PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Home and Home

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU Home and Home

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 pm

FroggieFever wrote:TCU is in the Big 12, has a fresh head coach in Trent Johnson, is undergoing a $72,500,000 renovation to Daniel Meyer Coliseum and is SMU's natural cross-town rival.

Using some of the logic found in this thread, TCU should drop SMU in football.

Agreed, you should drop us in football until we actually help you get into the playoff. By fresh head coach do you mean mostly unsuccessful retread?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm

We should play TCU but we never should have agreed to play them at their new place before they come to ours.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:45 pm

CalallenStang wrote:We should play TCU but we never should have agreed to play them at their new place before they come to ours.

This I agree, they should have come to Moody first.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:We should play TCU but we never should have agreed to play them at their new place before they come to ours.

agreed, it's a freakin joke. We get them on a neutral floor, they avoid us in their hs gym and now we go there? Screw that
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:And I would love to play SDSU or USC or Stanford, I just don't think playing TCU keeps us from scheduling these types of matchups. If so, please enlighten me.

Well, you only get so many OOC chances and between TCU, that crap LV tourney, Yale and the obvious cupcakes, we had better load up w/what's remaining

Hoop has a point here, do we know any other opponents b/c that Vegas tournament does blow. Which games will replace Ark, Wyoming, IU? Eastern Wash was good. UCSB almost beat us.
GiddyUp

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 pm

If they wanted to duck us in basketball last year, whatever. That's on them. It's embarrassing for their program to duck a historical rival like SMU in any year, but they've won like six conference games in three years so I guess it's not the most embarrassign thing associated with their basketball program right now.

I was scared to death Trent Johnson was going to get the ASU job and TCU was going to get Brad Underwood -- he would've been a stellar hire for them
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Have we ever played ND in hoops?

5 times, last in 1990.

1-4 against em.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

agreed, it's a freakin joke. We get them on a neutral floor, they avoid us in their hs gym and now we go there? Screw that

I agree, but TCU ain't no Moody. I'm sure we will have 50% of the fans in the building if not more
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 am

Pony ^ wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:[quote="CalallenStang"]We should play TCU but we never should have agreed to play them at their new place before they come to ours.

I agree, but TCU ain't no Moody. I'm sure we will have 50% of the fans in the building if not more[/quote]

Doubtful, they will have a brand new facility and interest is growing over there
smupony94

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
Zman89 wrote:I say schedule Notre Dame so that Nic can have a true homecoming. I.U. was not a homecoming.

I would love that. Have we ever played ND in hoops?

Kato accomplished something Nic hasn't......yet

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-03-18/sports/8803010767_1_irish-coach-digger-phelps-smu-gary-voce

Given a choice between any ACC team or TCU, I'd take the ACC, I think it's better for our program. Same can be said for most PAC12 schools.
SoCal_Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:18 pm

The complaints about TCU are shortsighted:

1. Rivalries are important to build and maintain interest in a program (does anyone see fans getting excited about an SDSU or No IL in a year when they aren't nationally ranked).

2. We need TCU in football more than they need us in basketball.

3. I cut them slack for last year because they were playing in a high school gym.

4. OOC schedules are a mix of RPI enhancers and tune-up games to evaluate talent and combinations.

5. We are a victim of our own success, with teams wanting to avoid Moody Madness, so anytime you can put a P5 conference team on your schedule as one of your tune-up games it is a good thing.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:01 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:The complaints about TCU are shortsighted:

1. Rivalries are important to build and maintain interest in a program (does anyone see fans getting excited about an SDSU or No IL in a year when they aren't nationally ranked).

3. I cut them slack for last year because they were playing in a high school gym.

4. OOC schedules are a mix of RPI enhancers and tune-up games to evaluate talent and combinations.

5. We are a victim of our own success, with teams wanting to avoid Moody Madness, so anytime you can put a P5 conference team on your schedule as one of your tune-up games it is a good thing.

1) Interest in the program is all about playing nationally prominent programs and winning, which has nothing to do w/TCU.

2) Don't care

3)Nope. Maryland wont play Georgetown b/c Maryland played on their floor in 1993 when Maryland was no one and Georrgetown was a national power. Maryland won, Gtown never played on Maryland home floor. Many outside parties and internal folks have tried to put the game on the schedule, but Maryland will only play if Gtown comes to Maryland first cause they are owed that home game. I agree w/them. I have no interest in scheduling programs w/sand in their vajayjay

4) Absolutely. So long as TCU is considered a tune-up and not a real OOC measuring stick, cool.

5) Screw Moody, play like Tark. Go anywhere and beat them in their house.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:08 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:The complaints about TCU are shortsighted:

1) Interest in the program is all about playing nationally prominent programs and winning, which has nothing to do w/TCU.

2) Don't care

3)Nope. Maryland wont play Georgetown b/c Maryland played on their floor in 1993 when Maryland was no one and Georrgetown was a national power. Maryland won, Gtown never played on Maryland home floor. Many outside parties and internal folks have tried to put the game on the schedule, but Maryland will only play if Gtown comes to Maryland first cause they are owed that home game. I agree w/them. I have no interest in scheduling programs w/sand in their vajayjay

4) Absolutely. So long as TCU is considered a tune-up and not a real OOC measuring stick, cool.

5) Screw Moody, play like Tark. Go anywhere and beat them in their house.

1) Won't always win, so keep some traditional rivalries.

2) Do care, if for no other reason than the Frogs fill Ford and bring in needed $ to the Athletic Department. Will also help football RPI.

3) O.K.

4) I do see them as a tune-up school this year (and an inexpensive road trip).

5) Play a few games anywhere, but you need a good schedule at Moody to generate the seat license revenue to fund a winning program.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 am

1) There are no traditional rivalries anymore, just games that help the program achieve greater heights. Blame realignment

2) I'm not a fball guy, but enjoy the sport. I have a hard time see us EVER being a Top 25 program, so I see no reason to hurt our bread and butter, to help build a dormant revenue that may never amount to anything. Capitalize on what's working, dump money there.

4) They aren't a tune up, they have real talent. They also do nothing for us if we win, but is horrible loss if we lose. It's a no win situation

5) Problem is, doesn't seem like most want to come to Moody. Its far too small/volatile and we're far too good for most profile programs to take that on. The fact we have Michigan and Gonzaga coming in is stunning
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 am

I'm from the old SWC days and so I want to play all these fools and blast them in both sports anywhere we can play them and ESPECIALLY just down right curb stomp their [deleted]/embarrass them completely at Moody/Ford. I'm talking specially Baylor, TCU, and Texas. We need to think "Duke" re our bball program and "Notre Dame" with our football program. Now, I hate both schools but I'm talking reputation. THAT's what I want people to think about when they think of my alma mater's sports programs. Is it realistic? Maybe not, but that should be the goal. We were once that ambitious (harvard crimson and yale blue remember). Maybe we rotate them in for the [deleted] whippings - BU one year, Texas the next etc. And I agree that we need to be thinking in terms of a national program BEYOND just these regional rivalries so I don't want to get too caught up in it, but one of them each year would be good.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball