PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Should SMU sever ties with the Methodist Church?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Should SMU sever ties with the Methodist Church?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:25 pm

If they change the name everyone will have to learn new words to Varsity and Pony Battle Cry!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:32 pm

AusTxPony wrote:How about The University of Dallas? Following OSU lead.
We'd just need to acquire the existing U of D

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
RGV Pony

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 pm

It’s happening.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ThisIsOurTime » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:15 pm

untitled wrote:
ThisIsOurTime wrote:
gostangs wrote:Yes. We haven’t been a church school for generations. It’s silly for the Methodist church to try to hang onto this. Let us go and be officially what we have been for 50 years,

But how would you reimburse them or the donors who thought they were supporting a Methodist school? Seems like a lot is owed to those folks.

And why couldn't the alternative be that those who want to abandon ties with the Methodist Church simply leave and start their own school? Don't forget the Methodist Church did start the school. The atheist faction would still be the interlopers even if they have become entrenched in recent years. How would this not be stealing? You going to make a claim of adverse possession? Why couldn't the Methodist Church put pressure to clean house and kick the proverbial squatters out?

And if you did run off the Methodist Church, what about the name of the school, you going to change it to Southern Atheist University to reflect its godless identity?

I agree that you are confusing "atheist" with "secular."

I think y'all are naive and don't see where that path leads.
ThisIsOurTime
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:32 pm

We are not a religious school. Perkins is the smallest school at the university and also is the least productive to the whole. (Less donations, prestigege, students and alumni then any other school at SMU). It worked out ok for Duke and USC to separate from the church - we need to do the same. Let the church be the church and SMU be a university.
gostangs

Postby untitled » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:50 pm

ThisIsOurTime wrote:I think y'all are naive and don't see where that path leads.

Help me with my naiveté, please. Where does that path lead?
untitled
Varsity

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 am

untitled wrote:
ThisIsOurTime wrote:I think y'all are naive and don't see where that path leads.

Help me with my naiveté, please. Where does that path lead?

In Vanderbilt's case, a top 20 ranking and reputation as a world class university.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:06 pm

So, what would the new name be, if Methodist is removed from the name? There's already a Southern University. Do we sell the naming rights? For $1 Billion we'll name the University after you for 100 years. Imagining Apple University? Exxon University? Just be careful. Balitmore Ravens sold their stadium naming rights to PSI NET which went bankrupt and the naming rights were an asset in the bankruptcy for several years. Or do we find a middle name that starts with "M", so we can keep our initials?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm

EastStang wrote:Or do we find a middle name that starts with "M", so we can keep our initials?

Millionaires.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 am

I think the "Southern" refers to the "Southern Methodist Church," not the region. Nevertheless, there are lots of important M people: Moody, Miller, Meadows...
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby dalpony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:40 am

Southwestern Miller University lol
dalpony
Varsity

Postby friarwolf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:42 am

You just continue to emphasize SMU and let southern methodist university drift away.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby ThisIsOurTime » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:00 pm

friarwolf wrote:You just continue to emphasize SMU and let southern methodist university drift away.

That would be pretty disrespectful to all the Methodists who started and supported the school.
ThisIsOurTime
Junior Varsity

Postby ThisIsOurTime » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:03 pm

gostangs wrote:We are not a religious school. Perkins is the smallest school at the university and also is the least productive to the whole. (Less donations, prestigege, students and alumni then any other school at SMU). It worked out ok for Duke and USC to separate from the church - we need to do the same. Let the church be the church and SMU be a university.

What is your faith? Why do you think the Methodists founded the school?
ThisIsOurTime
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:22 pm

ThisIsOurTime wrote:
gostangs wrote:We are not a religious school. Perkins is the smallest school at the university and also is the least productive to the whole. (Less donations, prestigege, students and alumni then any other school at SMU). It worked out ok for Duke and USC to separate from the church - we need to do the same. Let the church be the church and SMU be a university.

What is your faith? Why do you think the Methodists founded the school?

Not sure the reason the Methodist founded the school is relevant at this point. Theology is not a sustainable academic path for a university today - unless it is a total focus such as Dallas Baptist. Also not relevant - but my faith is active Presbyterian.

We all just need to admit this has been in name only for well over 50 years. Probably more. Separating is only acknowledging the reality. The Methodist church has no control over SMU, the Bishops on the board are figure heads and there is very little religious academic activity going on at SMU.

And the M can be for Middle. Or just leave it as Methodist but refer to us as just SMU (like TCU does now). That is not insulting to anyone - it just acknowledges that things change over time.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop