PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

next year's record prediction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: next year's record prediction

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:56 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
fifty wrote:I thought it was amazing that in the post game presser, Mason said that Deion was quick but probably not fast enough to actually take one to the house. Given the fact that Deion is possibly the fastest guy on this team (if your dad runs 10.2, you're not slow), I found that comment highly amusing.

I could be wrong but I think I read something about deion jr only running like a low 4.6 or something and definitely didn't get his dad's speed

Exactly right, Deion no where near the fastest guy on the team. Once the new staff arrives and does their own evaluations, I doubt we'll have to worry about Jr. pinning us inside our 10 yard line 80% of the time.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:00 pm

footballdad wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:
fifty wrote:I thought it was amazing that in the post game presser, Mason said that Deion was quick but probably not fast enough to actually take one to the house. Given the fact that Deion is possibly the fastest guy on this team (if your dad runs 10.2, you're not slow), I found that comment highly amusing.

I could be wrong but I think I read something about deion jr only running like a low 4.6 or something and definitely didn't get his dad's speed

Exactly right, Deion no where near the fastest guy on the team. Once the new staff arrives and does their own evaluations, I doubt we'll have
to worry about Jr. pinning us inside our 10 yard line 80% of the time.

jr. Should have redshirted. Yet another example of poor roster management for a couple of receptions
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:01 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
jr. Should have redshirted. Yet another example of poor roster management for a couple of receptions

Jr. like most of the team should have never been offered to begin with. Yet another example of awful recruiting.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Deion Sanders is quick not fast-his lack of speed was the reason he lacked offers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 pm

sbsmith wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:

Jr. like most of the team should have never been offered to begin with. Yet another example of awful recruiting.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just saying if your theory is develop them and coach them up, then you should probably. ..what's the word I'm looking for, develop them and coach them up?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 pm

It's also why at some point he could make a pretty good slot receiver. The quick not fast guys are also a better fit a PR than KR, in my opinion. I would probably have him on that team instead. 88 is in the same boat, I think. The fast guys are Walker, Durall, JR Richardson. Those are the guys I want on my KR team.

We have no idea who is going to transfer out, so really impossible to give a prediction of anything at this point.
JasonB

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just saying if your theory is develop them and coach them up, then you should probably. ..what's the word I'm looking for, develop them and coach them up?

Good point but one thing a lot of people missed is that aside from his obvious recruiting ineptitude June's coaching and development skills had been declining over the past few seasons.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Deion can barely get on the field now with a weak receiving corp.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 pm

sbsmith wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:

Not even an example of awful recruiting, this was simply a June Jones / Deion Sr. relationship scholarship. Doubt the staff even 'evaluated' Jr's film in this case. Just look at this staff, June takes care of his friends and cronies.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:02 pm

I wish I would have been one of JJ's "friends" while he was coaching.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:34 pm

At least deion runs hard. Our other returners try to jog back kicks. Deion and Davis are the only players that look like they have the ability to gain more than 10yards on any given play.
This makes me sad.
fifty
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 pm

fifty wrote:At least deion runs hard. Our other returners try to jog back kicks. Deion and Davis are the only players that look like they have the ability to gain more than 10yards on any given play.
This makes me sad.

Nonsense, Stafford consistently brought the ball out to the 25 and is obviously a tough nosed special teams kid, much like Miller. June and his cronies, particularly Phillips, just wanted to keep giving his various 5"8" slot recruits, opportunities to take their own shot, mostly with horrible results.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Kick returners need to be aggressive and fast. Being tough and running grandma-pace doesn't help much.
fifty
Heisman

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 am

I would say if SMU gets two wins next year the coach (whoever that is) will have done a good job. Whoever the coach is will inherit a team with absolutely no talent and should piece together a team of 1st year JUCOs.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:52 am

3-9 if we catch a few breaks.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

PreviousNext

Return to Football