PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BearcatTalk Game Thread Recap

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BearcatTalk Game Thread Recap

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 am

Always fun to go check out the opponent’s message board – all of the following comes from Bearcattalk forum over the course of the game thread. I have grouped the more interesting comments into various stages for your enjoyment…

http://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Stage 1: Denial:

Bearcats win by double digits. SMU is a joke.

SMU is weak. Highly overrated and Cats will expose this tonight. Double Digits

Crowd is pretty loud.

Letting Semi get started early could be bad.

Outplaying smu in every part of the game except rebounds.

All I know is we are playing like the top ten team we are. F the committee if they can't see it.

We aren't even considered a 4 seed right now and it's a joke.

Stage 2: Anger

Guess we're shaving again

Still a lot of time. SMU is average at best. We will win this.

Stage 3: Depression

We might lose by 20.

This is why we aren't a four seed. Couldnt put away a 6 man 25th ranked team.

That should be the game there. Ojeleye is the best player in this conference.

Stage 4: Acceptance

At moody prob top 5 toughest places to play in college basketball, small and loud. Smu is a really good team

By seasons end, the fact that we already beat SMU might end up being our best win because they very well could be top-10 by the time the NCAA Tourney rolls around.

Disappointed in how they played after getting the 9 point lead, but smu is a better team than us because they're really good. top 10-12 good. we are probably 15-20 good.

SMU is impressive. Really hope we get a rubber match. We need to face a team like that again before the NCAAs.

SMU played well, give them credit but we got out strategized badly in that second half. Refs did all they could to help us down the stretch too.

Give smu some credit... It's not that we played bad as much as they are a little better. There d was better and better shooters.

Smu starting five is better than our starting five... Our advantage is our depth , however without playing up tempo or trying to draw fouls that one advantage is worthless.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: BearcatTalk Game Thread Recap

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am

I like Cincinnati fans. Had a good time chatting with them yesterday. Same with Gonzaga fans last year.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am

That is great - thanks!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:17 am

I spent a little time over there as well. All in all, both on-line and in person, the Cincinnati fans seems to be pretty realistic and mostly good sports along the way. The flip side of them are Tulsa and Uconn, the former just having a massive inferiority complex (especially related to SMU) and the latter being the millennial generation of college basketball thinking they are just flat entitled to be better than they actually are. Memphis and Houston fanbases seem somewhere in the middle. Not sure where Temple would fit into the mix.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am

ponywhupp9202 wrote:I spent a little time over there as well. All in all, both on-line and in person, the Cincinnati fans seems to be pretty realistic and mostly good sports along the way. The flip side of them are Tulsa and Uconn, the former just having a massive inferiority complex (especially related to SMU) and the latter being the millennial generation of college basketball thinking they are just flat entitled to be better than they actually are. Memphis and Houston fanbases seem somewhere in the middle. Not sure where Temple would fit into the mix.

Houston still has a fanbase?

Halftime at a Men's game last season...

Yes - I know they are trying to fill the place for us - - I was at the UH game last year and it had to be their largest crowd.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:25 am

PonyTime wrote:Houston still has a fanbase?

They might have all been in the concourse
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 am

Houston will have a full crowd Saturday so all of us need to make it down there. No excuse if you live there.
smupony94

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:28 am

ponywhupp9202 wrote:I spent a little time over there as well. All in all, both on-line and in person, the Cincinnati fans seems to be pretty realistic and mostly good sports along the way. The flip side of them are Tulsa and Uconn, the former just having a massive inferiority complex (especially related to SMU) and the latter being the millennial generation of college basketball thinking they are just flat entitled to be better than they actually are. Memphis and Houston fanbases seem somewhere in the middle. Not sure where Temple would fit into the mix.

I agree. The Cincinnati fans in general seem to be realistic and have a good understanding of basketball.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Houston still has a fanbase?

They might have all been in the concourse

or grabbing an eightball in the 7-11 parking lot.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 am

I enjoy reading their threads especially after games like yesterday. However, a lot of those comments from the original post were around few people while the others were generally realistic. I think their poll had quite a few people vote for us winning, and we would never do that on our fan page. Anyways, just my takeaways from their site, they have few people (who doesn't) that live in denial, they have a few people who are in the anger/depression category, but a good numbers of them are in the acceptance category.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby freqz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:35 am

The Cinci fans have always seemed to at least have pretty high ball IQ-- I like that.

On the flip side, they don't meltdown like the boneyard so it's not nearly as much fun :lol:
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Cincy has a good fan base. The outrageous posts about double digits seemed to come from their very own village idiot.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby soccermom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm

smupony94 wrote:Houston will have a full crowd Saturday so all of us need to make it down there. No excuse if you live there.

It will be full.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:33 pm

soccermom wrote:
smupony94 wrote:Houston will have a full crowd Saturday so all of us need to make it down there. No excuse if you live there.

It will be full.

Like the Trump inauguration
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
soccermom wrote:

It will be full.

Like the Trump inauguration

No, like Lewinsky's mouth.

Oh no, I can't believe I said that! :shock:
ponyte

Next

Return to Basketball