only one course? This seems like a pretty big loophole, but Shane can do the same thing...like GG before that.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 pm

You just reminded me that the Arkansas spring game is on ESPNU right now.
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:25 pm

This isn't ripping Hicks but it's pretty disgusting a college athlete can get a scholarship for that.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby White Helmet » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Same thing Joe Burrow did at LSU, and he has another year of eligibility.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:35 pm

I remember someone (maybe Gilbert?) who took ballroom dancing as their one class.
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm

mrydel wrote:I remember someone (maybe Gilbert?) who took ballroom dancing as their one class.

Matt Leinart did at USC. The difference was he had completed all of his undergraduate requirements to graduate and he took the dancing class so he could still be enrolled for his senior season.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 pm

That’s right. Thanks for the correction.
mrydel

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Ben Hicks leads Hogs in 2019 spring

Arkansas fans got to see glimpses of what the Razorback offense could look like next season with graduate transfer quarterback Ben Hicks at the helm on Saturday in Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville during the annual Red-White Game. Hicks completed 8 of 18 passes with one touchdown and no interceptions on Saturday. He threw the ball well with the White Team's first unit and showed off his quick release while experiencing pressure from the Red Team's defensive line throughout the first half. After a slow start, Hicks and company finally came alive in the second quarter when he delivered a 10-yard bullet to Tyson Morris over the middle with four minutes remaining in the first half

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/ ... 130979386/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Ben Hicks leads Hogs in 2019 spring

Arkansas fans got to see glimpses of what the Razorback offense could look like next season with graduate transfer quarterback Ben Hicks at the helm on Saturday in Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville during the annual Red-White Game. Hicks completed 8 of 18 passes with one touchdown and no interceptions on Saturday. He threw the ball well with the White Team's first unit and showed off his quick release while experiencing pressure from the Red Team's defensive line throughout the first half. After a slow start, Hicks and company finally came alive in the second quarter when he delivered a 10-yard bullet to Tyson Morris over the middle with four minutes remaining in the first half

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/ ... 130979386/

44% sounds familiar!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop