PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good article in The Athletic about SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Good article in The Athletic about SMU

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:27 pm

Belo Corp spun off the DMN years ago, knowing print media and the DMN would ultimately fail. Since then, the political center of the paper has moved significantly to the left, politically away from the majority of their subscribers. My neighbor is the retired Head of the DMN editorial page and when I ask he just shakes his head--"They just don't get it".
The News is no longer relevant to many people, but there are exceptions, especially professional sports and if we had positive coverage, to SMU sports. Sports coverage by the paper is considered responsible and essential for the last minute ticket purchases by the casual fan. The majority of my friends have cancelled their subscriptions referring to them as the Red Rag. Several have begun subscriptions to the the Fort Worth Star Telegram for their superior coverage of professional sports.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Agree, friarwolf
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
DC-Pony wrote:Aside from all the thoughts about the Dallas Morning News...back to the article and SMU...

I think The Athletic article does an excellent job at:
- Profiling how strong of a coach, program builder, and leader Coach Dykes is. We are so fortunate to have him!
- Illustrating the mounting strengths of the program and the value proposition for recruits.
- Discussing the strategy Coach Dykes has to be Dallas’s team and getting some of the best local talent (achieving that part with Stone already).

I think being Dallas’s Team, as we more fully achieve this, positions us really well - on top of continuing to win, of course - for P5 inclusion at some point. Some say UT thinks they already own Dallas, so why add SMU to the Big12? Well, guess what, they already don’t own Dallas...we just got their QB target. And, if I were the AD I’d be aggressively courting the Pac12. As much as UT might think they already “own” Dallas, they couldn’t afford another power 5 conference setting up shop in their backyard. I’d partner with Houston and together court the Pac12 to either: a) legitimately join that conference or b) use as leverage to join the Big 12. That would afford the Pac12 some continued symmetry in division alignment and really give the Big12 something to think about as it would rob them of natural expansion targets, further cementing them as a sub-class relative to the SEC and Big Ten.

No thanks on any PAC-12 talk. Don't want to be part of the left coast (where we would not even be playing football yet and would have no fans allowed when we were allowed to play). I don't see any division symmetry as SMU and Houston would be outliers and I hated the Pacific time zone games when we played in the WAC. Easy to get lost to the all important east coast media. The American is a good fit for SMU as long as it's members continue building on what we have. We have a better shot at P-6 status than ever joining the P-5 group...unless the Big XII some day decides they really should have 12 members as the name suggests.

We would be idiots to not inquire with the PAC-12. There’s a ton more $$ to be made there than we’ll ever get in the American. Yes, they’re in a down spot right now relative to the rest of the P5 but USC and Oregon will always be major players in CFB and schools like Utah and Washington have either played in the CFP recently or been knocking on its door. The PAC-12 is in a rough spot now because its leadership is a mess and they can’t get the $$$ from their TV contracts like other Power conferences do because they’re stuck in the MST and PST time zones. We could help them out there and give them access to the Dallas and Houston markets not only for TV slots but also to help them in recruiting Texas which virtually every PAC-12 team currently does a lot of. Imagine a conference like this, playing nine conference games per year:

South: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, SMU, Houston
North: Utah, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 pm

For those who think the PAC-12 is irrelevant, remember back a few short years ago to those USC teams with Bush and Leinart. They were THE draw in college football; you either loved them or hated them but you were watching them. The PAC-12’s downturn has been caused a lot by USC being down, and USC won’t be down forever. I could see them being in the mix with Texas to try and hire Urban in a few months.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby DC-Pony » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:16 pm

Exactly!

A very viable conference upgrade. And a courtship with PAC 12 could make Big 12 a motivated suitor as well.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 am

And another kitten dies with a conference realignment thread. While I wouldn't enjoy stayiing up until 2 a.m. to see our football games, I think no only would we be successful in the PAC-12, we would increase attendance when marquee teams like UCLA, USC, ASU, Colorado and Oregon come to town. And we'd be guaranteed to have a least one of them each season. So, I wouldn't hate it, if an offer is made.

As to newspapers, about 15 years ago, I discontinued the Washington Post. $350/year for a sports page and fuel for fires was not a good use of money. Talk about left leaning!! I am now $6,000 richer and just watch news on TV in the morning. Instead, that money paid for a year of Nationals tickets for 5 years.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 am

Understand cancelling your subscriptions. Any suggestions on keeping up with the OBITs?

We would be fools to not consider the PAC 12. Texas will never let SMU into the Big 12, dating back to Darrell Royal's rants about not letting a power school develop in Dallas. We are not qualified in terms of our research programs to be considered by the Big 10, and we can't compete as the doormat of the SEC. That leaves the ACC or PAC.

If the PAC really considered their problems with late night games, Consider SMU and maybe Houston. SMU would offer several mid-day Central Time Zone slots to showcase their games. Imagine those California teams playing mid-day games in late August and September! Imagine SMU also recruiting in California as well as Texas.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop