PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football this fall? No way

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Football this fall? No way

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 pm

.1 is a good IFR number for the seasonal flu in developed nations.

I think when all is said and done that we’ll have an effective IFR for COVID-19 that is materially lower than the flu. But a much larger percentage of the population will get corona. The end result will be that mortalities will be like a particularly bad flu year. It does have to be acknowledged that there do seem to be some nasty permanent side effects from corona.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:00 pm

ponyboy wrote:.1 is a good IFR number for the seasonal flu in developed nations.

I think when all is said and done that we’ll have an effective IFR for COVID-19 that is materially lower than the flu. But a much larger percentage of the population will get corona. The end result will be that mortalities will be like a particularly bad flu year. It does have to be acknowledged that there do seem to be some nasty permanent side effects from corona.

Deaths are already beyond 2x what 2018 or 19 had though? Seems worse than a "bad flu year"
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:15 pm

malonish wrote:Deaths are already beyond 2x what 2018 or 19 had though? Seems worse than a "bad flu year"

In Texas?

Texas Flu Deaths in 2017-2018 Flu Season = Nearly 10,000

https://www.chron.com/local/prognosis/a ... 025291.php

Texas Covid Deaths = Less than 4500 thus far
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am

ponyboy wrote:.1 is a good IFR number for the seasonal flu in developed nations.

The .1 number comes from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html

That is where I get the IFR for Covid. It is the right source to use for calculating IFR if you care going to compare it with the 0.1 number, because they use similar mechanisms for calculating the people who don't get tested for Flu. It is apples to apples.

It isn't going to be any different in Texas. They have already adjusted for the NYC disaster where it ran through senior facilities like wildfire.

In Texas, we are at 4K deaths. And we just now passed the 100 deaths per day threshold.

For what it is worth, where is the 10K deaths coming from? I see a bunch of articles reporting it, but when I look at the CDC and the official stats, I get this:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosm ... umonia.htm

I can't find actual reports that indicate that Texas was at 10K deaths for that season. 10K out of the 60K deaths that season in a single state seems like a lot, and if I download the spreadsheet from the CDC it adds up to around 60K with 3K or so deaths in Texas...
JasonB

Postby malonish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:03 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
malonish wrote:Deaths are already beyond 2x what 2018 or 19 had though? Seems worse than a "bad flu year"

In Texas?

Nationwide deaths Flu Vs Covid are multiple times more for Covid. The TX version of "Eff you we're fine so we're not gonna change our ways" is not acceptable and not saying you're doing anything on purpose but cherry picking only the TX data is not the whole picture.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:08 am

Speaking of data, according to Stanford dashboard Texas confirmed cases are down by 50% over the last 4 days. Guess we wont get blazing headlines on that information, will we?
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:10 am

malonish wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

In Texas?

Nationwide deaths Flu Vs Covid are multiple times more for Covid. The TX version of "Eff you we're fine so we're not gonna change our ways" is not acceptable and not saying you're doing anything on purpose but cherry picking only the TX data is not the whole picture.

Might be because the gov's in the NE put infected oldsters back in senior living homes driving the death rate up considerably. Our currented infected in Texas are younger on average so death rate will be quite a bit lower.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm

JasonB wrote:

That is where I get the IFR for Covid. It is the right source to use for calculating IFR if you care going to compare it with the 0.1 number, because they use similar mechanisms for calculating the people who don't get tested for Flu. It is apples to apples.

Jason, as I called out in the Around the Hilltop thread, the .5 to .65 IFR for COVID-19 is not an accurate number of what's happening in Texas. International data is highly suspect and these figures should not be thrown around as if they mean anything.

Look, I can understand your tendency to want to rely on "official CDC figures" rather than some schmo with Excel. But do the math yourself -- it's not rocket science. The only plug variable is the rate of those who catch corona and don't get an official test. I go with the CDC number on that: 10 untested for every 1 confirmed test.

All this tends to make one feel ok about a .24% IFR in Texas right now, especially when the CDC themselves (back in late May) estimated nationwide IFR at .26% These are not numbers that I'm pulling out of my rear end.
Last edited by ponyboy on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby Topper » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm

gostangs wrote:Speaking of data, according to Stanford dashboard Texas confirmed cases are down by 50% over the last 4 days. Guess we wont get blazing headlines on that information, will we?

If you are talking about daily new reported cases hat information is not even close the same as the information on the Texas Health and Human Services Commission daily graph which shows no such decline. Are you talking about fatalities rather than new infections? Daily fatality numbers have risen over the past 4 days. Also,according HHSC the number of cumulative total cases has risen rather than fallen over the past 4 days
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Jason, as I called out in the Around the Hilltop thread, the .5 to .65 IFR for COVID-19 is not an accurate number of what's happening in Texas. International data is highly suspect and these figures should not be thrown around as if they mean anything.

Look, I can understand your tendency to want to rely on "official CDC figures" rather than some schmo with Excel. But do the math yourself -- it's not rocket science.

It's likely that it was the national number. Taking only Texas numbers is not as useful as one might think. Think bigger to realize the full scope of the problem.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm

I could expand to include more states, for sure. But Texas data is solid and the set is sufficiently large. And if I start doing more of this COVID-19 data analysis, my wife is going to slit my throat as I sleep.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:27 pm

ponyboy wrote:I could expand to include more states, for sure. But Texas data is solid and the set is sufficiently large. And if I start doing more of this COVID-19 data analysis, my wife is going to slit my throat as I sleep.
And that will qualify it as a Covid death.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:47 pm

Topper wrote:
gostangs wrote:Speaking of data, according to Stanford dashboard Texas confirmed cases are down by 50% over the last 4 days. Guess we wont get blazing headlines on that information, will we?

If you are talking about daily new reported cases hat information is not even close the same as the information on the Texas Health and Human Services Commission daily graph which shows no such decline. Are you talking about fatalities rather than new infections? Daily fatality numbers have risen over the past 4 days. Also,according HHSC the number of cumulative total cases has risen rather than fallen over the past 4 days

https://med.stanford.edu/covid19/dashboard.html

Pretty good site for tracking. Death rate has been basically flat in D/FW and very low statistically.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/city ... ionalCases

This is another good site - shows new cases in DFW as a slow trend downward.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:50 pm

mrydel wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I could expand to include more states, for sure. But Texas data is solid and the set is sufficiently large. And if I start doing more of this COVID-19 data analysis, my wife is going to slit my throat as I sleep.
And that will qualify it as a Covid death.

Haha, yes
ponyboy

Postby malonish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Don't invest too much time on it. Just don't do like I said before with the "eff you got mine" and ignore that just because TX is ok now, other places are blowing up and it could get crazy here if people don't do their part. Using local data to target a larger data set is a cherry pick even if TX Cherries are juicy.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop