PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New SMU Billionaire

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:02 pm

gostangs wrote:
malonish wrote:Brings a tear to my eye seeing someone start out on third base and make it home to score.


Or perhaps we can congratulate someone who had advantages, but instead of squandering them and being lazy, she figured out how to make them work for her, creating a new company and a ton of new jobs. Capitalism works.


Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Y'all acting like I'm attacking you personally lol.

Facts though: systemic poverty can't be overcome by any amount of boot strap pulling and the ones who start out with fancy silverware will get fancier ones by virtue of opportunities their station provides for.

Thanks for the taxes though Bumble. Maybe Texas can use it to fix their inadequate coal, natty gas, and nuclear instruments that accounted for vast majority of the power loss this week.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby SMUvet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:26 am

Wow. Go preach your politics and ignorance somewhere else.

Everyone is just saying good for her. And bootstrapping is real but people who have been privileged enough to not experience it often don’t recognize it. America is the land of bootstrappers.

People who politicize everything are the reason for our current culture crisis. Unhappy people causing problems and offering no solutions.

Pretty cool watching a successful entrepreneur ring the bell with a baby in hand.
SMUvet
Recruit
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:24 pm

malonish wrote:Brings a tear to my eye seeing someone start out on third base and make it home to score.

How many other 31 year old women have created a publicly-traded $8 billon company? Check your misogyny at the door.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
User avatar
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7404
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 8:35 am

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:03 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
malonish wrote:Brings a tear to my eye seeing someone start out on third base and make it home to score.

Check your misogyny at the door.


Nice dishonest and bad faith false flag.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:05 pm

SMUvet wrote:Wow. Go preach your politics and ignorance somewhere else.

I made a joke and got blown up so they asked for it.

SMUvet wrote:And bootstrapping is real.


Nope. Systems are in place to prevent this. Thanks for buying into it though :D
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby SMUvet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:38 pm

Such an unhappy person.
SMUvet
Recruit
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 pm

SMUvet wrote:Such an unhappy person.


I'm sorry you feel unhappy because if you meant that for me that's just sad :mrgreen:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby SMUvet » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 am

Sorry gotta go work on the “system” to hold people down. Also have a meeting with the lizard people later.
SMUvet
Recruit
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:14 pm

SMUvet wrote:Sorry gotta go work on the “system” to hold people down. Also have a meeting with the lizard people later.


Nice strawman though. Should spend less time on message boards and more time boning up on logic and reasoning. Toss a Scientific Method class in there. I recommend PHYS 3333 at good ol SMU.

If you don't accept the fact that there are systems in place to maintain status quo, not "The System" lmao, then you might as well believe in lizard people because you are separated from reality.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 pm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103115000062

Americans benefit from overestimates of social class mobility because they bolster widely held American ideals of meritocracy and equality of opportunity (Durkheim, 1933, Fiske and Markus, 2012, Weber, 1930). Thus, overestimates of class mobility satisfy the need to believe that the societal status of the self and others is determined fairly and justly.

https://inequality.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/SOTU_2015_economic-mobility.pdf

In Texas, about 9% of children born in the lowest income quintile reach the upper quintile. Rates are much lower throughout the Deep South and much higher in the Midwest. "The strongest predictors of upward mobility are measures of family structure, such as the fraction of single parents in the area. As with race, parents’ marital status does not matter purely through its effects at the individual level. Children of married parents also have higher rates of upward mobility if they live in communities with fewer single parents."
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2474
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby ponyboy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:00 pm

While I think it’s true that a good portion of what goes for progressivism is simply the politics of envy, I believe Malonish is right that there are some barriers to success.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13886
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: New SMU Billionaire

Postby malonish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 pm

ponyboy wrote:While I think it’s true that a good portion of what goes for progressivism is simply the politics of envy, I believe Malonish is right that there are some barriers to success.


Thanks. It can't be done without hard work but hard work isn't the only thing you need to get it done.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

Image
User avatar
malonish
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 am
Location: Nope

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests