PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Froling - will be a solid player for us. I'm not worried about him and think he's got a high ceiling

Carsen Edwards- point guard - Larry wouldn't take his commitment. Averaging 11ppg as a freshman for Purdue. Whoops!

Eric Curry - 6'9" 235 PF - Larry didn't want this one either - averaging 7ppg and 7 boards as a freshman for Minnesota. Whoops!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Kapita is playing well for N. C. State. You seem to be trying to blame all this on Coach Brown but Jank and the others were recruiters as well. The 2017 class better be impact worthy or we will not get any better.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Kapita is playing well for N. C. State. You seem to be trying to blame all this on Coach Brown but Jank and the others were recruiters as well.

I understand why we didn't take Kapita...he was an academic mess with eligibility issues from his "pro" career and other off-the-court concerns. Given our scholarship constraints I think it was prudent not to take a chance on him

KT had Curry all lined up...LB cancelled his visit. That's on LB. Not sure who was on Carsen but LB didn't want his commitment either
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 pm

I am just saying that I can see why Coach Brown wanted. He is better than Froling. He is eligible and playing well for N. C. State. What do you think about the 2017 class?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:30 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Froling - will be a solid player for us. I'm not worried about him and think he's got a high ceiling

Carsen Edwards- point guard - Larry wouldn't take his commitment. Averaging 11ppg as a freshman for Purdue. Whoops!

Eric Curry - 6'9" 235 PF - Larry didn't want this one either - averaging 7ppg and 7 boards as a freshman for Minnesota. Whoops!

Don't remind me... Also, wish we had pulled Charlie Moore last minute. Averaging 20PPG at Cal. Can't believe we didnt take Curry or Edwards, but would take McDowell. I like McDowell, but not near as talented as those two.

I wanna hear ECM take on 2017 class. My take is William Douglas could be a special player. Ethan Chargois is another Harry Froling. Everett Ray is a good rebounder and defender, likely a bench big with some upside, and Elijah Landrum will be a good change of pace PG.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I am just saying that I can se why Coach Brown wanted. He is eligible and playing well for N. C. State. What do you think about the 2017 class?

Chargois reminds of a smaller Froling...he'll need a year to get in shape to really contribute. No idea about Everett Ray...he wasnt exactly heavily recruited. Before this year I would've said Landrum would make a nice change of pace PG as a spot contributor off the bench, but now that we have no PG he may need to contribute more early. William Douglas will be a player, he reminds me a bit of Sterling

I'm most excited to see what Jimmy Whitt can do. He will be the biggest addition to this team next year. If he can take some pressure off Shake and let him operate off the ball that would be huge for us
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32 pm

I think some were saying Because Wilson was the point guard in Australia he would do well from day one here. But that has not happened as of yet.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I am just saying that I can se why Coach Brown wanted. He is eligible and playing well for N. C. State. What do you think about the 2017 class?

Chargois reminds of a smaller Froling...he'll need a year to get in shape to really contribute. No idea about Everett Ray...he wasnt exactly heavily recruited. Before this year I would've said Landrum would make a nice change of pace PG as a spot contributor off the bench, but now that we have no PG he may need to contribute more early. William Douglas will be a player, he reminds me a bit of Sterling

I'm most excited to see what Jimmy Whitt can do. He will be the biggest addition to this team next year. If he can take some pressure off Shake and let him operate off the ball that would be huge for us

Agreed, especailly on the Jimmy Whitt part. Could be a big time player. I expect all 3 guards to pass up McDowell and Wilson, unless they make big strides. Douglas and Whitt are more talented and Landrum is a need as a true PG. I wish we had added a true 6'9 plus Big man to go with Chargois. Ray has some nice film and could be a player, but would have liked us to wait and try to get a bigger fish or a JuCo rim protector.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

Agreed, especailly on the Jimmy Whitt part. Could be a big time player. I expect all 3 guards to pass up McDowell and Wilson, unless they make big strides. Douglas and Whitt are more talented and Landrum is a need as a true PG. I wish we had added a true 6'9 plus Big man to go with Chargois. Ray has some nice film and could be a player, but would have liked us to wait and try to get a bigger fish or a JuCo rim protector.

Spoke to a friend who's a HS coach in the area about Ray...he said he could be a good player for us but has only recently blossomed...but also said when you need bigs you take them when you can. 6-11 rim protectors arent exactly a dime a dozen
East Coast Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 pm

Larry passing on Carsen and Curry while taking Wilson and Dashawn is mind numbing.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:40 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Larry passing on Carsen and Curry while taking Wilson and Dashawn is mind numbing.

I legitimately lose sleep over it
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:41 pm

Whitt is a nice player but is working on improving his jumper. We will be a a shorter team next year. Douglas is players with a scoring reputation.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:43 pm

I agree ECM they aren't a dime a dozen, I would have settled for a 6'9 really good physical big. I understand why we took Ray and Chargois, because we needed bigs and they both have upside just wish we had waited a little longer to take Ray and maybe kept looking. I also heard Ray looks much improved, stronger, good on D, and the glass.

HoopManX what is your take on the 4 commits and Jimmy Whitt and what their impact could be?
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Whitt is a nice player but is working on improving his jumper. We will be a a shorter team next year. Douglas is players with a scoring reputation.

Not that short if we go...

Froling 6-11
Semi 6-7
Jarrey 6-6
Shake 6-6
Whitt 6-3
East Coast Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Yeah lets blame this cluster on Larry.... lol