PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

non-football question

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

non-football question

Postby redpony » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:48 pm

sorry for posting this in the fball board I think it has a larger audience than the others so please bear with me.
My granddaughter just started the first grade (second week in school). She lives just outside of Madrid Spain. One of the workbooks she brought home as titled 'algorithms, lines, circles and triangles'
Do any of the posters here have young children that are being taught concepts like that in early grade school? I was surprised. They have already learned the basic math skills- +,=,*, and /.
thanks for any responses. As a neanderthal I didn't have those types of things taught until high school.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: non-football question

Postby bubba pony » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:28 pm

my wife is a retired principal with 40+ years of public school teaching. I asked her to reply:

In simplest terms an algorithm is defined as a procedure used for solving a problem. Lines, circles and triangles would involve shape identification at the beginning of first grade. All would be taught at a level that is appropriate for first graders so, yes it is correct. Children come into school knowing more than we knew because of preschool as well as the breadth of their life experiences. It would follow that they are learning concepts in grades before we might have learned them. (In Spain and in the US)
Great question but not to worry
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby smubrooks » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:17 am

I'm in Switzerland and that is consistent with the curriculum here.
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:12 am

hey all- thanks for the replies
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Around the Hilltop