PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play football.

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play football.

Postby BUS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:52 pm

About 19,800 results (0.50 seconds)

Search Results
Web results

WHO: Asymptomatic Virus Transmission 'Very Rare' - Newsmax
www.newsmax.com › 2020/06/08

Jun 8, 2020 - "From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually ... And they're not finding secondary transmission onward.
Missing: evidence ‎| Must include: evidence
COVID-19 alert
Common questions

Is there asymptomatic transmission of the coronavirus disease?

How long is it between when a person is exposed to the virus and when they start showing symptoms?

What should I do if I have had close contact with someone who has COVID-19 and I cannot get tested?

What do I do if I’ve been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19?

For informational purposes only. Consult your local medical authority for health advice.

Feedback
Web results

Fact Check: Did WHO Say That Asymptomatic COVID-19 Cases
thelogicalindian.com › Fact Check

Claim: WHO stated that asymptomatic COVID-19 cases rarely spread the disease.
Claimed by: Social Media posts
Fact check by The Logical Indian: True

Feedback
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play footb

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:39 pm

If you're asymptomatic -- and you cannot transmit COVID-19 -- then do you really have it? Tree in the forest, no one hears it kind of a question.

It appears the WHO backed off that position the very next day, June 9th, by the way.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes, I'm not buying it. If not, then people are bigger POS than I ever imagined because the virus would only be transmitted by symptomatic people in which case everyone catches it from someone who is feeling very ill and still decides to go out and spread the disease everywhere. I imagine those people exist, but would like to think better of most people.
mustangxc

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 pm

The mortality rate in New York for the month of April 2020 was double the mortality rate for April 2019. The only real difference was that in 2020 Covid was running wild. But Mustangxc there are symptomatic people who are spreading the virus at work because they can't afford time off and others who are spreading it to family members or friends who don't take the whole thing seriously.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 pm

Those are the worst kind of people, as they like to send their kids to school and go to work even when they are very contagious to the detriment of everyone else.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:12 am

Liberals who control the media are hyping up Corona to derail Trump (and football in the process).

It’s a bad flu.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:24 am

Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:33 am

PNW_Stang wrote:Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?

I said it’s a bad flu. Also, those death counts are cooked beyond belief; I think George Floyd got counted as a Covid death in Minnesota.

College athletes have a better chance of dying when they drive to school than they do of Covid.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:45 am

1) The WHO issued a clarification today, it is worth reading. The asymptomatic issue is one that is really hard to track down and study. A lot of people will say they are asymptomatic, because they don't want to be blamed for going in public sick. Or they say they weren't sick, but in reality they had a slight cold. Also, keep in mind that the way this virus spreads - some people have the infection, get sick, and don't make others sick. Others are super spreaders - they infect everyone they are around. That inconsistency with the super spreaders makes studying impact of the virus very difficult. All of that said, there is plenty of evidence out there that sometimes asymptomatic people are super spreaders of the virus.

2) It isn't a bad flu. Not only from the death results, but the behavior of this thing is totally different from the flu. The transmission rate is higher. It congregates in the upper respiratory system instead of lower. It spreads in the summer instead of just the colder months. The problems it causes are much different in nature to the flu- flu doesn't cause blood clotting. It doesn't mutate as much as the flu. The only thing it has in common with the flu is that it is a respiratory disease. You might as well just say "it's a bad virus". And yes, it is a bad virus.

3) the death counts are not cooked, at all. Go look at the typical death counts for week 12 of this year to week 25. Then compare to all of the previous years. You will see the difference in the number of deaths really, really quickly.

4) Covid deaths right now are only the 8th leading cause of deaths in Texas. They will move up over the next two weeks and surpass many other categories, including car accidents (just as they have done nationally, where covid is the 3rd leading cause of death). Irregardless of all that, the risk is much higher for the coaches and professors those athletes will come into contact with.

If your opinion is that our professors and coaches should accept the risk, you have every right to that opinion. But don't misconstrue the facts.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?

I said it’s a bad flu. Also, those death counts are cooked beyond belief; I think George Floyd got counted as a Covid death in Minnesota.

College athletes have a better chance of dying when they drive to school than they do of Covid.

You are exactly the type of person who should listen to these nurses:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/us/c ... e=Homepage

And it's all of you people saying it's "just a bad flu" (or even worse misstatements) who are why the US has not been able to control the virus like Europe and Canada have, and you're why the US is far more likely to have sports seasons canceled. It is only by taking this pandemic as seriously as we need to that things like sports will work. Places that are now taking it seriously have sports (Bundesliga, Korean Baseball, Premier League); places that don't, don't (Djokovic's tournament, FC Dallas flying home because half the team is positive).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 am

The other problem is that the symptoms mimic:, colds, flu, and even sinus infections. I am highly susceptible to sinus infections and allergic to the world. So, many times I feel yukky. Is it COVID, is it sinuses? Do I stay home for 14 days every time I feely yukky. My test is to take some sudafed. If it clears up in a couple of hours after taking sudafed, its sinuses or a cold. If it doesn't, then I would worry. So far its been sinuses. But who knows, I could have had asymptomatic COVID playing around as well. Not being evil, just trying to be scientific. One other point, we should all remember that science in real time is ugly to watch. Remember its all about theory, test theory, results, reboot, new theory, new tests, new results.... That is why you have such a myriad of voices from scientists, some touting one treatment method, some touting another, some advocating lockdowns, others advocating community immunity. So, my view is live your life the best that you can, wear a mask to be kind to others who may be at higher risk so that they can live their lives and social distance within reason, and keep lots of fluids on hand and the liquor cabinet well stocked. One last point to keep mind, is that this thing varies from state to state, but two things are clarifying themselves. It is super lethal for folks over 80 and in retirement communities. In some states, the flu killed more people than COVID this year. So, be careful, be respectful of others who may be at higher risk.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 am

East Stang - Thank you for being logical and Texas friendly. Wash, stay home if sick and don't go around old people or compromised people.

Most are fine and may not even know they had anything. I would like to see antibody testing. Saw great results on this on 60 minutes.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 am

Definitely a problem when some of the top programs in the country attempted to start workouts only to have to suspend

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -start-as/
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Liberals who control the media are hyping up Corona to derail Trump (and football in the process).

It’s a bad flu.

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about. It's not political, only Trump and his group have made it political. If we take it seriously, we can go on with our lives. Trump is derailing himself.

EastStang wrote:The other problem is that the symptoms mimic:, colds, flu, and even sinus infections. I am highly susceptible to sinus infections and allergic to the world. So, many times I feel yukky. Is it COVID, is it sinuses? Do I stay home for 14 days every time I feely yukky. My test is to take some sudafed. If it clears up in a couple of hours after taking sudafed, its sinuses or a cold. If it doesn't, then I would worry. So far its been sinuses. But who knows, I could have had asymptomatic COVID playing around as well. Not being evil, just trying to be scientific. One other point, we should all remember that science in real time is ugly to watch. Remember its all about theory, test theory, results, reboot, new theory, new tests, new results.... That is why you have such a myriad of voices from scientists, some touting one treatment method, some touting another, some advocating lockdowns, others advocating community immunity. So, my view is live your life the best that you can, wear a mask to be kind to others who may be at higher risk so that they can live their lives and social distance within reason, and keep lots of fluids on hand and the liquor cabinet well stocked. One last point to keep mind, is that this thing varies from state to state, but two things are clarifying themselves. It is super lethal for folks over 80 and in retirement communities. In some states, the flu killed more people than COVID this year. So, be careful, be respectful of others who may be at higher risk.

Well put!
mustangxc

Postby ponyte » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:39 am

Yes, Spanish flu in 1918, over 22 million world wide with 195,000 US citizens dying in just the month of Oct. Hong Kong flu of 1968 had 100,000 deaths, most over the age of 65. US popuslation then was 206 milliion comapred to 330 million now.

There was no lock down for either of the aboved mentione flus.
ponyte

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop