PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Should the AAC invite TCU and Tech to Join?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Should the AAC invite TCU and Tech to Join?

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:26 pm

03Mustang wrote:No way we get in

Shhhhh......don't kill their fantasy.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 pm

footballdad wrote:
03Mustang wrote:No way we get in

Shhhhh......don't kill their fantasy.

We are already in the AAC!
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:46 pm

G5 inviting P5's to join... Power move
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:G5 inviting P5's to join... Power move

Maybe Iowa State would consider it in the final days of the B12...if it implodes, their best option is probably the MWC, more likely the MAC
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Stallion wrote:Bigger fish always eats the smaller fish BECAUSE the bigger conference has existing TV/Bowl Contracts and basketball Tournament credits in the Bank

Ehhhh...
I know that's generally the rule, but if this were to happen - if UT, OU, and two (or possibly more) other schools leave - then I have to believe any TV contract is going to be trashed. Similar to the four schools leaving the SWC and the four remaining schools scrambling to find homes, I don't know if there would be enough juice left in Baylor, Tech, iowa State, West Virginia and such to retain the existing contracts.
Besides, I've said before and I'll say it again, if UT and/or OU leave the first response of the remaining schools going to be to get out, not make it work.

sbsmith wrote:We won't get in if TCU is still there.

The next round of expansion for the Big XII isn't about more money, it's going to be about salvaging the conference - basic survival. If we were able to help the Big XII work for a few more years, then TCU will open the door for us and smile, just like UT, Baylor and Tech did for the Frogs when they joined.
They real question is whether we make the Big XII a stronger conference, not institutional rivalries, and unfortunately I don't belive we do just yet.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:54 am

leopold wrote:
The next round of expansion for the Big XII isn't about more money, it's going to be about salvaging the conference - basic survival. If we were able to help the Big XII work for a few more years, then TCU will open the door for us and smile, just like UT, Baylor and Tech did for the Frogs when they joined.
They real question is whether we make the Big XII a stronger conference, not institutional rivalries, and unfortunately I don't belive we do just yet.

We'd have to be worth a lot for it to happen. The more likely scenario is that they avoid double dipping and go after entirely new markets.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 am

Pony Boss wrote:Big 12 poaches SMU, UH, USF, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati and UConn, then AAC would poach CUSA and get Rice, NTSU, FAU, FIU, Middle Tennessee, western kentucky and Marshall...oh and Wichita State.

That would leave the conference at 13 teams. I think Temple would be invited as well to get to 14 teams. Solid football conference and power conference in hoops.

SMU
TCU
Houston
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCONN
Temple
Memphis
UCF
USF
mustangxc

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:54 am

sbsmith wrote:
leopold wrote:

We'd have to be worth a lot for it to happen. The more likely scenario is that they avoid double dipping and go after entirely new markets.

While the B12 might survive losing Texas or OU, they won't survive losing both. The Big 12 is made up of 2 "Big" programs (3 if you count KU basketball) and a bunch of smaller schools with limited national exposure. Can you imagine the TV package for KSU, ISU, TT, OSU, BU, and TCU?

- Even if they picked off the "best" of the AAC, would that really improve things?
- In contrast, the AAC could probably improve by adding TCU/BU (Lots of games in the DFW TV market), OSU and KSU (Basketball).

The only way the B12 survives is if the "Best" of the AAC decide the easiest way to eject to worst of the AAC is to move as group to the B12.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:59 am

Digetydog wrote:
The only way the B12 survives is if the "Best" of the AAC decide the easiest way to eject to worst of the AAC is to move as group to the B12.

That's what will happen.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Pony81 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:38 am

If U leaves then OU will leave. And vice versa. An article I recently read opined that the real reason ESPN created LHN to the tune of $20mm / year was to keep UT from bolting to the Big 10 in 2011 when Missouri and A&M went to the SEC. ESPN doesn't control the media rights to the Big 10 so they rightfully saw their Big 12 contract being destroyed and attendant loss of value.

So, WHEN UT leaves - my guess for PAC12 - in 2024 (when Big 12 GOR expires) then ESPN will be the one pulling the strings as to who comprises the new Big 12. It'll be the best of the rest in the eyes of ESPN. Given travel costs I absolutely see SMU being grouped with TCU, UH, BU in the "new Big 12". I think travel costs for non rev sports is a big reason TCU was included in the Big 12 and not Pitt / UL.

Sure BU and TCU will try to go to the ACC but the ACC is full and don't want to deal with the all the BS that comes with State of Texas football.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Digetydog wrote:

If we leave for the B12 where does that leave Tulane?
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:08 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

If we leave for the B12 where does that leave Tulane?

Passed out drunk on Bourbon Street.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Pony81 wrote:If U leaves then OU will leave. And vice versa. An article I recently read opined that the real reason ESPN created LHN to the tune of $20mm / year was to keep UT from bolting to the Big 10 in 2011 when Missouri and A&M went to the SEC. ESPN doesn't control the media rights to the Big 10 so they rightfully saw their Big 12 contract being destroyed and attendant loss of value.

So, WHEN UT leaves - my guess for PAC12 - in 2024 (when Big 12 GOR expires) then ESPN will be the one pulling the strings as to who comprises the new Big 12. It'll be the best of the rest in the eyes of ESPN. Given travel costs I absolutely see SMU being grouped with TCU, UH, BU in the "new Big 12". I think travel costs for non rev sports is a big reason TCU was included in the Big 12 and not Pitt / UL.

Sure BU and TCU will try to go to the ACC but the ACC is full and don't want to deal with the all the BS that comes with State of Texas football.

Another thing to consider that no one talks about- is football still this popular in 8-10 years? With concussions and deaths and parents not letting their kids play, that's eventually going to have ramifications. The quality of your basketball program might matter a little more then than it does now
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Everyone agrees at this point that the next big shift happens in 2024.

You know what that means - something entirely different will happen.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Pony81 has got the right idea.

Its network control of various regions of the Country and competition between the networks in those competitive markets which control expansion. Market control equals higher ratings. Network are seeking market share for their programs. Its much more a competition between networks than between conferences
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football