PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU basketball Preview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU basketball Preview

Postby indianmustang » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU basketball Preview

Postby TidePony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 pm

I was talking to a delusional Memphis fan tonight at the Bama/Arkansas game and he told me he was sure SMU will be in the bottom of the AAC record wise this year. I just laughed and said, we'll see.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:47 am

Shoulda ask him what kinda season Austin Nichols will have, and how Dedric Lawson, the most overrated player in the nation, will do this year.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:40 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Shoulda ask him what kinda season Austin Nichols will have, and how Dedric Lawson, the most overrated player in the nation, will do this year.

I cant wait for Virginia- Ga Tech.

On the other hand i think Lawson is for real. And now he has someone who might actually coach him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:03 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Shoulda ask him what kinda season Austin Nichols will have, and how Dedric Lawson, the most overrated player in the nation, will do this year.

I cant wait for Virginia- Ga Tech.

On the other hand i think Lawson is for real. And now he has someone who might actually coach him.

He's for real, but he's also surrounded by mostly DITRs. He could be dragging by tournament time. Next, if he stays, Memphis will be an elite teams once again.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:02 pm

smupony94

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:20 pm

If WE can't wait..... can you imagine how Semi must feel?

I respect him for the amazing patience he's demonstrated.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:22 am

We have good spot shooters this year, but lack a dominant post presence. One of the big things that helped last year in our offensive efficiency was the ability of Nic to dribble penetrate and Ben and Sterling's mid-range game that allowed us to take advantage of soft spots when the other team stretched the defense.

IMHO, the keys to the season are the ability of Semi and Froling to not only be effective scorers down low, but to be able to pass the ball to create offense. Otherwise, Shake, Gu, McDowell will have to be able to dribble penetrate in order to get flow in the offensive game.

A lot of me feels like this team is really going to surprise with how good it is.

However, there is part of me that really worries that Brown left because he didn't want to coach this team because he sees more individuals and less sharing of the ball.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:08 pm

JasonB wrote:We have good spot shooters this year, but lack a dominant post presence. One of the big things that helped last year in our offensive efficiency was the ability of Nic to dribble penetrate and Ben and Sterling's mid-range game that allowed us to take advantage of soft spots when the other team stretched the defense.

IMHO, the keys to the season are the ability of Semi and Froling to not only be effective scorers down low, but to be able to pass the ball to create offense. Otherwise, Shake, Gu, McDowell will have to be able to dribble penetrate in order to get flow in the offensive game.

A lot of me feels like this team is really going to surprise with how good it is.

However, there is part of me that really worries that Brown left because he didn't want to coach this team because he sees more individuals and less sharing of the ball.

Respectfully, I don't see how theory about LB's departure holds any water. Markus and Jordan were both very good interior passers and rebounders and that was a huge part of our game. But penetrating and either interior passing and/or kicking are both team skills. We may not be quite as good on the inside but frankly with improved three point production we may not have to dominate the boards like last year. But I still think we get a ton of boards..... just distributed more broadly. Both Ben and Sterling had double digit rebound games last year.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

I know I might be banned for this, but I have a feeling that by mid January Shake is going to make us forget about Nic. His size, speed and composure are amazing.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

SMU basketball Preview

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Nope, you're likely right. Shake's going to grow immensely as the season goes along - as Avery Johnson says, "buckle up" this is about to take off!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Nobody is going to make us forget about Nic any time soon
Charleston Pony

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Nic's a legend - period.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:36 pm

TidePony wrote:Nic's a legend - period.

Can't wait to see his jersey hanging in the rafters at Moody.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:30 pm

PonySnob wrote:
TidePony wrote:Nic's a legend - period.

Can't wait to see his jersey hanging in the rafters at Moody.

Yes, being a 2-time POY should earn you this honor. Now if you are a 3-time POY (Gene Phillips), well that's a problem.

I've said this many times, I had season tickets during the GP, IT and Koncak years. How JK leapfrogged both GP & IT is beyond me.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Basketball