PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happened to our Fans? Where were the Students?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What happened to our Fans? Where were the Students?

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:04 am

I have a hard time understanding why if you are an SMU student, alum or lettermen that is a football fan and you are in Dallas with no other truly important obligations (i.e. work or kid's activity commitments) not to come out and enjoy your alma mater's football game on a beautiful facility with a much improved game presentation, including the sale of alcohol.

I tuned in from a different continent in the middle of the night via a shady website and watched the whole game. Why because I love SMU and I am a football fan and believe whether you lose or win the team and our program deserves your commitment. Its a two way street. This is as much an indictment on our instant gratification society (especially those in the upper third of the socio-economic class) as it is on just our students/alums I guess though. Better just figure out how to win by season 3 so we get all of the band-wagonners on board like in basketball.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 am

Students turnout was not near as bad as the normal fan turnout. The students only get 2 lower sections. What about the low regular fan turnout, that's the problem. Get off the students backs.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:21 am

Sanctions on your hoops program hurt the "come and get points for the mob" incentive when right now your hoops team isnt allowed in the postseason. This current generation of students (last 4-5 years of graduates) is really into hoops and the whole LB era. I wouldn't be surprised if the gut punch from Tuesday carried into yesterday. I was surprised at how poorly attended the student side of the Blvd was but things like ACL and other games on TV may have contributed to it? Id imagine a better turnout on Halloween barring the 11 am start
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:26 am

By all means keep putting FCS on the schedule. Obviously exciting games against them will pump up our fan base.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:24 pm

smuhype wrote:Please tell me our progress in this area isn't over????

1) Couldn't have been prouder of the students thus far and then yesterday???
2) Did devastating Death Penalty news from this week kill the fever for SMU?
3) Homecoming just last week?
4) 3:00 start?

I simply don't get it --- Chad Morris may be wondering what the hell he got into...

1) losing to JMU happened and when the DMN writes "SMU has embarrassing loss to FCS team it demoralizes people regardless if JMU could beat UT right now.
2) it sure didn't help but I think 1 was more of a reason
3) don't think homecoming matter except we lost again
4) I think night games attract people more but it's better than 11.

At the end of the day losing to JMU really knocked the wind out of our sails.
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Stallion wrote:I'm looking forward to you being formerfootballdad

Haha, why you mad? You agree our fans suck as well, and you've provided statistics to back it up.

And you're a TCU lover on top of it, but everyone hates me???? :?

Oh, and please tell everyone how much you love Turpin again? We didn't hear you the first 10 times. :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:01 pm

6 TDs in 13 touches in the passing game. you're right I was right on top of that one

I have zero affilation with TCU-one of the few schools in Texas I have no affiliation with. In fact, if I have a second team it was the team Turpin scored 4 TDs on- UT as my Dad was President of the Texas Exes in Dallas and I grew up going to at least 1-2 Texas games a year. I missed one SMU home game in 50 years when my car slide into a curb in icy conditions. You won't be here after you son loses his scholarship. You aren't really an SMU fan at all
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Stallion wrote:6 TDs in 13 touches in the passing game. you're right I was right on top of that one

Please tell us more about TCU. How's their recruiting going? Tell us about Boykin & Doctson stats yesterday. What's up with Tuaua playing again? How great of a job is Gary doing?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:15 pm

I talk about every team in Texas especially teams on our schedule because I actually love college football. What do you want to know?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Stallion wrote:I talk about every team in Texas especially teams on our schedule because I actually love college football. What do you want to know?

Why is Tuaua back playing already? He actually did what he was accused of, the victim just didn't follow thru with the charges because of the distractions his senior year.

Gary all about shoring up that leaky D, not about doing the right thing......correct?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Oh my god I can't read what you say

One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Football Blog » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:51 pm

I thought about asking the 2 alumni band members walking to their cars as I was walking to the boulevard ON MY WAY TO THE GAME.

WTF?

I left 1 minute into the 4th quarter. My kid was tired and bored. I was tired of being the only person in my section that appeared to want my team to win the game.

I am sick of being the only person that attempts to make noise on my row, if not my entire section.

I am also sick of the general negativity of seemingly everybody around me.

I appreciate everybody that did come to the game, but at the same time, why does nobody there want to act like they are at a football game?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:16 pm

03Mustang wrote:It's not just the students, it's on everyone. The post-DP generation in general is the biggest problem.... They've never had a good reason to care and take it seriously so they don't.

We have to win before anything changes. Consistent winning against teams people care about, not 6 win seasons over no names.

I don't blame the students for yesterday and I don't think Morris does either. Tough game to watch on a beautiful Saturday in Dallas. I think things will improve in the next couple of years on that front.

You aren't going to find a single student who enrolled at SMU post DP because they looked forward to football Saturdays. And yes, the break up of the SWC has probably done as much harm to attendance as our losing. I give the Athletic Department credit for scheduling some of the old SWC opponents to play at Ford despite the fact that we have not been competitive with them. At least they buy tickets and our fans tend to show up to see us play teams with which they are familiar.

Also consider, the Rangers, UT, TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech were all playing games within 35 minutes of our campus at the same time as our game. What unaffiliated fan wants to walk up to Ford to see ECU given that competition? Jerry World has not been our friend.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Now FBD is on Stallion's [deleted]!? I may have had my differences with Stallion in the past, but I always respected his coverage of the sport and the fact that he was pointing out that it CAN be done. Not unreasonable when you cheer for a team trying to find the path.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:49 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:I thought about asking the 2 alumni band members walking to their cars as I was walking to the boulevard ON MY WAY TO THE GAME.

WTF?

I left 1 minute into the 4th quarter. My kid was tired and bored. I was tired of being the only person in my section that appeared to want my team to win the game.

I am sick of being the only person that attempts to make noise on my row, if not my entire section.

I am also sick of the general negativity of seemingly everybody around me.

I appreciate everybody that did come to the game, but at the same time, why does nobody there want to act like they are at a football game?

SFB, shoot me a note next year and we can find seats in the same section. At least there would be two yelling [deleted].
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football