PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play football.

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play footb

Postby BUS » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:24 am

Don't be bringing real facts to this talk. WE all need to get back to work.

FYI, Do you now look where stuff is made before you purchase it?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:29 am

I live in Austin where the city convention center is being prepped for the overflow of covid patients from the hospitals which are almost full. There will be beds for the time being, but hospital staff are already worn down and there is a big question as to whether enough of them will stay healthy and hold on through this surge.
We are expecting another surge when kids move into town for the fall semester at UT I don't see schools packing fans into the stands anytime soon. There is also a question about how many teams on our schedule will opt out of the season. I have no inside information but I am betting that any schedule we have this year will be abbreviated and may be played in front of only friends and family. At least, given our typical attendance, our stadiums is perfect for social distancing but will anyone travel here to play us?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:09 pm

I think there is a big misconception regarding the prevalence of COVID-19. While a very small % of the total population has been infected at some point, our hospital ICUs and crematories have at times been overrun with capacity during this pandemic. While 3 million infected out of 328 million is very minor, getting very sick and showing up to a hospital and not getting treated due to excess capacity is a huge problem. I never understood why the news media stopped reporting on COVID-19 during the protests and riots because this will not magically fade away no matter how much we'd like for that to be the case. There are too many bad actors in this country that have made the pandemic much worse than it needs to be by sharing or in some cases omitting vital information including the president, his staff, the news media, and even some doctors that have political agendas. We simply need to recognize this virus is a problem that cannot be ignored, take proper precautions including masks no large gatherings and social distancing, put the data in perspective so we don't cause people to live in fear yet explain the severity to others that ignore the issue, take care of our citizens with universal healthcare subsidies for treating this virus so that we can all go back to doing the things we love doing.
mustangxc

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:05 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?

I said it’s a bad flu. Also, those death counts are cooked beyond belief; I think George Floyd got counted as a Covid death in Minnesota.

College athletes have a better chance of dying when they drive to school than they do of Covid.

PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Reposting verbatim since apparently we're trying to make this happen in multiple threads. First band now foozball

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who ... -covid-19/

“The majority of transmission that we know about is that people who have symptoms transmit the virus to other people through infectious droplets,” Van Kerkhove said. “But there are a subset of people who don’t develop symptoms, and to truly understand how many people don’t have symptoms, we don’t actually have that answer yet.”

Ponyboy is correct. Statement is more of an unknown quantity than a "No it ain't happnin" and was a miscommunication at first. Another quote in the article talks about how people are most infectious in the pre-symptomatic phase before they really start to feel like doo doo.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?

I said it’s a bad flu. Also, those death counts are cooked beyond belief; I think George Floyd got counted as a Covid death in Minnesota.

College athletes have a better chance of dying when they drive to school than they do of Covid.

It isn't a bad flu and saying so is as smart as saying "I got in to both TCU and SMU but, ya know, I think I'll go to TCU."
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:36 pm

ponyte wrote:

Yes, Spanish flu in 1918, over 22 million world wide with 195,000 US citizens dying in just the month of Oct. Hong Kong flu of 1968 had 100,000 deaths, most over the age of 65. US popuslation then was 206 milliion comapred to 330 million now.

There was no lock down for either of the aboved mentione flus.

There was also a parade before the flu was gone and it caused a spike due to reopening too soon.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180970372/
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 am

IMHO - The WHO followed Chinas lead of masks and social distancing. The CDC followed the WHO that followed Chinas lead.

WE are Americans and some have used alternative paths that have shown better results. This is REAL. So you can not just blow this off.

If this group was leaving St. Louis to go to California (1849) - You were not going to be protected so you studied and prepared to take care of yourself. Wagon, water, dry food, medicine, Guns, Ammo, clothes, Trading items, shovels, knives, don't forget grease for axles.

Americans need to figure this out and stop listening to media spout ^*&(*&(*&^#%(%)(^#$@$#EDFTIH.

Did you get that!!!
God's Peace
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby orwell » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 am

FWIW, 11,000+ Texans died from the flu in 2018. Compares to roughly 3,000 Texas COVID19 deaths to date.
orwell

Postby malonish » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am

I honestly don't understand saying we've had better results with alt methods. We lead the world in cases so you might need to clarify.

Here's our curve versus a lot of the EU who is putting up a wall to us.

Another example: Japan had less than 1000 deaths and never had to shut down because everyone wore their masks. Masks are not to protect you, they are to protect those around you. Refusal to wear a mask is an indictment on your level of caring for the people around you.

Re: medical condition claimers- a severe COPD patient wore her pulse oximeter while wearing all the different masks including N95 and her oxygen % never dipped below 99.

Re: "testing reveals cases"
Denmark: 1 test per 5 residents
US: 1 test per 8.5 residents

Cases yesterday:
Denmark: 12
US: 61,848

Again, sorry for ranting but if you want to clarify the statement that we've had better results I'm all ears.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm

BUS wrote:WE are Americans and some have used alternative paths that have shown better results. This is REAL. So you can not just blow this off.

The irony is that Europe listened to the American scientists, followed their directions, and have controlled the situation.

In the US, our politicians didn't listen to the American scientists, and look at where we are.

The media isn't the problem. Our public and politicians not listening to the American experts is the problem. The public listening and getting advice from extreme media and politicians rather than educating ourselves is the problem.

It is your choice to listen to one side of the hype train or the other. If you are believing the hype of either side and blaming the other instead of actually learning on your own from valid sources, then you are just part of the problem.
JasonB

Postby ponyte » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Greetings from the belly of the beast. So much has been hypothesized about Covid. So many conflicting reports. The fact is, we have not had enough expericne to understand this disease. Death rates between countries is worthless as the definition of death due to Covid is different from country to counrty. The definition of death due to Covid in this country has 50 different difinitions. So its impossible to make sound analysis of the data as its GIGO.

When we frist saw Covid in the hospital, we were told to never, under any circumstances, give steriods. Of course there were times we absolutely had to give steriods ( e.g.Status Asthmaticus). We often see people admiitted for one problem and find out they are Covid positive such as the above mentioned asthma problem. Its not Covid that is the problem, its just a coincidential finding. We noticed then people seem to do better with steriods.

We did the Hydroxychloriquine gig for a while. However, recent data and recommendations are not to use this drug and to use an antiviral and steriods (for 5 days). By the way, this is the way we have treated the flu for years.

I have no prediction of the future of this disease except it will dissipate. Nobody knows when. We will learn from this and be better prepared if something like this happens in the future

Oh, this is not a scarey virus. Its not even close. Early in my career, we faced a far deadlier virus. I dealt with a significant number of patients with the virus. And I had my share of needle sticks from patients infected with the virus. It was so deadly, if one got it there was a 100% chance of death. No cure and still no cure. Or a vaccine. Yet, we learned enough do develop medications that prolong life and its quality life. Back then we called it HTLV III. We now call it HIV and the disease it caused is AIDS.
ponyte

Postby malonish » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:59 pm

The changing response to a new set of information is both normal and scientifically appropriate. Some people complain "but they said XYZ before" and you can respond with "yes, and given the newest information is it still the most correct thing?" Just because a response is updated doesn't mean that by default that person is wrong or unfit. Given the newness of this situation, there will be old ideas pruned off and new ideas created in response to discoveries.

TE it sounds like you're in the mess of it and wish you the best.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Ponyte is the man.