PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Simmons Achieves Highest Ever U.S. News Ranking

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Simmons Achieves Highest Ever U.S. News Ranking

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:37 pm

SMU’s Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development Breaks into Top 50 of Best Graduate Schools in the United States

DALLAS (SMU) ̶ In six short years the SMU Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development has risen to the rank of 49 in the U.S. News & World Report national rankings. The annual report which ranks 272 participating public and private graduate schools of education around the country was released online on April 25.

The latest ranking represents a significant leap from 105 in 2019 and from 54 in last year’s report. It moves Simmons one spot higher among the top private graduate schools in the U.S. to number 11, up from 12 in the previous year’s report.

In the state, Simmons maintains the number one spot among private universities and is third among all colleges in Texas. Only University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M at College Station, both public universities, have a ranking higher than Simmons.

The school’s rankings have steadily climbed under the leadership of Leon Simmons Endowed Dean Stephanie L. Knight who joined SMU in 2017. She says dedicated research faculty members are significant factors in the school’s continued advancement. “External funding per faculty member is $369,200 which is up from the last report. In fact, funding has risen since 2019 when $143,700 per faculty member was reported. That means our researchers are doing meaningful work to improve education which is perhaps more important now than ever before in our country and world.”

To rank schools of education, U.S. News & World Report considers many factors including research activity, academic quality, faculty resources, student selectivity, doctoral degrees granted, as well as peer assessment scores.

Knight says Simmons will continue to strive for excellence. “We are thrilled to have jumped so significantly in this national ranking. We now continue to assess what we can do to improve learning through our research and will work diligently to further advance and build the reputation of SMU’s Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development.”

https://blog.smu.edu/simmons/general/sm ... ed-states/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: SMU Simmons Achieves Highest Ever U.S. News Ranking

Postby orguy » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:48 pm

Sadly, contributes nothing to our academic profile. Does not Boise Junior College
have a strong Education School? While the Education degree may be popular to
all the Laura Bird types, it contributes next to nothing to the research mission
of most modern Universities that seek AAU status and/or a higher US News National
ranking.
orguy
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:17 pm

The two higher ranked Texas graduate education schools are both AAU and grant funding is very important. The average funding at SMU is skewed by large grants but that may also be the case elsewhere.

If SMU is #11 among all private universities, I know that Columbia and Harvard are two of the top programs. Maybe USC as well?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby orguy » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:44 pm

tristatecoog wrote:The two higher ranked Texas graduate education schools are both AAU and grant funding is very important. The average funding at SMU is skewed by large grants but that may also be the case elsewhere.

If SMU is #11 among all private universities, I know that Columbia and Harvard are two of the top programs. Maybe USC as well?

Schools such as Harvard and Columbia only have Ed schools for
purely polical reasons. A "curriculum" composed of content free
rubbish for academically challenged dim wits.
orguy
All-American

Postby leopold » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:00 pm

Vanderbilt's school of education, Peabody College, is widely considered to be the single best school of education in the world. It was an independent school that happened to be across the street from Vandy when VU bought it for $500,000,000 a dedade or so ago, and it was considered No. 1 in the world even before they joined Vandy. I can't speak for Harvard or Columbia but Peabody is dead serious about educating future teachers.

Great to hear this about Simmons - I have my masters from there. Need to send'em a few bucks.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:17 pm

leopold wrote:Vanderbilt's school of education, Peabody College, is widely considered to be the single best school of education in the world. It was an independent school that happened to be across the street from Vandy when VU bought it for $500,000,000 a dedade or so ago, and it was considered No. 1 in the world even before they joined Vandy. I can't speak for Harvard or Columbia but Peabody is dead serious about educating future teachers.

Great to hear this about Simmons - I have my masters from there. Need to send'em a few bucks.

Nothing more than a way for a C student to make an A. The education degree
is garbage and everyone knows it. So glad the vast majority of my H.S teachers
had degrees in the subjects they taught. The best being my H.S Physics teacher.
It is policy at many academically competitive H.S's to avoid teachers with the
ED degree. Parents are correctly afraid of the lowest common denominator. The
vast majority of ED teachers could not pass Calculus. This point was hammered
home by Edward James Olmos in Stand and Deliver. The greatest and most honest
critique of the teaching "profession" ever put to film.

As for Vandy: as stated, even elite schools have vocational programs. Some of
those programs are worthy unlike the ED degree ( Nursing comes to mind ).
Name dropping Vanderbilt is laughable. If I were you maybe you should keep
that to yourself if you attend alumni functions lest you make an [deleted] out of
yourself.

Simmons long term contributes nothing. Are we chasing Boise State and Arlington
teachers college or do we someday want to be like Tulane or Wake Forest? No elite
school ever became elite by pushing teaching "degrees" or graduate research in
the labyrinth of content free BS that is the graduate ED degree. SMU definitely made
a mistake by reviving the Laura Bird ED degree as it distracts from the mission of
schools that wish to be taken seriously in the world of academia.
orguy
All-American

Postby leopold » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:29 pm

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not that unintelligent, so instead

show me on the dollie where the teacher touched you

leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:18 pm

orguy wrote:
leopold wrote:Vanderbilt's school of education, Peabody College, is widely considered to be the single best school of education in the world. It was an independent school that happened to be across the street from Vandy when VU bought it for $500,000,000 a dedade or so ago, and it was considered No. 1 in the world even before they joined Vandy. I can't speak for Harvard or Columbia but Peabody is dead serious about educating future teachers.

Nothing more than a way for a C student to make an A. The education degree
is garbage and everyone knows it. So glad the vast majority of my H.S teachers
had degrees in the subjects they taught. The best being my H.S Physics teacher.
It is policy at many academically competitive H.S's to avoid teachers with the
ED degree. Parents are correctly afraid of the lowest common denominator. The
vast majority of ED teachers could not pass Calculus. This point was hammered
home by Edward James Olmos in Stand and Deliver. The greatest and most honest
critique of the teaching "profession" ever put to film.

As for Vandy: as stated, even elite schools have vocational programs. Some of
those programs are worthy unlike the ED degree ( Nursing comes to mind ).
Name dropping Vanderbilt is laughable. If I were you maybe you should keep
that to yourself if you attend alumni functions lest you make an [deleted] out of
yourself.

Simmons long term contributes nothing. Are we chasing Boise State and Arlington
teachers college or do we someday want to be like Tulane or Wake Forest? No elite
school ever became elite by pushing teaching "degrees" or graduate research in
the labyrinth of content free BS that is the graduate ED degree. SMU definitely made
a mistake by reviving the Laura Bird ED degree as it distracts from the mission of
schools that wish to be taken seriously in the world of academia.

Simmons contribution to SMU is mainly through expanding our Phd programs which we need desperately, and research. I don't disagree with you that all that is basically bunk - but given our make up of schools we cant get to R-1 without Simmons. We need to dump resources into our engineering, medical oriented Dedman programs and Cox - and shrink Perkins and non medical Dedman. Cox is our Bell cow and we need to give it all the rein possible.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:57 pm

Simmons also provides a path for athletes that want to teach and/or coach after graduation, not that anyone on this board cares about attracting athletes.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby orguy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:12 am

leopold wrote:I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not that unintelligent, so instead

show me on the dollie where the teacher touched you

C level wit from a moron. Deep thoughts from our resident GED level sage.
Keep pretending country boy.
orguy
All-American

Postby leopold » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:46 am

No, I'm serious. We can get you some help.

This is a safe space. We all love and support you.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am

Dr todd Grande! Greetings! So nice to think u have received the psychiatric
help you are in desperate need of. Give my regards to Laura Shrub and all
the other low iq morons your ilk depends on!
orguy
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop