PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

10 Observations From Practice Yesterday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

10 Observations From Practice Yesterday

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 am

1) Practice is going to be an event under this coaching staff. There is an energy and passion that is palpable from the moment the players get on the field. It's more than just the live DJ its the overall vibe of practice.

2) We might not be overly talented, but these kids will be in outstanding physical condition. Players are expected to be engaged in some form of activity at all times. What a contrast from the start/stop of the June Jones era.

3) Courtland Sutton is going to be my pick for breakout player next season. He's a good 6'4 or 6'5 and easily 220 pounds with really good hands. He was a real physical presence on the field and has the look of a guy that could be a really outstanding player.

4) Ben Hicks will be our starting QB by midseason. He has a big time arm and fit the ball into some tight windows. The kid doesn't look like a true freshmen trying to figure things out in his head. He's decisive with the football and it gets there in a hurry.

5) I'm not sure what to make of Daniel Gresham. You can definitely see the talent but it seems like the coaches are still trying to figure out just how to use him. There were a few formations where was a fullback and others where he was playing the H Back spot. Either way he's got the kind of ability we need on the field and he'll certainly be a big part of the offense next year.

6) Zelt Minor is going to be a force at DT and looks like he's found his passion for football. The new staff seems to have really lit a fire under him.

7) The freshmen wideouts can't get here fast enough. Castille, Thomas, Proche, and Honey will all be instant contributors. Other than Sutton and Gaines I wasn't very impressed with any of the returning receivers. Rhyheem Malone has a good burst and Shelby Walker has some nice skill but neither are separating themselves from the pack.

8 Shaq Randolph looks the part as well. Really impressive athlete that can cover some ground in a hurry.

9) Had a great time! I saw an old high school coach of mine who now is the head coach of a major DFW program that said it was his first time being invited to SMU in his coaching career. He couldn't stop raving about how these coaches are going out of their way to make the HS coaches feel important and feel like they have ownership in the development of the SMU program. There were probably 50-75 coaches watching practice.

10) Don't expect too much in year one. There is no question the arrow is pointed way, way up but we are going to be physically overmatched up front. I think we'll get better as the year goes on but I think the early part of the season is going to be tough. If we can get a couple of wins against JMU and UNT then we'll be headed in the right direction and I can see us getting to 4 or 5 wins.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 10 Observations From Practice Yesterday

Postby Top Twenty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:32 am

I was there as well, and agree with almost every bit of this...especially as to Sutton and Randolph. (Frankly, we haven't had a guy quite like Sutton...think along the lines of a Plaxico Burress.) I do believe, however, that Matt Davis will be The Man. The physical nature of this group will be a welcomed change, and the team overall, especially the linemen, is in far, far better shape. We just look different...and act differently. Also, the coaching intensity is really something to see. Bottom line, if you were looking for big, big changes, you just got them.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:46 am

4) Ben Hicks will be our starting QB by midseason. He has a big time arm and fit the ball into some tight windows. The kid doesn't look like a true freshmen trying to figure things out in his head. He's decisive with the football and it gets there in a hurry.

So the. How would you compare Davis to hicks? As much as you can with both being different types of qbs, at least. What shortcomings does Davis have that may cost him the starting job by mid season
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 am

I'm just not sure Davis is ever going to get that deer in the headlights element out of his game. He's a tremendous athlete and we need to find a way to get him on the field, but as an every down QB I just don't think he's processing information fast enough. I do think we need to have some wildcat type packages for him.

The one big positive takeaway from practice yesterday was Courtland Sutton. That kid is oozing talent. If we can run out a four WR set of Sutton, Gaines, Thomas, and Castille that's going to be quite a handful for teams to defend.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 am

Great to hear coaches feeling welcome
GiddyUp

Postby ojaipony » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks for sharing SMT!

I like your sharing the excitement but also tempering expectations because I need that. I think my expectations are starting to get too high (ie bowl game in year 1). I'll be at the spring game for sure.
ojaipony

Postby TidePony » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 am

This sounds like good news
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 am

The OL is transitioning to a completely different scheme. It will be interesting to watch how much they improve by the time we get to the spring game.
JasonB

Postby TidePony » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Do we know the actual time of the Spring Game?
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 pm

TidePony wrote:Do we know the actual time of the Spring Game?

1 pm.

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031715aaa.html

March 21 - Media & Fans - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
March 28 - Media & Fans - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
April 11 - Media & Fans - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
April 18 - Spring Game - Media & Fans - 1 - 3 p.m.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I'm just not sure Davis is ever going to get that deer in the headlights element out of his game. He's a tremendous athlete and we need to find a way to get him on the field, but as an every down QB I just don't think he's processing information fast enough. I do think we need to have some wildcat type packages for him.

I can definitely see that being true but at the same time I'm gonna hold off until he gets a little more experience in this system. I think by the end of week 2 we should have a good idea if Davis can play qb in this offense. Did offense run much designed qb runs from what you saw, and if so how did it look? I'm very interested in playing to that strength with Davis this upcoming season.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm

At Clemson, Taj Boyd were fairly accurate and extremely mobile. Does Hicks have the wheels to move the chains? The run threat reduces the need for pinpoint accuracy.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby lwjr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Does anyone know when the team practices on Wednesday and Thursday
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks SMT, defense and receivers (especially the incoming freshman could be really good. Glad to see the report because the defense, offense, and special teams are all learning a new system and it is good to know how they are doing. Despite the lack of talent on the offensive line I believe Coach Fry will be a much better coach to them than Coach Suan. Also, if the incoming freshman offensive lineman are decent they may even get a chance to play significant minutes if they do well.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Fry better than Suan? no way!! (sarcasm off)
gostangs

Next

Return to Football