PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Froling

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Froling

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:58 am

ready4abowl wrote:Had I shown up to SMU as a scholarship freshman out of shape, I think my coach might have punched me in the face. My teammates certainly would have. But the 6 hours a day of training in August would have gotten me in shape right quick. Certainly would not have been "husky" come first game. But I guess times have changed.

In fairness, he did have a foot injury that might have occurred from trying to run (to the cafeteria and back) too much.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 am

As for Wilson... I hope he bails after the season. Even if he improves I don't see him being more than end of bench next year. Subtract Sterling but add Whitt, Douglas and Landrum. No minutes for a guy who MIGHT hit a three once in awhile.

Sorry mate....We could use your scholarship.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 am

Ah, come on . . .lay off the kid (Froling). This thread is getting downright nasty. He's gone. Let's move on.

As for Tom Wilson, I'm rooting for him. I was at Moody last night and it's clear from his limited minutes and how he performed when in the game that he has a way to go. But if he buys in, works hard, and is a team player, I think he will do well here. I hope he stays and graduates.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 am

I don't get it. A year ago we are chanting, yelling and screaming for Harry. He gives us his commitment and comes to big D. Then LB turns his back on everyone he recruited and leaves. Harry comes and for whatever' reason (minutes, role, talent, homesick) it doesn't work out. Instead of saying "thank you", a good portion of us, hiding behind screen names and a computer, attack an 18 year old kid. WTH?

That should really help us with recruiting.....
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:32 am

Oh come on-the guy bailed after a couple months for selfish reasons-and arguably put SMU into a real bind on available players. He came here physically out of shape too. You said it-"the guy gave us his COMMITMENT" -No-no he didn't. The guy has earned the criticism. It is fair, justified criticism too-he certainly didn't earn any more from SMU or SMU fans than he got.
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smusportspage » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am

According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, Froling is looking at Oregon St and Dayton as possibilities.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:39 am

smusportspage wrote:According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, Froling is looking at Oregon St and Dayton as possibilities.

So Oregon State is 3-9 so they can use him
smupony94

Postby whitwiki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Guys don't run Wilson off. Every good team ever has the skinny white guy who rains threes and does nothing else. Wait till he's a senior. Wilson can be that guy!
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:49 pm

whitwiki wrote:Guys don't run Wilson off. Every good team ever has the skinny white guy who rains threes and does nothing else. Wait till he's a senior. Wilson can be that guy!

Future Wilfrong?
smupony94

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:52 pm

The only issue we have is the shortage of 'ships. Can't afford to waste any until we get through these sanctions. Designated 3 point shooters and developing bigs are a nice luxury to have when you have a 13 man roster
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 pm

I cannot personally remember doing anything stupid, selfish, or self indulgent when I was between the ages of 18-21. If Harry didn't develop a sense of responsibility to his team mates by now then he needs to move on. I know nothing about the dynamics of this locker room. Maybe he wasn't accepted. Who knows? In a case like this when the player bails after two months then it is just as well.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:51 pm

smupony94 wrote:
whitwiki wrote:Guys don't run Wilson off. Every good team ever has the skinny white guy who rains threes and does nothing else. Wait till he's a senior. Wilson can be that guy!

Future Wilfrong?

That's how I see it but an upgrade. I agree that with the lack of 'ships we have to be a bit cold-blooded.
I'm rooting for the guy too....but guys get recruited over all the time.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:57 pm

It appears obvious Froling chose SMU for the opportunity to work with Larry Brown and to enhance his chances of playing professionally some day. The question is whether Wilson is at SMU for the same reason or whether he values an education from SMU. If he came here to play for LB and hone his craft like Froling, we might just see a "mutual" parting of the ways after this season
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:It appears obvious Froling chose SMU for the opportunity to work with Larry Brown and to enhance his chances of playing professionally some day. The question is whether Wilson is at SMU for the same reason or whether he values an education from SMU. If he came here to play for LB and hone his craft like Froling, we might just see a "mutual" parting of the ways after this season

Agreed. The fact that many thought he was considering leaving when Froling did wouldn't surprise me if he did at the end of the season. The thing that stops me is that he may just really want to play college ball and get better, which might make him want to stay since the transfer market for him probably isn't that large.

I was excited when we got Froling and hoped he was going to be good, but with how he played and it all shook out I don't think it will be a loss long term.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm

smupony94 wrote:

Future Wilfrong?

Fa sho
whitwiki
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball