PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We have a new Law Dean

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We have a new Law Dean

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:35 am

When we tried to replace Niemi we brought in former Dean of Olin (Wash U STL - perennial top 25 program).

He visited campus, met with faculty, and then pulled out of the search.

He was Al Niemi's pick.

That should say something.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:43 am

Says that the admin tries to go after top talent but the opportunity isn't attractive enough to entice them?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 am

tristatecoog wrote:Says that the admin tries to go after top talent but the opportunity isn't attractive enough to entice them?

Sort of. I actually kind of thought that it was possible that Wash U. Dean only looked at job as favor to Al Niemi though and may not have done so otherwise.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 pm

PonyTime wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Says that the admin tries to go after top talent but the opportunity isn't attractive enough to entice them?

Sort of. I actually kind of thought that it was possible that Wash U. Dean only looked at job as favor to Al Niemi though and may not have done so otherwise.

That’s interesting. Do you have any insights on other candidates? I think someone with a profile as having been Dean of a school like Olin would be perfect given that we have a much larger market in Dallas than a market such as St Louis. Unfortunate that a deanship at a school couldn’t get it done is worrisome, unless that person wanted to go back to being a professor.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 am

https://olin.wustl.edu/EN-US/Faculty-Re ... me=m.gupta

Mahendra Gupta was Olin Dean from 2005-16 and went back to faculty at that time. Maybe didn’t want to leave STL.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby AfricanMustang » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:28 pm

tristatecoog wrote:https://olin.wustl.edu/EN-US/Faculty-Research/Faculty/Pages/FacultyDetail.aspx?username=m.gupta

Mahendra Gupta was Olin Dean from 2005-16 and went back to faculty at that time. Maybe didn’t want to leave STL.

Yep, he has been at WUSTL since July 1990, 32 years, he may not have wanted to leave. If he had taken another deanship (he didn't), that would be another matter altogether...
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop