PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good article in The Athletic about SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good article in The Athletic about SMU

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Getting more great national coverage. Ponies rising!

https://theathletic.com/2122754/2020/10 ... _query=smu

Subscription required. But cost is very modest.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: Good article in The Athletic about SMU

Postby PNW_Stang » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Take note DMN, it isn’t very difficult - show the school, team, players, coaches, and even the students whose parents have money, respect, and honesty, and the fans and staff Won’t have to publicly call you out.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 pm

I look forward to seeing the bankruptcy of DMN and all those talentless "reporters" and "journalists" in the bread line. I have zero respect for them.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:39 pm

The failing DMN.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:57 pm

As bad as the SMU coverage is in the DMN, it would be tragic for Dallas if it fails. We are losing too many newspapers around the country.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby CenTXpony » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:16 am

Arkpony wrote:As bad as the SMU coverage is in the DMN, it would be tragic for Dallas if it fails. We are losing too many newspapers around the country.
We’re living in a digital world where majority of people get their news from the palm of their hand....there’s a pretty fundamental reason why a lot of newspapers are folding...
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 am

And we all want news almost immediately which is hard for a newspaper to do. Papers still do the best at investigate reporting though.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 am

Aside from all the thoughts about the Dallas Morning News...back to the article and SMU...

I think The Athletic article does an excellent job at:
- Profiling how strong of a coach, program builder, and leader Coach Dykes is. We are so fortunate to have him!
- Illustrating the mounting strengths of the program and the value proposition for recruits.
- Discussing the strategy Coach Dykes has to be Dallas’s team and getting some of the best local talent (achieving that part with Stone already).

I think being Dallas’s Team, as we more fully achieve this, positions us really well - on top of continuing to win, of course - for P5 inclusion at some point. Some say UT thinks they already own Dallas, so why add SMU to the Big12? Well, guess what, they already don’t own Dallas...we just got their QB target. And, if I were the AD I’d be aggressively courting the Pac12. As much as UT might think they already “own” Dallas, they couldn’t afford another power 5 conference setting up shop in their backyard. I’d partner with Houston and together court the Pac12 to either: a) legitimately join that conference or b) use as leverage to join the Big 12. That would afford the Pac12 some continued symmetry in division alignment and really give the Big12 something to think about as it would rob them of natural expansion targets, further cementing them as a sub-class relative to the SEC and Big Ten.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 am

DC-Pony wrote:Aside from all the thoughts about the Dallas Morning News...back to the article and SMU...

I think The Athletic article does an excellent job at:
- Profiling how strong of a coach, program builder, and leader Coach Dykes is. We are so fortunate to have him!
- Illustrating the mounting strengths of the program and the value proposition for recruits.
- Discussing the strategy Coach Dykes has to be Dallas’s team and getting some of the best local talent (achieving that part with Stone already).

I think being Dallas’s Team, as we more fully achieve this, positions us really well - on top of continuing to win, of course - for P5 inclusion at some point. Some say UT thinks they already own Dallas, so why add SMU to the Big12? Well, guess what, they already don’t own Dallas...we just got their QB target. And, if I were the AD I’d be aggressively courting the Pac12. As much as UT might think they already “own” Dallas, they couldn’t afford another power 5 conference setting up shop in their backyard. I’d partner with Houston and together court the Pac12 to either: a) legitimately join that conference or b) use as leverage to join the Big 12. That would afford the Pac12 some continued symmetry in division alignment and really give the Big12 something to think about as it would rob them of natural expansion targets, further cementing them as a sub-class relative to the SEC and Big Ten.

No thanks on any PAC-12 talk. Don't want to be part of the left coast (where we would not even be playing football yet and would have no fans allowed when we were allowed to play). I don't see any division symmetry as SMU and Houston would be outliers and I hated the Pacific time zone games when we played in the WAC. Easy to get lost to the all important east coast media. The American is a good fit for SMU as long as it's members continue building on what we have. We have a better shot at P-6 status than ever joining the P-5 group...unless the Big XII some day decides they really should have 12 members as the name suggests.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:10 am

The Darwinian process of media extinction is fascinating to observe, at least to me.
In 2006 there was a quantum shift in multi age levels turning to electronic media rather than print or even the "local traditional" media sources (ABC/NBC/CBS). CNN and ESPN started the move back in the late 70s and early 80s, but the shift to other sources is really linked to the common advent of mobile (cellular) media sites.

That along with the move to "editorialized reporting" means the Blackie Sherrod/Bob St John days are over. The presumption is that the unwashed masses (you and me) can't understand things without having them explained in a manner that allows bias in one form or another.

THAT is now the norm and the DMN, slow to evolve and move to digital media, has lost its share of that market. How do you make it up? Become the National Enquirer of Mainstream Print Media in Dallas. Take a stand against obvious soft targets and ride it until it is no longer a story. Thus SMU.

DMN demographics lean heavily to the over 60 crowd. My 93 yo mom still gets it delivered in Farmers Branch. NO ONE else I know in Dallas still takes it in print form.

Cowlishaw's piece was an example of that type of what passes as journalism...Sonny handled it to script, as the DMN enjoyed the exposure and controversy, and enjoys its 15 minutes of fame.

The problem for the DMN is that the 15 minute clock is ticking to zero for them. JFK said re Dallas media back in 1963 that folks "looked forward to the afternoon".

Well, now we are eagerly awaiting for the DMN sunset.
Last edited by peruna81 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am

Fascinating there is such simultaneous scorn and obsession regarding the DMN here. Maybe start a separate thread about the DMN for those declining few that care.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:47 am

Strong feelings for a supposedly irrelevant institution. It always comes down to politics.
mustangxc

Postby Dukie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 pm

mustangxc wrote:Strong feelings for a supposedly irrelevant institution. It always comes down to politics.

Yep. And it's all just "virtue" signaling from people who love to whine that those they disagree with are, um, virtue signaling.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Terry Webster wrote:And we all want news almost immediately which is hard for a newspaper to do. Papers still do the best at investigate reporting though.

The fact is that cable news outlets found that putting people in place that spout off about extreme opinions drives ratings up. And because they are just sharing an uneducated opinion (go look the number of people at Fox News and MSNBC who never finished college), you can cut the research department (i.e. investigative reporting). So reporting on the "news" becomes a lot less expensive.

Newspapers are losing money not only because they don't have instant release, but also because they actually spend money trying to do things "the right way".

Everyone rips on the media. But the media isn't the problem. The people who actually watch Fox News, CNN, MSNBC... they are the problem, because they are feeding the dumbing down of the American public.

This post is not intended to support the DMN, but rather to vent frustration at the news in general in this country. The Economist, BBC News, PBS, and NPR may seem boring to some people, but at least they more accurately report the actual news and hire professionals to do so.
JasonB

Postby friarwolf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 am

The DMN was once one of the great papers in the US. They were also clued into their target market which was by and far conservative. The idiot Bob Decherd decided he needed to make it a liberal leaning paper and brought in liberal editors. He lost readership by the tens of thousands and compounded it by ignoring the growing presence of the web and then invested in stupid technology - remember the cue cat????? He gets what he deserves...........
friarwolf
Heisman

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop