PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby mr. pony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:31 pm

TWO bye weeks for Hogs?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:35 pm

mr. pony wrote:TWO bye weeks for Hogs?

Yep- bye, bye
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:03 pm

mr. pony wrote:TWO bye weeks for Hogs?

If we can have two, it's only fair that they can, too
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyte » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm

I still don't understand the Stockholm Syndrome of which some suffer and contiune to comment on this thread. Present company included.

Gosh this is tiresome.
ponyte

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Then don’t participate. Lots of subjects get tiresome but if enough folks want to talk about it, it gets talked about.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:32 am

ponyte wrote:I still don't understand the Stockholm Syndrome of which some suffer and contiune to comment on this thread. Present company included.

Gosh this is tiresome.

Well...we spent a lot of time stalking McCown, JJ, Bo Levi and others who have moved on from SMU. Some want to see our former coaches and players succeed, others want them to fall flat on their faces so there is plenty of interest. Just think of how long threads like this would carry on if we had more than the 1500 actually interested. My guess is that the bball forum will have a thread following Arkansas hoops and their new GT PG this year (who can't shoot FTs).
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Then don’t participate. Lots of subjects get tiresome but if enough folks want to talk about it, it gets talked about.

a Man wise beyond his years. Well said, Treadway.

Oh, and for the record, Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs thread is the most popular PFs thread of 2019, and it’s not even close.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I think it's talked about because it represents a turning point on SMU's football program. It was sort of out with the old (Morris and Hicks) and in with the new (Sonny, etc). It's a symbolism of two people (Morris and Hicks) who thought the grass was greener on the other side (for obvious reasons to them) and took for granted the tremendous opportunity they had in front of them at SMU to really make the program something special. It's the difference between having someone that is part of your family and wants to be part of your family and someone that is not.

So, a big part is due to enjoying the success that this change has brought about to SMU, and a little bit is also enjoying how poorly Morris is doing given the form in which he left.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:15 pm

+1000%
redpony

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Sonny has come in and shown that attitude, gratitude, patience, taking things one day at a time, true confidence (not the for show flimsy kind), making it about the players and not yourself, and humbleness can get you really far.

I think the Ben Hicks part is interesting because his attitude was his biggest problem at SMU, and Arky fans are all talking about his negative body language and attitude there as well.
Last edited by PNW_Stang on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I think it's talked about because it represents a turning point on SMU's football program. It was sort of out with the old (Morris and Hicks) and in with the new (Sonny, etc). It's a symbolism of two people (Morris and Hicks) who thought the grass was greener on the other side (for obvious reasons to them) and took for granted the tremendous opportunity they had in front of them at SMU to really make the program something special. It's the difference between having someone that is part of your family and wants to be part of your family and someone that is not.

So, a big part is due to enjoying the success that this change has brought about to SMU, and a little bit is also enjoying how poorly Morris is doing given the form in which he left.

This is dead on Maroons. I liked the JJ hire and also liked the Chad hire, but both seemed to think they were bigger than the program and just didn't have as good a plan as Sonny has demonstrated. Both JJ and Chad talked about the "opportunity" and potential SMU presented, citing our history, location, quality education, etc...but just failed to execute the way Sonny has so far. This thread will live on as long as Chad remains employed at Arkansas and I will admit that I'm one who hopes he succeeds because I really did appreciate the fact that he was the only coach in the post death penalty era who left SMU because someone else recognized the job he did here and they actually wanted him running their program.
Charleston Pony

Postby bubba pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:06 pm

found this fake punt drawn up by CM. comical

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27880043
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Reminds me of some of Jethro Boedine’s concoctions on the Beverly Hillbillies. We can’t all be a double knot spy.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:26 am

bubba pony wrote:found this fake punt drawn up by CM. comical

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27880043

It's not so much the play, but the execution that was poor. I always appreciated Chad's creativity with trick plays when he was here and when he was at Clemson. Remember when he had TCU wondering "where did that come from?" Players ultimately have to make the proper reads and decisions and Arkansas just doesn't have the Jimmys and Joes right now.
Charleston Pony

Postby Nacho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:31 am

we were never going to be good with chad. no defense at all.
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop