PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cal Fires Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cal Fires Sonny Dykes

Postby Pony81 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

ChrisFowler wrote:Starting next season, Cal will require that 80 percent of its recruits have a 3.0 grade-point average.

Agreed: Chip's not going to Bezerkeley.

Yep that's a recipe for mediocrity..... I know Stanford has done it but Cal doesnt have the chops of Stanford.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Dwan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 am

Dykes was always a poor fit culturally at Cal. I don't think west coast recruiting ties are a big deal. The west is loaded with transplants. Chip Kelly recruited well at Oregon and he was from New Hamphire and never coached on the west coast until Oregon. Pete Carroll had been out of college coaching for decades when he went to USC. Mac at Colorado did well at SJSU after spending his career in the south. Urban Meyer did well at Florida having never coached In the south. Saban did well at LSU having never coached in the South. Dennis Erikson did well at Miami after spending his whole career in the Northwest. Sonny Dykes is not a very good coach....if he was, he would have gotten one of the many jobs he interviewed for. Give credit to Cal for not letting him pull a June Jones with ASI
Dwan
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Cal: Sources tell FootballScoop Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo has been contacted by Cal and is considered a strong candidate for the position. Several other programs have reached out to Niumatalolo over the past few seasons, including within the past month. None, so far, have been able to entice Niumatalolo to leave. Perhaps this will be the one… Will update as more is clear. http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm

I would love to see an option offense in the PAC 12.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Dwan wrote:Dykes was always a poor fit culturally at Cal. I don't think west coast recruiting ties are a big deal. The west is loaded with transplants. Chip Kelly recruited well at Oregon and he was from New Hamphire and never coached on the west coast until Oregon. Pete Carroll had been out of college coaching for decades when he went to USC. Mac at Colorado did well at SJSU after spending his career in the south. Urban Meyer did well at Florida having never coached In the south. Saban did well at LSU having never coached in the South. Dennis Erikson did well at Miami after spending his whole career in the Northwest. Sonny Dykes is not a very good coach....if he was, he would have gotten one of the many jobs he interviewed for. Give credit to Cal for not letting him pull a June Jones with ASI

As stated by others, Kelly HATED recruiting, and hired the best assistants to do the job, with him closing the deal. Think JJ hate of recruiting.

Cal is a big program torn between alums who want to compete with Stanford and the LA schools, but also keeping their academic standing (for what it is) in place. There is a REAL battle within that school as to the place of athletics, and how much emphasis it should have.

Leach would work well there...Kiffin too. The question is whether a coach like that would ever give them a sniff.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Topper wrote:I would love to see an option offense in the PAC 12.

IIRC, the last one was Oregon State in late 80's.

Can Niumatalolo coach other offenses? Not only does Cal not have the personnel to run the option, it would be a disaster for recruiting and results. Cal would sink even lower in the Pac-12 if they tried to run the option. However, I can see how he'd be attractive to Cal for his experience in both recruiting nationally and recruiting high GPA players.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football