PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Now, From TT grad

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Now, From TT grad

Postby malonish » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:11 am

That's really interesting and I agree about the micro-views. I've seen people talk about how we're basically 50 tiny countries trying to get along and state lines usually indicate a difference in thought (Oklahoma thinks it is better, Texas *knows* it is better)

Thanks for sharing.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am

malonish wrote:
gostangs wrote:I took in what you were saying - it wasn't all that complicated. You think the curve bent because of masks - but it could just as easily been the younger nature of who is getting infected right now, the better treatments and resulting shorter hospital stays, or the likelihood that this thing just has to run its course and infect the susceptible until it peters out like all other viruses. Probably a combination of all of those. But its interesting that nobody is more masked up and nutty scarred about this than California, and they are hitting records also. You don't really know any more than anyone else on this despite the tone of every one of you posts.

Curve bent due to shutdowns. Curve has gone up after re openings because people aren't wearing masks and "spitting that rona" everywhere. Shutdowns allowed for more production of PPE and now people should wear them now that there is an increased capacity. Also re: California I have seen plenty of videos of people out without masks and refusing them like from this guy going around giving out free ones on Huntington Beach for example. That and it's more likely that a densely populated area will have more spread because duh. If anything Cali should be "nutty" and wear masks (which again, they have a problem there too) due to them being packed together so tight.

On the things I mentioned, I do know a lot of factual information and have politely offered when something has been non factual. My tone is clinical until someone says that young people are low risk because of my personal levels of connection to sick and dead people that were fit and young.

Your personal connections aside, young people are factually at a extraordinarily low risk of being damaged by this virus. Older people are at a very high risk. The statistical proof of those two statements is everywhere, and is undisputable.

Also California is not all that dense. In fact they invented sprawl. Not saying they shouldn't wear masks, just saying there is more to suppressing transmittal than masks, because this thing spreads even where masks are prevalent.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:57 pm

I think the question is what happens if all starters test positive for COVID?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Then in two weeks we will have a football team that wont have very many health issues for the rest of the year.
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

...or it could be that a few key contributors on the team have their lungs severely compromised. The truth is nobody really knows how anyone's body will react to the virus.
mustangxc

Postby malonish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 am

Masks work like vaccines. If only a few people use them then a disease can still spread. My super technical made up term Herd Maskmunity lol.

But yeah getting the disease can and will make long term effects other than death so young people aren't out of the woods just because they don't die of the primary effects.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 am

gostangs wrote:
malonish wrote:
gostangs wrote:I took in what you were saying - it wasn't all that complicated. You think the curve bent because of masks - but it could just as easily been the younger nature of who is getting infected right now, the better treatments and resulting shorter hospital stays, or the likelihood that this thing just has to run its course and infect the susceptible until it peters out like all other viruses. Probably a combination of all of those. But its interesting that nobody is more masked up and nutty scarred about this than California, and they are hitting records also. You don't really know any more than anyone else on this despite the tone of every one of you posts.

Curve bent due to shutdowns. Curve has gone up after re openings because people aren't wearing masks and "spitting that rona" everywhere. Shutdowns allowed for more production of PPE and now people should wear them now that there is an increased capacity. Also re: California I have seen plenty of videos of people out without masks and refusing them like from this guy going around giving out free ones on Huntington Beach for example. That and it's more likely that a densely populated area will have more spread because duh. If anything Cali should be "nutty" and wear masks (which again, they have a problem there too) due to them being packed together so tight.

On the things I mentioned, I do know a lot of factual information and have politely offered when something has been non factual. My tone is clinical until someone says that young people are low risk because of my personal levels of connection to sick and dead people that were fit and young.

Your personal connections aside, young people are factually at a extraordinarily low risk of being damaged by this virus. Older people are at a very high risk. The statistical proof of those two statements is everywhere, and is undisputable.

Also California is not all that dense. In fact they invented sprawl. Not saying they shouldn't wear masks, just saying there is more to suppressing transmittal than masks, because this thing spreads even where masks are prevalent.

Please read this: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaca ... le/2768916

There is more and more evidence coming out about the long term impacts of Corona. Regardless of age or underlying condition.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 am

Helpful. First time I'd heard of potential cardiac impact. It's hardly dispositive, but interesting and worrisome nonetheless -- definitely worth following. Thanks for the reference.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I read an article that said there are apparently 6 different "versions" of COVID-19, one affects heart, one lung, one sight, one taste, and a couple of others. So, is it one virus with 5 mutations or 6 different viruses? My initial theory that this was a weaponized virus that got loose in China is looking better and better.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 pm

ponyboy wrote:Helpful. First time I'd heard of potential cardiac impact. It's hardly dispositive, but interesting and worrisome nonetheless -- definitely worth following. Thanks for the reference.

An MMA Champ's dad got COVID and had heart stuff blow up and it killed him. Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov was the guy. A great coach from Dagestan and helped keep troubled folks out of street violence through martial arts.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:03 pm

gostangs wrote:Your personal connections aside, young people are factually at a extraordinarily low risk of being damaged by this virus. Older people are at a very high risk. The statistical proof of those two statements is everywhere, and is undisputable.

Yes, it spreads where masks are prevalent, but it spreads less easily when they are worn. How much less seems to be contested, depending on what expert is cited, but there are CDC statements out there saying masks won't eliminate the spread, but could reduce it by as much as 70%.

Your statement about older populations being at higher risk seems to be beyond debate. Everyone acknowledges that. That's one reason the outbreak with the Marlins is so concerning. A lot of those guys, also young fit athletes, aren't much older than college athletes.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop